16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester Dove & Quail Hulls What Wad?
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I have a bag of about 100 hulls I decided to reload, but can't figure out what wad is right for 1 oz loads. Most of my loads are Cheddite hulls, either new or various manufacturer's offerings, but I just can't figure out these hulls.

Winchester Dove & Quail, 1oz #8 shot, 2 3/4"

Headstamp, no stars

8 point crimp, all my other hulls are 6 point

Interior dimensions are: Depth to base wad; 2.635", Bottom of hull .621" dia, halfway up, .640" dia, Top, below crimp, .694" dia.

The wads I currently have are: Rem SP-16, .632" dia, WAA-16, .632" dia, and SG-16, .653" dia.

Trying my standard Cheddite load of 1 oz @ 1200 fps, using the SG-16 wad and Universal Clays, I don't get enough stack height and very dished crimps. Is an overshot wad my best choice or develop a 1 1/8 oz load?

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 am  Reply with quote

YOU hit the jackpot

PM sent to you Smile

These are compression formed Winchester hulls

Mike

castnblast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,
Claybuster makes the CB78 which is the same as your WWAA wad with a bump in the base to take up space. I use these for my 1oz loads in WCF and Fed hulls. Jeff
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

You just need to use data for the Win compression formed hulls .
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the info guys. I guess I found the holy grail of the 16 ga hulls. All I need now is to remember where they came from. Geezer memory thing.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Throw them out. They are obsolete tapered wall hulls, not current technology straight wall hulls.

Seriously.

Ok now I need to run for cover here fast. But I'm sticking to my guns, don't use those hulls, they will cause you trouble in the long run. Yes they allow beautiful crimps and can be reloaded many times. But because the walls are thicker at the base than at the crimp, the plastic wads conform to the thicker walls at the base and can cause blowby as the wads travel down the hull. This creates the likelihood of bloopers and duds which can be dangerous if the wad lodges in the barrel. This is not the case with straight wall hulls, only tapered wall hulls. I hold a minority view here (maybe a minority of one), but I advise against using them.

Cheers All
B.

Last edited by Brewster11 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Use to love loading the old compression-formed 20 gauge cases. They would crimp greasy tight, and didn't even need perfect folds to hold the shot in firmly. I'm sitting on a couple thousand old cf AA 12 gauge hulls that I can't throw out. Might buy another SxS just for them.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Throw them out. They are obsolete tapered wall hulls, not current technology straight wall hulls.

Seriously.

Ok now I need to run for cover here fast. But I'm sticking to my guns, don't use those hulls, they will cause you trouble in the long run. Yes they allow beautiful crimps and can be reloaded many times. But because the walls are thicker at the base than at the crimp, the plastic wads conform to the thicker walls at the base and can cause blowby as the wads travel down the hull. This creates the likelihood of bloopers and duds which can be dangerous if the wad lodges in the barrel. This is not the case with straight wall hulls, only tapered wall hulls. I hold a minority view here (maybe a minority of one), but I advise against using them.

Cheers All
B.

Really ? April fools right ?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

RM ., those Cb 1oz wads are perfect for those hulls using Unique, Universal or HS6 powder .
4setters
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rmeister,

My main reloading hull for the past 50 years. Still have about 500 used hulls and about 500 new ones! No, I'm not changing my will. Totally reliable in all my guns, including my BPS which doesn't eat Chedittes. No bloopers ever, except when I forgot to blow bird feathers out of used hulls before reloading. The Dove and Quail (and Rabbit and Squirrel) hulls are the best of the Winchester CF hull, but they go way back to the late 60s in terms of Upland or high brass Mark 5 hulls (the crimps just aren't as pretty).

Since this hull is tapered and dates back to the late 60s in terms of dimensions, the old Remington SP16 and R16 and Winchester WAA16 wads (and Claybuster 1 oz wads, same as the old Winnies) are designed for this hull (and Remington hulls) in terms of diameter. The newer Chedditte hulls are slightly larger in diameter and do not fit Dove and Quail hulls well.

I load my #5 HS-6 pheasant loads in this hull, HV 7.5s in Win Mark 5s; a one oz. load in Winchester CF steel load hulls--a quick look at the CF hull and I know what it contains. (I do load my #7 steel loads in Federals and Chedittes as the steel wad fits them better.)

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke