16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  new loads?
Ken
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

When looking to for new loads what is more important velocity or shot load? Im looking good grouse load. ill be going to the UP this fall so looking for a good load for the trip. I have RGL hulls and Active hulls so that covers a lot capacity. I knew a guy that had a load he loved that 7/8 and fast.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

My opinion:

For targets I like about 1200 fps

For game, give me velocity

Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 am  Reply with quote

1150-1200 is plenty of velocity for ruffed grouse. Hard to improve on 1 oz. of 7.5's in this range. Nothing wrong with 1 oz. factory loads from Remington, Winchester, or Federal if you don't come up with your own.

Last edited by double vision on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Ken,

You are going to see everything from 1100 FPS to 1400+ FPS. #9's to #4's and 1/2 oz. to 1 3/8 oz.

Somewhere in there is the right velocity, shot size and payload that fits your hunting/clays situation.

IMHO, using 2 3/4" hulls - 7/8 oz., 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. load fit the 16 perfectly. Velocities from 1200 to 1300 FPS are about right, but I don't mind pushing the 7/8 oz. loads a bit faster. Shot sizes from #9 to #5 are very useful and they pattern well in the 16.

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Ken +1 on what Dave says. Now, if you want to get into overthinking it;
If using a pump or semi,the one in the pipe is a 7/8 oz of 8's and the ones in the mag are 1oz 6's. If using a SxS ,especially a double trigger, the right barrel gets the 7/8 oz load and the left gets the 1oz of sixes. these combos are great when youre just as likely to flush a woodcock as a grouse. For just grouse, I've moved more into the 6's camp with the probably erroneous belief that they penetrate the leaves/brush better.
Now PLEASE don't ask what chokes are best. Laughing

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

In my way of thinking, 7 1/2's and smaller are for targets, which are fragile and often give one only an edge profile to hit (skeet and some sporties), so pattern density is important. Game shot starts at #7 for me, no matter how small the bird, how open the choke or how close the bird. If you think that 7's vs. 7 1/2's is splitting hairs, note that a #7 has, at any given velocity about 17% greater energy than a #7 1/2. Of course, any given charge of shot #7's has that same 17% fewer pellets than the same charge of #7 1/2's. I think 300 pellets in a one ounce pattern of #7's properly choked for the range and size of the target is plenty dense enough for the smallest of upland birds, except maybe hummingbirds, but the limit on those is too small to make much of a meal anyway. As the bird gets larger and/or range is further, a greater pellet energy is necessary to insure a solid downing of the bird, and the trade-off in pattern density made by selecting larger shot is justifiable and sensible.

Now, using the only remaining channel of dispute on the comparison of 7's and 7 1/2's, some will say, "But I'll get 17% more pellets on the bird!" OK, I'll grant you that, but please tell me how many pellets that would be? If you are used to getting 6 pellets of #7's in your bird, and that is a lot, you'll get maybe one more with 7 1/2's. Now look at how much further down range the #7 retains the same energy as the #7 1/2. It's going to be about 17% further. That means the #7 retains as much energy at 30 yards as the 7 1/2 does at 25 -- as much energy at 45 as the 7 1/2 has at 38. I like my odds with the #7.
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

I can regularly drop pen raised chukar at 40-45yards with 7.5s. Just my experience. I don’t get much chance to hunt wild birds, except dove, and 7.5 or 8 shot seems to work fine. Ymmv.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
I can regularly drop pen raised chukar at 40-45yards with 7.5s. Just my experience. I don’t get much chance to hunt wild birds, except dove, and 7.5 or 8 shot seems to work fine. Ymmv.

I’ve hunted ruffed grouse for over 45 years here in WI and never had a problem killing them with 7 1/2’s.
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

hunted ruffies and blues a few times, I used 1 1/16oz of #7 shot with a spreader insert, about 1300+ fps. Not unusual, use it on early phez in first barrel ( in my neck of woods, might encounter quail too) chukar and huns too.
Works great.
I used longshot and a z trap commander wad, cheddite hull.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Most importantly is the velocity to match YOUR TIMING , missing is a mute point .

Roll up your sleeves and put in the due diligence.

Tradition and always have done it this or that way is great , but if one wants to find out for themselves what is best then one has to do the work.

Give me small payloads of small shot at higher than accepted as the normal velocity , less wear and tear on the gun and shooter .

Dead birds can't tell the difference.

Regards Nick
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson says
Quote:
I’ve hunted ruffed grouse for over 45 years here in WI and never had a problem killing them with 7 1/2’s.

Thanks for this reply, Dave. It is impossible to argue with experience, and I do not doubt yours. I do however, question the shots quantified in the 40-45 yard range by some. I don't doubt some birds are taken that far out, but I doubt it is many, and the percentage of birds taken vs. those attempted I would guess is quite low. I'd ask those folks to put one of their dead birds on a fencepost or on the ground, belly down, measure off a true 45 yards and see what it looks like. Then trace on a piece of paper the vital area of a bird in question -- a chukar, for instance. Set it out there at 45 yards and see how many pellets they can get into the vital areas of this still target, even with a full choke gun and 1 1/8 ounces of 7 1/2's. For sure the bird can be killed, but not many folks make real 45 yard shots on flying birds small enough for a 7 1/2 to break a bone (wing) or otherwise bring them down (penetration to vital organs) without head/neck shots. Hits on the small head and neck areas are quite low percentage at those ranges. Put a nickel or a quarter-sized target out there with a thick shoestring attached for the neck. That's about what you've got to hit with a partridge or a grouse. Shoot up a storm from 45 yards and see your hit percentage on that little target. The point? -- You'll get more hits on the body and wings than on the head and neck, and the penetration of a heavier pellet at those ranges will increase your chances of downing the bird. More choke will help, of course, but will require the shooter to be more accurate.

There would be only slightly fewer vital hits, (less than one on average!) with #7's, but the possibility of knocking the bird down is much greater with 17% more energy in each pellet. Frankly, if I were shooting 40-45 yard birds, I would be shooting #6's, even with birds as small as the grey partridge (Hungarians), the chukar or the ruffed grouse. With that I'd have 33% more per pellet energy than a #7. It goes without saying, of course, that with larger, tougher birds like pheasants and especially ducks, at some point 5's and even 4's make sense at even shorter ranges, depending on target presentation, because more pellet energy is necessary for penetration.

Rationale is rational, and it is hard to argue with the real physical world. Choices based on facts take some of the guesswork out of our journey toward experience. Rationality makes me feel much better using 7's as the smallest shot for game rather than 7 1/2's. It is just my choice. It doesn't have to be anyone else's choice to make me happy. Not everyone has this choice, especially if they don't load their own, with U.S. sized 7's in factory loads hardly ever seen here now. Not everyone needs this choice, depending on range. Not everyone cares, and not everyone will be able to tell the difference for various reasons. I just happen to care and believe that somewhere along the line the difference has shown up or will show up for me.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Tony, you really can't even see beyond 30 yards where I hunt ruffed grouse.

I don't use 7.5's on the prairie. I'm with you on your logic, and Brit 6's which are about US 6.5 size are about as small as I go when not in the ruffed grouse thickets.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Dave and Maximum :

How about you fellers lining up a really dense population of Ruff Grouse , I have been wanting to hunt that bird .

We will take one day and you fellers take all the data and measurements of all aspects of my shooting with tiny loads and report back the findings.

Too bad you didn't make it out to the reservation Dave it was world class hunting back then , now you have to work for them .

This would be real fun data to post.

Regards Nick
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good, Nick. I have no doubt you'd do very well with your loads. I'd like to see them in action.

I've always had to work for my birds, and I prefer it that way.

I used to have a buddy who only hunted game farms, still does. Many years ago I invited him to hunt wild birds with me and when I said I couldn't guarantee a limit every time, and we might even get skunked he couldn't get himself to do it. I came to appreciate his choice.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Here’s the flip side of the coin:

Way back in the day I took a crossing shot at a pheasant about 35 yds out. It was a 12 ga load of No. 4. Away it kept flying as we watched it glide to land in a dirt patch about a quarter mile away.

Then my buddy said “Hey, it bounced!” We hurried over and sure enough there it was, stone dead. That evening I cleaned it carefully and found where FOUR pellets (if not five or six) went completely through the chest cavity and out the other side. So much for penetration and energy!

For me it cements the old guideline “break a wing and a leg” which argues for more, not larger, pellets.

Ok this was a pheasant not a grouse which sometimes die of fright it seems, having once bagged one with .22 BIRDSHOT!

Either way I’m switching from 7 1/2 to 6 for grouse just to plow through the thick evergreen foliage out here.

Cheers
B.

PS Tradition has it out here that the preferred (and legal!) load for grouse is .270 Winchester by bored and hungry deer hunters. I’ll break with tradition in that respect however.