16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori Firing Pins
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Awhile back I posted about trying different firing pins and springs to get my Citori to reliably fire ALL ammo, new and reloaded. Mostly talking about the under barrel.

I tried aftermarket springs and pins from JP Custom Products. Well they sure as heck fired everything I fed it. BUT the pins were so long that after about 30 rounds the pins had been etched, because they were piercing ALL primers in ALL ammo. It got so bad that the firing pins were hanging up in the primers and locking up the shotgun.

Back to the drawing board.

So I tossed the JP springs and just tried a set of JP Firing Pins. So it took a little longer but the exact same thing happened with the lower pin being etched, piercing primers, hanging up in the primer and not allowing the action to be opened.

Once again, back to the drawing board.

This time I went to Numrich, whom I have had good luck with. I ordered a set of firing pins. When they came in they were definitely not for the small gauge Browning Citori receiver. Back they went, no problem. (I am thinking they were for the 16 ga. Browning 525....but not sure.)

I went to Brownell's and bought a new set of pins and springs and was assured they were made by Browning and were for the small gauge Citori receiver. This time every worked and has continued to work perfectly. No matter what ammo, new or reloaded, it fired. With no pierced primers, no etched pins, no pins hanging in the primer, nothing wrong, works as advertised.

Thought you may like to know. I hope this saves someone a headache or two.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

Glad it worked out. I have several citori’s and haven’t had the pleasure of replacing any yet. Thanks for the info, should save me some time. I recently had some issues with my skb 410 doing the same thing. Would of had to order a special tool from skb to do them. Sent it to skb. 2 weeks turn around. They replaced all
springs and a bunch of other parts. Had them convert to mechanical trigger. No more problems. They also put a new pad on it. Under 400 for all work, parts and shipping. Very nice people to work with.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Mark
Thanks

I used J&P pins only and never had an issue after that

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/BROWNING-CITORI-16-20-28-OR-410-GAUGE-FIRING-PIN-KIT-p72200032

Mike

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

I was specifically told the best thing would be to use J&P pins. I was shocked when it didn't work out.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

I am going through the same thing with my 525 Sporting in 16 gauge. Shoots everything reliably except Remington Field and Game, which is what I prefer to shoot. Waiting for new pins and hammer springs from Browning right now after talking to them. Hope it works.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

rkittine,

I had problems with new Remington, new RIO and reloaded Cheddite.

Reloaded Federal and Remington were fine.

Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

I had trouble with the RGL's and found that the primers were set to low on a lot of
them. Never had had a problem with anything else.

Regards, Gordon

rkittine
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Mark,

I have yet to have problems with Herters, Estates or RIOs, but haven't tried Cheddite.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Mark -- Sounds like those firing pins were simply too long, especially with breech opening problems. Did you check firing pin protrusion from the breechface during installation? Guns can all be a little different. I would not expect a machine-made gun like a Citori to vary much, gun-to-gun, but they might year-to-year. Also, an aftermarket parts supplier will likely make his firing pins long so they can be trimmed to suit. Firing pins should be nicely rounded and protrusion should be about .055 to .070 inch. Go for .060" or about 1/16th inch.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Is this something specific to 16-gauge Citoris? I have never encountered it in my 20 and 28 guns.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Dan-Lee

I believe these were the Citori's made about 2010 or so? Not sure on the year they were made.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Maximum the upper was about 0.060". The lower, which gave the most problem was 0.075".

I ASSUMED and probably incorrectly, that these pins were hardened and I didn't want to remove any material. No instructions with any real insight came with the J & P pins.

But even after I shortened the lower pin, put Browning springs in it, the lower pin cratered almost immediately and started hanging up in the primers.