16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A sad occurrence
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 am  Reply with quote

(I'm not sure what happened to my initial draft)

On Monday, the 23rd of March, at 5:07 PM, our beloved Llewellyn Setter (a subset of English Setter) Hank, drifted off to the next life.

He was 10 years, 9 months, 6 days old, or approximately (using the 7 to 1 rule) 75.374 human years.

A mass in his chest - which had been coming about for some 9 months, suffocated him. He had diminished from from his robust weight of approximately 65 pounds down to skin & bones.

Together he got every moment that he was due.

He passed on as a beloved pet should, in his home, with his family at his side.

The last three and a half months were hard, but he always made sure that he and I maintained eye contact - and together we took the life experience to its heart breaking end.

We've never had to put a pet down however, I can't help but wonder what percentage of pets go the way of a vet ?

OBTW, as we do with all our beloved pets, he was buried in our yard - on the spot he last stood surveying 'his yard', looking for rabbits in the dawn light.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the loss of your partner.

Here's to old dogs and great memories!

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:42 am  Reply with quote

So sorry Bill. That's way too young to lose one.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 am  Reply with quote

BillK,

Sorry about your loss, this year has been similar around here. The way to over come this is to get another nice English Setter pup. Its the quickest way to set your home back to normal for sure. The attention the pup demands helps to eliminate dwelling on the family loss.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Our new Ryman Setter pup, Maggie Mae sleeping under the office desk. We also have a 9 month old Gordon Setter pup to make sure I am kept busy. I do take the loss of my Grouse dogs very hard, the pups help greatly.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

Bill,
So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost a setter last fall to tragic circumstances and he was only 8 1/2 years old. It is always tough to lose your hunting buddy and a new pup always helps. We generally have two or three wandering around the house and we are down to one. If the virus restrictions permit I pick up a new pup in Idaho on May 9th.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Purple16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Heartfelt condolences for your loss.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

So sorry, Bill. That hits home. We just lost our rabbit patrol in December.
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

I pray that my dogs could go like yours, in a familiar, comfortable environment. Unfortunately it has not turned out that way. May you take some satisfaction in that and that you gave him the best life you could. We will continue to love and lose our best friends.

Nothing can replace our dogs but Pine Creek Dave was correct. The only thing that eases the pain (nothing takes it away) is another dog.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, bill. I lost my 11 year old golden retriever a few months ago. It really sucks.

You have my condolences.

Last edited by SweetAndNot16 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:54 am  Reply with quote

It is indeed a sad time. You have my condolences. Gil
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Sad to hear of Hank's passing, he sounds like he was a special dog. My older GSP, Bode is 10 1/2 now and getting slower and more prone to injury, so I can see the day coming. Having an older dog makes it difficult to read about others losing their senior dog without getting a lump in your throat. I guess we can only love them, make their lives full and rewarding, and accept the inevitable loss, as tough as it may be.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:24 am  Reply with quote

You have my sincere condolences . As I've stated before , I buried relatives I cared less about .
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 am  Reply with quote

My condolences as well, my heart goes out to you. My present dog, Cooper, is going to be 6 in June. I got him as soon as my other two passed. It helped me a lot, I was by their graves yesterday cleaning away the winter debris and still teared up. As I have said before there is a special bond between a hunting dog especially a bird dog and its master.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Bill, first, there are no words that will do justice to the memory of loved one. That said, this is why memories contain great power and significance. Your little buddy left too soon (they always do no matter what the age), but it is obvious that you loved Hank, and shared a decade of joy with him. His days were well spent and that is what we all wish for our dogs.

My Rusty is only a little past 7 and his breed is known for longevity, but I know that at anytime that can end, be it from a mountain lion, a bear, a wolf, or any other sudden unexpected fright. I hope he gets gets to pass gently at home, like Katie did only 2 months after Rusty entered my life. But I know there are no guarantees, the rattlesnake incident a few years ago was stark reminder. This is one of many reasons I will probably always be a one dog man. I just don't have the heart to say goodbye on a regular basis.

I pray your heart will soon again be warmed by an energetic bundle of fur, a blank page which many autumns wait to be written upon. God bless, and may the dawn be kind.
[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59710_1024x682/] [/URL]][/img]

hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
This is one of many reasons I will probably always be a one dog man. I just don't have the heart to say goodbye on a regular basis.

WyoChukar, I’m just the opposite. After losing my last and only dog this past November, I said I will never have only 1 again. At least 2 from now on, staggered in age. Coming home to a house without a dog to greet me is just devastating every day.