16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Not A Good Idea
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Remington 16ga Game Loads (at least the ones I have, probably 6+ years old) are BLACK.

Remington 12ga Game Loads (at least the ones I have, probably 10+ years old) are BLACK.

I made a STUPID mistake and left 12ga RGLs in my vest loops after LAST years winter pheasant hunt....went grouse hunting THIS year with my Remington 31 16ga...grabbed my vest and 16ga Society shell bag, got to the hunting area, looked in my vest pocket, shells inside, grabbed a handful out of the box to load my gun...had a bird flush 2 hours later...boom boom....one left in the magazine...reached in my vest. YUP...12ga #4s...only had 1 shot left. Walked back to my truck....2 hours....flushed 6 more birds from where I had already been. (No I dont have a dog....)

That trip sucked. It rained after lunch for the rest of the day.

It was a beautiful day when I was out though, and I do love a walk in the woods.

I got home and found Winchester makes 16ga shells RED...just like 12ga shells.

I bought some Herters on sale at Cabelas...those are PURPLE...but that's another post from back in september or so.

Yes, they need to color code. It's the smart thing to do.

Rick O
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 am  Reply with quote

...Down in Baja, WAY back in the 1970's, and I'm sure Long before and probably today too if need arose, Many,many quail and rabbits were harvested via a 20ga shell shoved in a 12ga hull...
Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

This "not purple, and "not yellow" thing chaps my backside unbelievably. It's a damned bean counter thing and whosoever made these decisions have earned no-cancellation, express lane tickets to Dante's Inferno!!

I'll shut up now,,,,,,
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:20 am  Reply with quote

That assumes everyone can see color. In the Printing industry, everyone is tested for color acuity. I can assure you, few test at 100%.

The bottom line is the user of the gun and ammunition has a responsibility to insure they are compatible at the point of use.

It is no ones fault but yours if you stick the wrong ammunition in your gun.

Best,
Ted

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 am  Reply with quote

+1 Ted. Well said. Think of those yellow shells that "weren't there" in all those burst 12 gauge barrels.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

I refill the big plastic Maxwell House coffee ground containers, (the blue ones with the handle) every season with shells. They hold about 4 boxes. I separate them in 1 quart zip lock bags by shot size. I have a separate one each for 10,12,16,and 20 gauges with the gauge written in sharpie on the lid.

I use a lot of vintage shells in all variety of colors, paper, plastic, you name it. This system has served me well over the years. In fact, I've brought the wrong gun on occasion, but never the wrong shells. Thank god I always have a back up in the gauge I plan on shooting.

It works for me!