16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Stack Height Issue
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Hoping for some help with this load. It’s a 2-3/4” Cheddite Hull. The load I have calls for 20.5 gns of Universal, SG-16 wad, and 1 oz of shot. For some reason there’s too much space in the Hull. I’ve checked and double checked my powder measurements and still too much space to get a good crimp. I’ve used this before but may have used a pinto bean. That was back when I started reloading and no longer want to have to do that. I have not reloaded 16’s other than roll crimps in a few years. Thanks in advance.
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:26 am  Reply with quote

How much space? A little or a lot?

A couple of ideas pop into my head. Cut filler wads from foam egg cartons with a 5/8" hollow punch, or use some dry beans? If you can change your crimp depth to load trimmed cases to 2.5" you might be in luck.

Or get a different plastic wad. Look thru the tables here;

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/83/1/16-gauge-society
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I don't know how much height you're lacking, but my go to is almost always an overshot card.
gomerdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Hoping for some help with this load. It’s a 2-3/4” Cheddite Hull. The load I have calls for 20.5 gns of Universal, SG-16 wad, and 1 oz of shot. For some reason there’s too much space in the Hull. I’ve checked and double checked my powder measurements and still too much space to get a good crimp. I’ve used this before but may have used a pinto bean. That was back when I started reloading and no longer want to have to do that. I have not reloaded 16’s other than roll crimps in a few years. Thanks in advance.

Whenever I encounter a stack height problem I use fiber wads as shown below in the link and slice off a layer using an Exacto knife with whatever thickness I need to make stack height correct. So if you are loading 16 gauge shells, I would use a piece of a 24 gauge fiber wad to make appropriate height. A little time consuming and probably not ideal but it works for me.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fiber-Cushion-Filler-Wad-1_2/productinfo/FC/
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Is the number on the wad bag 072sg16? I've done lots of those loads with no fillers. Are you compressing the wad? Only needs to contact the powder.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 am  Reply with quote

I have to backup what Savage16 wrote.

Make sure it is the longer of the two SG16 wads and do not use any wad pressure.

Another item. Is your bar actually dropping 1 oz. of shot?

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

I load the same load, had to use with nitro card under shot or felt cushion. Crimps very nice and shoots the same
Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 am  Reply with quote

I tried trimming to 2-1/2” and did not have enough room. I do believe I’m dropping the proper amount of shot. I’ll look to see what wads I have. I have some thicker fiber wads I can try cutting. Should I put them under the plastic wad? I tried two 28 gauge over shot cards and still did not have enough room.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Swampy, I use a foam wad I cut out on drill press. I can get the foam in sq. sheets of various thickness at Joan fabrics. I took a key hole cutter 5/8's and made a wad cutter out of it. Put the cutter in my drill press and can cut out 100 in less than 3 min.
Also I can show you how to make the 16 AA wad work with no powder creep. Wads are a heck a lot cheaper than DR,cheddite or any of the others. Been doing it a few years now at trap and winning my share of the games against thev12ga guns.
gomerdog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
I tried trimming to 2-1/2” and did not have enough room. I do believe I’m dropping the proper amount of shot. I’ll look to see what wads I have. I have some thicker fiber wads I can try cutting. Should I put them under the plastic wad? I tried two 28 gauge over shot cards and still did not have enough room.

I put the sliced pieces right on top of the shot and then crimp.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Here is the load just like the OP submitted.

I weighed the powder and shot. 20.5 grains Universal and 436.8 grains #7.5 shot. Cheddite hull with the SG-16 Gualandi wad. No fillers, nothing else. Crimp depth is about 0.065", which is about what I always use....thickness of a dime.

The machine was setup to load Federal hulls using Remington wads, 800-X and 1 1/8 oz. of #6. I did not touch the settings.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:52 am  Reply with quote

That is my go to load for 16 ga and I've got buckets of them loaded with no fillers or over shot cards. Nice crimps and swats birds out the air with no problems.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

I wonder what I’m doing wrong. I have red cheddites which I know are the same as the green. I’m using nickel plated 7’s which should actually take up a bit more room.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019-looks like about a perfect finished product. I like the black mounting bars-did you buy them somewhere?
Swampy- we might need pics to help you further. I don't see that you've mentioned here what loader you are using??

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16,

Those loads are my favorite 1 oz. 16 gauge load. They pretty much fall together. I use both the SG16 and the B & P 16 gauge wad.

Here are the brackets:

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=MM&i=MCA12