16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Flame/ sparks from barrel
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Did some shooting today with new reload.
2 1/2 cheddite hull, cheddite primer. 20 grains of universal, sg16 wad and 7/8 oz shot. Felt spacer under shot to adjust height. According to my load data that should be about 1150fps and 7500 psi. Shooting in 1969 sweet 16. Noticed on firing that there were sparks and flame coming out the barrel. Very cloudy, humid and slight rain. Never had this out of one of my reloads. I know it’s the gas escaping. Shot about 9 rounds. Barrel very clean, looks Un-fired actually. Not really looking to put on a light show so what can I do to get rid of it? More powder, less powder, another primer? Or is it just the humid weather? Any help much appreciated.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good according to Hodgdon Web site

www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Hodgdon Universal Nobel 209 BP/SPTG16 20.1 7,300 PSI 1,150

Insure you are using Universal and not International

Mike

p.s. wonder if the felt spacer is doing something?

I use Cocoa Puffs

Mike

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/user/ranger60
Thought I would try to kill 2 birds with one stone. Hopefully you can see the picture.
Not sure if the felt cushion has any effect. I will try a maxi card under shot and see if there is any difference, and some with overshot card. I was thinking maybe humidity.[/img][/url]
Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

About a month ago I was farting around with oddball loads and noticed the fiber wad flaming ejecta.

Gets kinda warm in there, eh? Surprised
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Ok did you try any other filler? Like maxi card? This load is a little short for good crimps. Maybe overshot card?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 am  Reply with quote

This is pretty typical of a lot of loads. Even factory target loads, when shooting in dusky, dark or at night conditions.

If you have International, Green Dot or another powder that is a bit faster MAYBE it would help.

I have a similar 7/8 oz. load in 2 3/4" Cheddite hulls using 23.0 grains of Universal. Never had a light show with it in my 1100, at least that I noticed.

SA's can put on quite a show at night, out of the barrel and the ejection port.

I wouldn't be all that concerned about it.

I have always put this in the 'I don't care' file.

Maybe it is the filler wad, but I can't see how as it is inside the shotcup.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Mark
I also have loaded the 23 grains of universal and didn’t see it either, dropped down to 20 gains, the recoil was to much for my old a5. I didn’t think it could be the felt either cause of it being in the shot cup. I will try a 32 gauge maxi card with it. I also have international. Will load a couple and try it, that would actually make things pretty simple. I use that in 12 gauge. One less powder to deal with. Universal seems to be out of stock every where. I also have 20/28 that I’ve heard good reports about. Have you tried it?
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Something definitely wrong. The only time I have ever experienced that is when shooting green dot on a skeet range in sub zero temperatures. Not the case here at all.

Agree with earlier posters on your verifying you are correct on the powder type you are using. Also look at your primers, while unlikely there could be a lack of ignition.

The most likely event is as already described a bad crimp resulting in insufficient pressure build. The same thing can happen if the shot leaks out of a bad crimp into your vest pocket leaving an almost empty shell that also causes insufficient pressure build.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/60026_600x400/] [/URL]

Maybe I’m missing something but this crimp looks fine to me. All loads were measured on digital scale. Correct powder used.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Talked to Hodgdon tech and he suggested it’s powder still burning when it exits the barrel. 28 inch barrel. Shells never made it to pocket.
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Yes that looks like an excellent crimp.

Given your feedback from Hodgdon, I would either live with it or find another load.

Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:50 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Talked to Hodgdon tech and he suggested it’s powder still burning when it exits the barrel. 28 inch barrel. Shells never made it to pocket.

So much for "the powder is completely burned in the first (insert whatever number has been bandied about) inches of the barrel".
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 am  Reply with quote

You have to remember that 'all the powder is consumed within the first XXX inches of barrel' is assuming that you have great ballistics.

This load isn't exactly ideal, Universal powder isn't what you really want to use with 7/8 oz. loads and to make things a bit worse the load is on the anemic side.

You really should match the powder to the work you are asking it to do, that really isn't the case with this load.

The other thing you should realize is that all loads will give off some kind of flash/flame at night so it isn't all that OMG- Henny Penny the sky is falling.

Go shoot at night and watch the muzzle flash.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:16 am  Reply with quote

So much for "the powder is completely burned in the first (insert whatever number has been bandied about) inches of the barrel".

Not sure I believe that. Still working on it. Slow going but will be loading some different grains with felt and cork spacer. And adjusting the crimp depth. Out of universal and not easy to find right now. Unless you wanna pay 33.00 hazmat fee or buy 8 lbs.
not sure yet, but there may have been some powder flakes mixed in with the shot.
Hint: don’t let your buddy barrow your shit.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Green Dot is probably a better match. International maybe even American Select.

The only reason I used Universal with 7/8 oz. loads is because Green Dot and International will not reliably function my 1100, especially after 100 rounds or so.