16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  English guns
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Have dealt with Kirby in the past, he has good guns. Good luck purchasing the gun you want.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/860450746
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking double. Only wish it was a hammer gun. Will keep an eye on this one
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=551160#Post551160
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo why don't you consider a Scottish gun to go with Rusty
😀
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

Now there is a novel idea, because I am a Grouse Dog trainer I 2nd that notion!

Pine Creek/Dave

George Ryman's Pa Grouse Dog with L.C. Smith's 16 gauge shotgun, my great American guns and dogs.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

I thought about that. The Scottish guns I looked at were above my price range. If I don't stop missing out on work at my one job because of this ridiculous Coronavirus scare, I might not be buying anything.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:43 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I see a 32" barreled 16 for sale, choked cylinder and mod I think. Open right barrel anyway, so it would be a blue and ruffed grouse gun for me and I didn't feel that 32" barrels were such a good idea. I remember the slap my cheek once got when a 28" set was stopped abruptly by a small tree! Hasn't happened again, but 32" is probably an invitation for a repeat performance.

The 32" gun Kirby has listed is the one I bought that was slightly off face and had kinda of weird split in the stock in the pistol grip .

He had no issue with returning my money including shipping charges .
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Kirby is a very good source of interesting guns. I've bought from him in the past and would again. Scottish guns do seem to command a premium. They are usually a bit lighter than their British counterparts and can be finished very attractively. My brother has a fairly plain one in 20 that I insisted that he buy a few years ago. He still has it.

PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&ctl=GunsDetails&mid=409&StyleID=10&GunID=3231

A nice clean 16 SLE that I have actually handled. Last I heard the online listed price was not correct and closer to the upper $2k range with wiggle room. Might be an option for you if a light weight SLE meets your objectives.
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

PatrickB wrote:
http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&ctl=GunsDetails&mid=409&StyleID=10&GunID=3231

A nice clean 16 SLE that I have actually handled. Last I heard the online listed price was not correct and closer to the upper $2k range with wiggle room. Might be an option for you if a light weight SLE meets your objectives.

I own two Army & Navy sidelocks of the same era and they are very nice guns, especially for the money. The SLE came in 6 grades with a #6 priced at 19 pounds and a #1 - 45 pounds. If you wanted the gun without ejectors you could knock 5 pounds off the price. The aforementioned gun is a #6 and I own a #3 which I purchased from Hill Rod and Gun. I also purchased a Colonial grade gun (SLNE - 16 pounds 10 pence) from Hugh Lomas and he did a nice job of restoring the gun and putting it back on face. Hugh is now retired but he did good work and you could rely on this gun having been properly restored.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:50 am  Reply with quote

It's been said over the past 10 years that the best bargain in a quality double is a BLNE gun from the UK made between WWI and WWII. And has also been said, buy the gun, not the name. I have done business with both Kirby and Charlie (Hill Rod and Gun) and both carry fine products. They are retail, but don't be shy about negotiation. The market is soft on 12 ga. A typical gun will be choked C/F. Shorter barrels are less expensive than 28+". Despite labeling "Scotland", the action and barrels were often made in Birmingham, but there are guns that were made lock, stock and barrel in Scotland, but you'll pay for the Dickson and McNaughton guns. Guns made on the ubiquitous W&S 700 action don't have a replaceable hinge pin. However with the refinement of TIG welding, keeping a gun on face without replacing the pin is now a standard technique and a long lasting solution. The Brits have a different idea than Americans regarding re-conditioning. Many of the Brit guns have been refinished at some point in their 90-100 year old lives. It was not uncommon for owners to send the gun back to the maker during the off season for stripping, cleaning and cosmetic work.
While this is death to the value of American guns among collectors, not so with the Brits. The British Isles, and not just Scotland and England or only cities London and Birmingham, produced fine shotguns.
I note that Kirby currently has listed interesting guns from Wales and Ireland. I spoke with him two weeks ago and he is expecting a shipment of about 50 guns from the UK any day now. Good luck. Gil
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

I've been to Kirby's gun room in Wenatchee and there's just nothing like handling a gun in person. He has some seriously drool worthy guns there. I keep looking for the great white whale of guns, and thought I found it with my underlever 16 Belgian, but now I'm going to have to keep looking. A light Brit gun might be a good option, or I may just give up and get an Iside that I can customize to my heart's content.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-16-gauge/joseph-lang-16ga-2-3-4in-boxlock-ejector-very-nice.cfm?gun_id=101402802
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

I've actually looked at all of these listings and have my eye on some that are not mentioned here, but...this Coronavirus thing probably just ended my regular job for a while, so I am on hold at the moment.

The good news is that I may improving my situation as a result of that. A friend has been after for about 5 years me to partner with him farming in North Dakota. His kids weren't interested in farming and moved away to pursue other careers in welding and aircraft. I called him this week and told him I would. Just waiting on the details.

I will still be writing my magazine articles either way.