16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Skunked
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Well dog got it today. I went out to my woodshed to toss some trash in and he went around back. He came back around with one eye shut and I could smell skunk! Crap I tried to see where it got him no tell tale yellow oil. Anyway had this stuff called skunk off that I always have in his travel bag and tried it rather than use the traditional Dawn & Hydro. It seemed to help , we were preparing to head to my camp in NY so I put him in his kennel and away we went. I could smell it the whole way but not terrible anyway got to camp doused him again with it threw his ball for awhile. The ice had gone off the lake enough so I tossed his ball in the lake a couple times to rinse him off. We both still smell a little skunky. Taking my daughter out to dinner for her birthday tonight see if she notices my new cologne.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

Man that is a bummer, skunks are a real pain to good gun dog. Unfortunately it smells worse to a human than it does to a dog.

Good luck with the daughters birthday dinner.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Theres a product called Technu, spell check? It’s used for removing poison ivy oil but works wonders on skunk oil.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:09 am  Reply with quote

My dogs have been skunked 5 times over the years and I'm still a fan of the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn soap mix. I have a plastic tote with two pre-measured bags of ingredients, long rubber gloves and cheap, throw-away wash cloths and towels. I just empty out the tote, mix the ingredients, put on the rubber gloves and go to work. Usually two or three douchings are required to make the dog tolerable. My best plan lately has been to not let my dogs out of the kennel if I can smell a skunk around home. So far, I've never had a dog skunked while hunting. Porcupines? Yup, I'll take the skunk over porkie any day.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Gents I plan on doing the Dawn mix couple times today. Hope it warms up a little so I can clean his kennel and truck better . I fried some maple bacon(which I hate ) in the camp to help out with the smell here. I threw the bacon away after it did its job. I'll get a couple new collars coming from Lion country today. You are right Riflemeister skunk before porky any day! Joe
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56 am  Reply with quote

I always keep a bottle of Skunk-Off, rubber gloves, and paper towels in the truck.

https://www.entirelypets.com/skunkoff8oz.html
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:30 am  Reply with quote

My Golden growing up used to LOVE skunks !! He'd seek them out when out hunting . He'd play with them and eventually got to the tail and wham ! Just roll over , rub his eyes and go back to playing ! Old man would be sooo PO'd !! Nick is pretty woke on skunks too .! The setters would find them and whamo . Never seemed to bother me much and never minded helping with the sudsing ! Everytime we go by a road kill , I'm wafting it in as wifey is hanging out the window gagging !

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 am  Reply with quote

The traditional baking soda, Dawn and hydrogen peroxide seemed to do the trick better than the skunk off. I'll add rubber gloves for the next time. Did his kennel with the same mixture and later with white vinegar. You can still smell it just not nearly as strong. Cleaned the tuck out too which needed it anyway. Now I've got to get rid of the skunk before he gets nailed again. Thanks for all the advice guys. Joe
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:02 am  Reply with quote

I've used both and prefer the Skunk-Off. The residual skunky smell is mild and gone in a couple days.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have used the skunk-off it works to a point. I find nothing works all that well to remove all the smell immediately however.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainer

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 am  Reply with quote

You are correct, PCD. I go with the Skunk-Off for convenience, and it I believe it's easier on the dog's coat. Fortunately we haven't been skunked for a few years.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,

I have been lucky for the past few years also, I hope I did not just jinx us both!

Pine Creek/Dave

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

agree there is nothing that eliminates it completely. One of the most staunch points Cooper has had was on a skunk. That did not work out well either. I'ts gonna cost me some money though. Two new chairs for camp, needed them anyway.