16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Playing around with some rifle loads.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:30 am  Reply with quote

Trying to remain sane in this mess we are in right now. Once the weather started to get better in March I went to the range a few times to do some testing with my 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X bolt I had it re barreled by HART in NY and got it back a few days before the NY deer season started so I quickly sighted it in with factory Hornady ELD X and shot a buck with it. I love to see what I can get out of a rifle for accuracy so I've been loading and shooting it when I get the chance. I've been loading either the Nosler 130 Accubond and the 143 Hornady Eld-X bullets. Shot this group yesterday 100 yards.

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59883_600x400/] [/URL]

The 130 Noslers shoot similar just a little bit larger neither will bounce off a whitetail I suspect. Very little experience with the ELD Xx but have shot a lot of game with the Noslers. Suspect either would work well of the whitetails
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59884_600x400/] [/URL]
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 am  Reply with quote

Nice shooting! I'm a big fan of the Nosler Accubond also. My two main hunting rifles are a 280 Ackley (140 gr Accubond @ 3150 fps) and a 6.5-06 (130 gr Accubond @3120 fps). I've shot quite a few antelope and mule deer with both rifles and have yet to recover a bullet, but get consistent one shot kills at all ranges. One of my customers just got back from Africa where he shot Accubonds in his plains game 300 Win Mag and was just raving about that bullet's performance on the tough antelope over there. His guide was a big fan of the Accubond also.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I probably will go with the Accubond I have a lot of confidence in them. I'll see what i get for velocity with them next trip. Next up, my son just got a 28 Nosler so I have to get that set up and load for. The 280 Ackley Improved always interested me always had a thing for older cartridges.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. I probably will go with the Accubond I have a lot of confidence in them. I'll see what i get for velocity with them next trip. Next up, my son just got a 28 Nosler so I have to get that set up and load for. The 280 Ackley Improved always interested me always had a thing for older cartridges.

Last year I built my buddy's wife (6 time national silhouette champion) a 28 Nosler. She hunted Montana with it last year, but I'm not sure what load her husband had settled on. Nice looking cartridge that I like better than the 7mm STW and Ultramag. I'll find out what they are shooting and drop you a PM.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Remington 40-XBR 6x47
H322 powder
70 grain bullet

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/59889_600x400/] [/URL]

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

6mm PPC, 70 gr Berger moly coated, H-322 Australian powder, Fed Match primer. Five consecutive 5 shot groups at 100 yards for an aggregate of .1896". Rifle is a Stolle Panda flat breech, Hart LV 1:14" barrel. McMillan glue in. Don't think my eyes are that good today, but that gun will shoot.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:20 am  Reply with quote

Terrific groups Rm and Skeet. That would be great RM I have Retumbo powder that is suitable for it right now and Nosler Accubonds in 160 grain. Not opposed to getting other components. Good shooting Joe