16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  More on my new Sweet Sixteen
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Stay the course Turkman. Browning will get this right in short order, as they must. And one of them will grace my gunsafe when they come out with a POW model.

It’s called progress. If everyone clung to their old favorite, we’d still be shooting arquebuses and looking down our noses at those new-fangled matchlocks.

Cheers
B.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:14 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59821_600x400/] [/URL]

I have both Turkman and have been a Browning fan since I was a kid and bought a Sweet 16 . For some reason as light and whippy as both my Benelli UL 28 and new Sweet are I shoot them very well. As I mentioned before I didn't feel the quality of the stocks on the new Browning is nearly as good or as solid as in some of my other Brownings and not nearly as good as the Benelli. No, I'm not a Benelli fan, except for the one I have! Sounds like Browning is taking care of you. I'm going to contact them to see what they will do for the chip that came out of my stock by the trigger guard. I have not had good results with their customer service. Hope they help me out with this. Joe
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I just contacted Browning Customer service, very pleasant experience they could not have been more helpful. I told the gentleman what the issue was on my Sweet 16. He told me that they would send me a prepaid shipping label for the gun and would replace the stock given the location of the chip. I stand corrected, my last experience was with one of my X-bolt rifles that did not lead to my satisfaction at all. Hope yours go well too Turk... Joe
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Cold Iron,

Dare I ask how your new Sweet 16 compares to the BUL (12ga?)

B.

Soggy socks gave a great comparison for his 28 BUL.

My BUL is 26" 12 and have had it since they first came out which must be at least a dozen or more years ago. Have shot a fair amount of skeet and SC with it using 7/8 oz. loads and put a Kick EEZ recoil pad on it. It eats and ejects any and everything I feed it without a hiccup.

Some had issues with the BUL stock cracking with heavy hunting loads when they first came out same as the A5's. But I never had any issues of any type with mine. The stock on the BUL is not a standard wood stock it is compressed wood of some type with a wood looking overlay. The A5 is real wood but it is very soft and lacks density, which is what makes it light weight.

The weight balance is fairly neutral on the BUL but for some reason I shoot it extremely well, as most people seem to do. My preference for late season pheasants in SD is 1 1/4 oz. of #5 and it is my go to gun there.

My A5 Sweet 16 has been cut down from 28" to 23" and the grip reshaped so it is now a bit more neutral in balance also. With the 28" bbl. it swung extremely well on clays and I put a lot of rounds though it the first year. Now it is my go to gun for ruff grouse in thick grouse cover and I love it. They each have their place and use for me.

First year shooting the A5 at SC the extractor broke on me. Stopped at a Browning authorized repair shop on the way home and they fixed it for me, 15 minutes in and out. I made a comment that I was glad they had a spare for it on hand and he made a comment which me believe it was not the first time they had done it.

Also have a Benelli 12 ga. Cordoba mainly for clays but also waterfowl if I want to. Love it too although I shoot a lot of O\U's and SxS's at clays also. But with the Benelli's I don't worry about malfunctions I just shoot them. Inherited an original Benelli Sport that must have at least 100k rounds through it without a problem. It was used every week for years for skeet, the occasional round of SC and hunting each fall. And is still ticking fine.

If Benelli made a 16 ga. and had a choice between that or a Browning A5 16 I would have picked the Benelli in a heart beat. But they don't. And have no regrets with the A5 Sweet 16. Good chance I will pick up another at some point and keep it intact for clays, it is a fun gun to shoot.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:58 am  Reply with quote

If Benelli made a 16 ga. and had a choice between that or a Browning A5 16 I would have picked the Benelli in a heart beat. But they don't. And have no regrets with the A5 Sweet 16. Good chance I will pick up another at some point and keep it intact for clays, it is a fun gun to shoot.
[u]

What cold Iron said about the Benelli in 16 , but I would buy the A5 too and have both. Mine is shipped out, I'll let you know how it looks when it comes back. There is a lady who shoots a Benelli 12 UL at our club. Shoots in our squad quite often with her husband. I shot it at a station last year to see how the recoil was and was surprised how light the recoil was