16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Vecton powders
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Have any of you had experience with vecton powders. I seen their was a large selection of loads for the 16 ga. But trying to find it at the prices it explains can't be found.
Although I seen some at gunshows. It seems that every vendor believes they have the market cornered on every type of powder and primers. Crazy.
I don't remember when I've bought powder or primers at gunshows.
If some is found from dealers then after adding garment fees it dont make it worth it.
gomerdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I use Vectan AO in 16 gauge loads. But I believe for loads 7/8 oz. or less, International is the way to go. To get the same velocity, one has to use 22 grains of AO compared to about 16 grains of International. So even though AO is cheaper, 38 percent more powder.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Vectan Powders are cheap and clean burning. Probably more bulky than any other powder, which is good and bad depending on which load/wad/hull you have. Vectan powder doesn't do anything that the powders we have in the US, don't do. The best part about them is with Graf's shipping and Hazmat fee they are very inexpensive.

The downside to Vectan powder is, if I understand it correctly, Graf's is the only importer of Vectan Powder, and when Graf's stock of Vectan is gone, they aren't going to import anymore.

One more thing......if it were me, I would and did use the reloading data that Vectan has on their website. The Graf's data was done, by BPI. When I chronographed the loads the Vectan data matched up almost perfectly. The Graf's data was not close. In fairness this was for Vectan AS for 12 gauge 1 oz. loads not 16 gauge data.

harkom
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:32 am  Reply with quote

AO would not be suitable for 7/8 oz in 16G. It would be appropriate for this shot load in a 28G.
However in 16G it would normally be used for 9/8 oz.

Harkom.
culot
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:14 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
Have any of you had experience with vecton powders. I seen their was a large selection of loads for the 16 ga. But trying to find it at the prices it explains can't be found.
Although I seen some at gunshows. It seems that every vendor believes they have the market cornered on every type of powder and primers. Crazy.
I don't remember when I've bought powder or primers at gunshows.
If some is found from dealers then after adding garment fees it dont make it worth it.

Hi ,
im from Sweden /europe and familiar with all european powders and components.
You can use Vectan A1 powder for 1oz 16 2 3/4 loads , sorry for using metric

16/70 hull NS686/Fio 615 primer Vectan A1 1,45gram x 28gram lead SG18 wad fold crimp
Final height of shell 59mm .

A0 is better for 31-32gram loads

/ P
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Sculpt

I would be more inclined to purchase vecten but if supplies only last till grafs run out then not much reason to venture into

Like the red powders. I shot up a good 150 lbs of that stuff. Clean burn, soft recoil at 1200 fps. For 12ga. It didn't like the cold. That's life. All good things come to an end. On earth anyway.
culot
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
Sculpt

I would be more inclined to purchase vecten but if supplies only last till grafs run out then not much reason to venture into

Like the red powders. I shot up a good 150 lbs of that stuff. Clean burn, soft recoil at 1200 fps. For 12ga. It didn't like the cold. That's life. All good things come to an end. On earth anyway.

So there will be no importer for Vectan powders stateside ? do you now the reason ?
Personal its for me in europe good news becouse they will try harder sell it inside europe. Lots of transport rules and regulation kills the buissnis, but no one in Sweden load for clay sports becouse its steel only, hunting we can still use lead.
/ P
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:07 am  Reply with quote

culot,

The reason, I believe, is that there is only one importer of Vectan powder and only a few retail outlets. Most reloaders don't even know that they are available. I shoot a fair number of Sporting Clays events each year and I belong to a very active club that has Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays/FITASC. I don't know of anyone using it.

I have tried it and it is OK powder but nothing outstanding. Alliant and Hodgdon have excellent powders also. Vectan powders don't do anything different than the powders that we already have.

So between customer loyalty, poor distribution and not much advertising, Vectan is just another powder.

One characteristic of Vectan, is that it is a lot bulkier than any of the powders available
in the US. So bulky that in some loads you have to use different wads. Not a big deal but, this happened to me, what do I do with the 10,000 wads I already have?

culot
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
culot,

The reason, I believe, is that there is only one importer of Vectan powder and only a few retail outlets. Most reloaders don't even know that they are available. I shoot a fair number of Sporting Clays events each year and I belong to a very active club that has Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays/FITASC. I don't know of anyone using it.

I have tried it and it is OK powder but nothing outstanding. Alliant and Hodgdon have excellent powders also. Vectan powders don't do anything different than the powders that we already have.

So between customer loyalty, poor distribution and not much advertising, Vectan is just another powder.

One characteristic of Vectan, is that it is a lot bulkier than any of the powders available
in the US. So bulky that in some loads you have to use different wads. Not a big deal but, this happened to me, what do I do with the 10,000 wads I already have?

Vectan S4 isn't bulky and also a double base powder.
Did you use A0 for 7/8 loads ? AS Would be better and you dont need so much of it .
/ P
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am  Reply with quote

culot,

This was for 12 gauge 1 oz. loads. AS required different wads in some of the loads in Federal hulls, which is what I use for most of my 12 gauge shooting.

Vectan S4 was never imported, as far as I know.

Very little 16 gauge data was ever developed, 2 loads for 7/8 oz. using AS. Most of it was for A0.

I only had AS and I used the 5 bottles I bought for the 12 gauge.

I think A1 would be perfect for 1 oz. loads in the 16. Which is still available.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

I have had good results with D20 powder loading 1oz loads for my 16ga guns. I got several bottles of it from a local shop for a good price because he was having a hard time selling it because nobody had heard of it. I am down to my last bottle of it now and I picked up a couple 8lb. jugs of Universal last fall from the same dealer who was retiring and selling stuff at great prices.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
culot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:07 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
culot,

This was for 12 gauge 1 oz. loads. AS required different wads in some of the loads in Federal hulls, which is what I use for most of my 12 gauge shooting.

Vectan S4 was never imported, as far as I know.

Very little 16 gauge data was ever developed, 2 loads for 7/8 oz. using AS. Most of it was for A0.

I only had AS and I used the 5 bottles I bought for the 12 gauge.

I think A1 would be perfect for 1 oz. loads in the 16. Which is still available.

MSM 2019

Yes A1 IS a real nice powder for 1oz in 16g , and one of my favorite loads for ringbanded pigeon, but i have a huge supply of 67mm once fired euro hulls from clay sport shooting so i use the shorter sg18 wad .
Data is 16/67 hull 616 primer A1 1,40-1,45gram x28,3 gram N:7 or 7,5 shot sg18 wad and i finish the height wit a OMV spool at 59mm AFTER it came from my PW 375c press , i use MEC bushing in an adapter No.34 or 35 will be fine, No:36 and pattern start to spread and make the load to a 35 yrd load instead of a 40 dito using a 0,15" choke .

/ P