16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  More on my new Sweet Sixteen
Turkman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:36 am  Reply with quote

I posted a while back about my experience with this gun. The stock broke in half after the first six shots were fired in the new gun. Browning was good to fix it at no cost and paid the shipping.

Unfortunately, on the next outing with it, the stock broke again. I had hoped that the new stock, that was very straight grained with the grain fully parallel to the length of the receiver, would be fine. Not so. It split right down the center, right along the grain.

Man, am I ever frustrated. Back to Browning it goes for a few more months of waiting to see if this ever gets resolved to my satisfaction. I wonder if I would be better off if they would just return my money. What a pain.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Out of curiosity,whats the recoil like?
Turkman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I've been shooting a browning citori lightning feather in 16. The recoil of the A5 seems like nothing to me. It's fun to shoot, until you notice the stock has broken in half, and then tears start to form in your eyes from a different kind of pain
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Turkman,
I'm curious, was the break along the buttstock "bolt" hole, which runs the entire length of the stock with the take up nut at the very back of the stock and contains the inertia spring? (This differs from the old style 5 or 6 inch bolt that screwed directly into the receiver/plate on most older pumps/automatics, with a small diameter hole for the bolt itself and a larger hole toward the rear of the stock for inserting a tool to tighten the bolt.)

The reason I ask, is that the difference in the take up bolt/inertia rebound spring on these new A5s presents some different issues as opposed to the older short bolt setup. Since the stock is secured at the back of the stock, instead of up near the pistol grip (internally of course), and a larger hole runs through the pistol grip area, the entire stock is "stressed" when the take up nut is tightened at the rear of the stock, as opposed to only the pistol grip area under the older setup.

I'm not taking my stock off my new A5 again to look at things, but it would seem that there could be some possible issue with the inertia spring contacting the stock during gun firing???

Any pictures of the busted stocks?

mw

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, that's weird, and unfortunate. I've never heard of anything like that on a new gun. I have seen first hand one of the new sweets with a crack, but not an entire break. That sucks.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Turkman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/zLsXsGJSG5qeY4Rh7[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/F6SSToPV3Rb4NAUK6[/img]

The second one, top pic, broke along the full length, pretty much along the buttstock hole described.

The first one broke with the grain at the wrist.

Man, I was excited about this gun. Now just bewildered and frustrated. Dropped it off at UPS today, on its way to MO.
Turkman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

and if there are any tips on how to post these pics, let me know
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Turkman, that looks close. See if your photo host has other link options. Look for a "forum" option.

Here's one of mine. I left off the last bracket to keep it from showing the image.

[IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/P38D2A.jpg[/IMG
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hang in there it is worth it although I hate to read that you had issues with the replacement stock.

Sounds like Browning didn't do a proper job of inletting the stock. Been there and done that before. On other guns and rifles. I am not a fan of Browning's in general they just don't fit me in general... Until the new A5 Sweet 16. Well there is the Cynergy 20 ga. but it is so ugly that no one in there right mind would shoot one. In public. It is very like a Beretta but only in feel. In looks it is in Wikipedia under the definition of ugly. As sin.

Good friend of mine last name is Browning and he is a shirt tail relative of John Browning. But most all Browning's just don't feel right to me. Period. My friend always gave me a hard time about my "spaghetti" guns because I prefer my Italian guns.

Mentioned to me a lot about the Benelli UL and the stocks cracking when they first came out but I killed a lot of pheasants with mine. And shot thousands of rounds of skeet with 7/8 oz. 12 ga loads with no problems. And heavy loads. His last relative retired with the name Browning and was a relative retired last year. He made a trip to Utah and picked up this shirt.

Jeff used to put on the Sweet 16 shoots and when he advertised it posted several bins of purple 16 ga. hulls. He bought them from Mark.

Shot the heck out of it, and shot well, but shooting sporting clays at Horse and Hunt it finally failed to eject and the extractor broke. Thin as all get out but I stopped at Alhamans on the way home. 15 minutes they replaced it no questions asked and no charge. Browning dealer and repair center. I want it to work and when it doesn't want good service. Worked for me. I am recoil sensitive and IMO it has almost almost no recoil.

But way too long for grouse hunting in the thick grouse covers I hunt. So had Briley cut it down to 23" which is the same OAL as my 26" Ithaca 37 16 ga. guns. And now is almost the same OAL as my 26" BUL pheasant gun.

And handles perfectly for ruff. As in 8 out of 10 shots are a kill. Seriously.

Dave Ericson had his converted to a straight grip. I had mine converted to a POW by Mr. Larson like Browning should have.

The dog likes it.

Not sure why so many are blind Browning fan boys. But the Sweet 16 A5 works for me. With modifications.

Good luck and hope they finally get the stock seated to your gun!

It is worth it...
Turkman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

thanks. I've really liked the sweet 16 during the short periods I've had it. Fits me well. Great gun for toting up chukar hills. But I've lost confidence. I hope the next repair will be for good. Browning notified me they received the gun today so I'm waiting to hear what they plan to do.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:22 am  Reply with quote

I like my Sweet 16 a lot. I shoot it lights out at birds(pheasants) both wild and released. In my opinion the quality is nowhere near the quality of my original Sweet. It's smoother and as reliable, certainly lighter. It is a joy to carry.

But
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59709_600x400/] [/URL]

In my other Brownings both autos and O/Us I think the quality of the wood in the stock is better and probably heavier. The guns I have used for years in the grouse woods and elsewhere show less wear on the stock, less dings etc. than this one short term. Maybe that's where they saved some weight using lighter softer wood, is that possible? Possibly causing issues with cracked stocks. Just cleaned mine again the other day and after I noticed this chip where the trigger group meets the grip. In my other Browning autos I've never had this issue. What do you think? Joe
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

If that is the stress point, it will crack the stock. The receiver needs to support the stock. You can't have the trigger housing supporting the stock.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

Dare I ask how your new Sweet 16 compares to the BUL (12ga?)

B.
Turkman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 am  Reply with quote

As an update: Browning does stand behind their products in my experience. They are shipping me a brand new gun. I do wish I could get a hypothesis from them about what is going on. In handling the stock when I switched the shim, it is incredibly light. To me, the biggest difference in the older A5s and the newer is the wood. The old ones feel like a traditional field gun where the new ones are so much noticeably lighter that it feels like a different product all together.

I need to decide. Do I have faith in this gun? If I am going to abandon ship, the best time to sell will be now, new in box, no known issues. I've never been a benelli guy, but after this, the UL 28 gauge is catching my attention. Maybe switch?
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

That new browning might as well be a Benelli. I refuse to buy one because of it. Nothing better then the auto 5. I have several golds and a silver. No problems at all with them. In my opinion the new A5 is to light and feels cheap. I’m sure J Browning has turned over in his grave many times. I would rather they would have designed their own system instead of copying someone else. Benelli may be a good gun, however, I will put any one of my auto 5 up against it anytime and anywhere, including one that’s over 100 years old.