16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Scottish gun
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Ross thanks for the offer of the help with reloading I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever go down that road , but as you say it is getting easier to get factory ammo around here now , I have been talking to a few people who shoot 16ga around the country , my second cousin got a really nice wee AYA Boxlock , he saw my Jeffery and said he had always wanted a 16ga and ended up getting his as a straight swap for a 12ga AYA he had .
Very happy for your brother that JP Sauer will be a great wee gun I'm sure .
Good to hear from you WJ.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

If you have the time reloading is still the most inexpensive way to keep a lot of 16 gauge shells on hand. However I really like the RST and Poly SpredR shells, especially for my Grouse, Woodcock and Quail hunting. Sold my MEC a few years back after I let the membership to Nemacolin Shooting Academy go. I still shoot Clays but no where near as much as when I was younger, I spend most of my time with my gun dogs in the Grouse woods, hunting or training, so I have no need for bulk shells any more. The other Great thing is Lion County deliveres right to my log cabin in the back woods of Potter/Tioga County, Pa. At 70 plus I am not doing the line shooting I use to do, and actually I do not miss it all that much. I still shoot enough to keep the muscle memory in tact however. I recommend the RST and Poly SpredR's in the Classic American, Scott and German Best gun, you get free shipping if your order a case or more. When RST & Poly came out with the 2 1/2" shells I basically quit reloading.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Well guys sorry to say the Scottish gun had to go back I took it out as lockdown eased here and the first 2 shots at a pigeon which I missed the gun wouldn't open fully so took it home and got it took apart the cartridges were stuck in the barrels and the primers were pierced so got shells knocked out with a cleaning rod , the guy I bought it off said bring it back , he is1 1/2 hours away , so he said it was sorted I got it home again and tested it cartridges stuck again but at least didn't pierce primers so back again it went looked like shells were going past the extractors so they told me they would send it to England to get fixed weeks later it came back to me I tried it again and same thing so I ask for my money back and I got it so not too bad an ending, i said to myself my next gun wouldn't be a vintage one and i thought what with the lead shot ban looming it was time for a steel proofed gun so i ordered a Berreta Silver Pigeon 1 in 20ga from Lavin Guns my local gun shop and picked it up on Tuesday , I am really happy with the wee gun just hope it doesn't get me kicked out of the 16ga society but I still have my Jeffery and got my son into the 16ga with his French sxs he has fired 2 shots in anger and shot 2 pigeons hes over the moon with his gun so it wasn't a complete bust our deal and I love my first new gun and look forward to some good hunts with it , hope your all keeping well WJ.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

WJ, sorry for the disappointment, but glad you got your money back. Those Beretta 680 series guns are excellent. Mine is a 12, so I'm not pure either.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,
Was it the Hammer Gun that you had to return, gosh I hope not!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

I'm afraid so Dave , they said they sent it to England but it came back to me looking the same as before and when I fired it the shells stuck again, I could have sent it myself to Digorry Haddock who I had a phone call with about the gun and I'm sure it was fixable but I had bought a gun that was supposed to be in good shape and fully serviced not a project, so I didn't want to spend a lot more money and when it went to Diggory maybe he would find something else wrong . Think someone on here talked about a rabbit hole so when I got the chance of my money back I took it . Shooting a gun with a bit of history is nice but I'm going to make my own history with my new Beretta and hopefully it will stay in my family for as many generations as your guns Dave , History has to start somewhere and I hope I have a good few more years left to put a bit of history into my new gun . Keep well Dave, WJ.

Last edited by wj jeffery 16 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

WJ,

Sorry to hear you had a gun sold to you that was not in working order. This has been happening more and more lately. Most gun dealers selling Classic guns do not jilt the client in that manner, because when the word gets around about what they have done, guys like me who purchase many Classic double guns won't even go near their gun business.

Bummer I really liked the looks of that Scott Hammer Gun. Your Beretta will be a nice gun and make its own history for sure.
Don't give up on the Classic guns just because of this one bad dealer, most Classic Gun dealers will be honest and advise you if there is a problem with a gun you happen to be interested in purchasing.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My hunting partner Ken Graft just picked up this beautiful AYA #2, 16 gauge for his private collection.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Bummer
I enjoy hammer guns
Mike

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Just curious, is a hammer gun properly carried fully cocked or with hammers at half cock? A buddy and I once walked into a big flight of woodcock in a swamp tangle, and he could never cock the hammers quickly enough after a flush. So he went to walking at fully cocked and sure enough he had a couple ADs (no safety on the gun). So then he just gave up.

What’s the proper procedure?

B.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Depends is it a rebounding hammer gun or not?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Brewester11,

The safety on that Hammer Gun is an open Breech, walking with the Hammers Cocked, until the dog goes on point. Even if you have a wild flush, you simply close the Breech mount the gun and pull the trigger or triggers. It all discipline, there are several way to use a Hammer Gun, the Breech open, hammers cocked discipline IMO is still the safest and best way to hunt, with a Hammer gun, unless the gun has a built in safety. Many do not.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The best way to learn to use a Hammer Gun while hunting is to have a knowledgable Mentor teach you. In my case my Father & Grandfather.

There is no more sporting way to hunt Grouse than with a fine sub-gauge Hammer Gun. If you do not have a mentor in your family, join RGS we have a full mentor program.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Also, on the safety front and not to get in a contest with Pine Creek/Dave, keep in mind that the safest way to hunt with a hammergun depends on 3 things - the character of the hammers (rebounding or not, big hammers or H&R Topper hammers), the game you hunt, and the terrain/vegetation where you hunt.

If, as in Pine Creek/Dave's example, you are hunting grouse or woodcock behind good pointing dogs, then IMHO it is acceptable to carry the gun with shells in chambers, action open and hammers back, closing the action only when coming up on the point. Even then, one has to be careful to be sure there aren't branches, twigs or whatever getting in between the barrels and action such that closing could be impeded.

If, OTOH, you're hunting pheasants in an open field, it's also acceptable to hunt with the barrels closed and the hammers down - if it's a rebounding hammer gun. You should have enough time to cock the hammers when a pheasant flushes, as opposed to the minimal amount of time you get when a grouse or woodcock flushes. Similarly, if you're hunting pheasants behind a pointing dog, you'll have enough time to cock the hammers on walking up to the flush.

If your gun has a small hammer, like on the typical H&R Topper, you're going to carry the gun with the action closed and the hammer down, cocking the hammer on mounting the gun.

In a lot of these situations, what's safe also depends on how strong your hammer-cocking hand is. Letting a hammer slip is suboptimal.

In all situations, though, more care is necessary because very few hammer guns have some mechanical safety other than opening the action.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:07 am  Reply with quote

DaveinMaine,

Very good analysis, as I indicated before there are several different safe ways to hunt with a Hammer Gun. My one Grandfather did not even put the shells in his Hammer Gun until his dog was on point. Not only is this very safe, it is a very sporting way to hunt, especially Grouse, Woodcock & Quail. However if you have no dog to set the birds up, it's a very big disadvantage. Those who hunt birds with a good pointing dog use different techniques when hunting with their Hammer Guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:24 am  Reply with quote

I tried to use my hammer gun for jump-shooting pheasants -- no pointing going on to give me time. I put shells in the chambers, left the gun cocked and open, closing it on the mount. I never really got the hang of it. I probably didn't give myself a real chance to get used to that method -- lost several shells . . . dang me! Embarassed I have a tendency to carry with the muzzle up, and just couldn't adjust to a "down" carry that would have retained the shells better. Maybe I need to load some shells with buggered-up crimps so the shells are an interference fit in the chamber. Laughing I'm sure "open and cocked" would work well with a pointing situation, though.