16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Give me a Hump.....Back
rjlance
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Sitting around like everyone else looking for things to do. Since I acquired my prize English Setter 8 years ago I have kept a log on each hunt. Included in that log is info on the numbers/types of bird taken , the shotgun used, and other info. I decided to focus on pheasants taken in the last 3-4 years and which of my many guns have been the most effective. I have other guns I use for quail, chukar, or woodcock but for pheasant I have a core of 4 shotguns which I rotate. They are a 20ga Citori lightning , 20ga Beretta 390 semi, 16ga Citori (sheels modified, long story) and a Sweet 16. I shoot all well and with confidence but the numbers show that I take more pheasant with the Sweet and the Beretta 390. In case you are not familiar with the 390. Here is a pic:

Notice the hump back. Not as prominent as a Sweet/A5 but more like the new Sweets.

A shooting mentor of mine once told me that with my long neck a hump back shotgun would work well. I guess he knew what he was talking about.

In general, with me, its all about sight picture and when I look down the barrel at a bird with either gun I like what I see.

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 am  Reply with quote

NICE !! I like Berettas great guns just a pity they don't make 16ga anymore
Thanks for your post and hope your keeping well WJ.
Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

What a fun topic.

Or how I prefer to view it “Go To Gun”.

To begin I know Bob - the author of the initial topic, he's my number one hunting companion and I am thankful to have him.

2020 marks my 55th year of hunting, and over that time I’ve had the opportunity to hunt every species there is to hunt in Massachusetts, with every gauge available (i.e. 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, and .410), and with every type of shotgun action type there is (i.e. single shot, side-by-side, Over / Under, bolt action, pump, semi auto including flintlock & percussion fowling pieces).

And of those probably 20 or so different models of shotguns, my focus being upland guns, which included a number of classics such as the Ithaca 37, a handful of O/Us - including Browning Citori Uplands in 20 & 16, a Remington 1100 Special Field in 12 GA, a couple of Franchi 48s in 20 GA, and an odd ball the Armalite AR-17 (2-shot semi-automatic in 12 GA).

And with pistol grip, Prince of Wales and English (i.e. straight) stocks.

One thing I’ll say is cost efficiency is right out the window, but my experience is pretty unique and richly rewarding.

There is one gun in particular - the Winchester Model 59, I think I’ve owned 10 – a couple of which I customized (i.e. Woolnerized)

These days my Go To Gun for pheasant is a Woolnerized Winchester model 59 nicknamed 'chopper', and for quail & woodcock a Beretta A400 in 28 GA nicknamed 'Liberace'. As for ruffed grouse can’t tell you when the last time I saw one of those.

However I'm trying to transition over to either my Browning New Sweet 16 or Citori Upland 16 as my new Go To Gun. But its like Howard Johnson's 28 flavors of ice cream - I've got a small handful of favorites, but its fun trying them all.
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:47 am  Reply with quote

RJ Can only see part of the grip but it looks like a similar radius as the new SW16?Is it a gas gun? weight?

rjlance
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Yes. It is gas operated. Weighs about 6lbs 10oz. 26" barrel. Screw chokes. I use Skeet.

Called 'The meat gun"

rjlance
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Here is a full pic of the stock.

buckmark
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Did someone say Hump?!

Factory orig '93 Magnum Twelve Stalker. She's got a face only a mother could love but built like a tank and never lets ya down.

rjlance
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am  Reply with quote

buckmark wrote:
Did someone say Hump?!

Factory orig '93 Magnum Twelve Stalker. She's got a face only a mother could love but built like a tank and never lets ya down.

Lots of "mothers" out there. A work of art !!!!!

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Beretta ok, but safety is in the wrong place