16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Covid-19? Screw it, I'm going fishing.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I really like the taste of Pike. Its "fishier" tasting than walleye. Yeah, you got them Y-bones, but I can deal with them.
Going to try a couple "off the beaten path" ponds tomorrow--takes a little leg work to get to them.
This quarrentine hasn't slowed me down much. Had a close call this morning with a gobbler that ended up circling away from me at the last moment-just outside my back yard. I was carrying a Lefever 16 ga G grade Damascus F/F and 1 oz of RST 6's

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't really started to fish yet, I've turkey hunted just about every day since the 1st. shot a nice bird first day in Vermont at my place in NY now. all I've had close enough to shoot so far have been jakes here. 7 of them this morning plenty of big birds around though. Hunting alone tomorrow then taking my daughter out Saturday. Soon as I head back to Vermont I'll start fishing just about every day then taking the hound for a long walk. That's my routine late spring and summer.
Gran16
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Soggy socks could you send some of those turkeys my way? They are about non existent here where I’m at. Not even fish pictures to show from my short time off from work, with the big rain we had the river was high chocolate milk and turkeys uncooperative.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in Otsego County where are you I'll point these in the right direction. They are driving me crazy, but they are entertaining.[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/60200_600x400/] [/URL]
there are 4 big birds that stay out of range. Maybe tomorrow will get one of them.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:47 am  Reply with quote

Well this is what tomorrow looked like on my hunt with my daughter in NY. The buddy heater keep us warm walk in and out was like January! Back in Vermont 6" here!

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/60206_600x400/] [/URL]
Pop Pop
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

An easy solution for the Y bones in Pike and Pickerel is to scale then filet off the sides leaving skin on, cut into chunks and pickle the fish. It is delicious to eat and the Y bones dissolve so that they may be eaten along with the meat and you won't notice them at all. It is like pickled herring. Great shore lunch to bring a jar with you after canning.
Ball (maker of Ball canning jars) has recipes in their Ball canning guide.