16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB: A used pump style gun for upland hunting
flyfrod
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'm looking to purchase a pump style shotgun for upland hunting. I would prefer it to be an older model but won't turn away a newer model for a good price. Remington, Ithaca and Browning are what I would be most interested in. If you have one or no someone who is willing to part with one please let me know.

Thanks
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Hello flyrod
WELCOME on your first posting

Good luck and fair winds on your quest

Well done

Mike

rkittine
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome from New York.

What is your budget? Can we assume you want a 16 gauge?

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
flyfrod
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I assumed since this was a site for all things 16ga. that it would be implied that I was looking for a 16 ga. I should know what happens when you ass-u-me. Embarassed

Ideally I would like to keep it under $550 if possible but would be willing to stretch that a bit under the right circumstances. I'm not looking for a collector's piece, I want something that has downed it's fair share of small game. I understand that this will limit my chooses but got things come to those who are patient. My hope is that it may become something that gets passed down to my sons or grandchildren as my grandfather's 12ga. model 37 did to me.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:26 am  Reply with quote

An 870 in 16 is one of those guns that seem to be climbing the value ladder better than most, especially a vent rib model, but they’re not the lighted. Neither is a BPS. My .02 cents is focus on a 37 for Upland hunting. They’re all great guns but the 37 is by far the lightest. I’d also go as old as possible. The prewar guns seem to be the lightest. I currently have 3 and have owned several but only one 16. I never should have partied with that gun and will Keats regret it.
rkittine
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am  Reply with quote

FlyFrog, Sorry for my question, but I have seen people on this site looking for shotguns that are not 16 gauge, or that could be 16 gauge or might take a 20 gauge or 28 etc. Just thought the answer would clarify a little.

I agree with Swampy about the weight. My BPS in 16 is an Upland, with the English stock. I will have to weight it and see the weight against my 870. Only issue I see with older is if you are OK with a fixed choke. I do not see the value of adding screw in chokes on a shotgun with a value under $500.00. It is pretty expensive.

Swampy, Where in New Jersey are you? I spend a lot of time in New Jersey.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Flyfrod, If you already have Grandpas 12 ga 37, why not get one in 16? The old stick with what you know Laughing There's always several in varying conditions and ages on Gunbroker. If you would consider a Win M12, I know someone that has a very high condition one in your price range. Send me a pm if you want contact info. Good luck in your search!

S.davis
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:44 am  Reply with quote

My 16 ga 870, which is an early 50s model, with a field barrel and a bubba-ed English stock (the pistol grip was chipped, so I cut it off and stippled the grip since I can’t cut checkering) is light, considerably lighter than a BPS, though heavier than my M37. I think mine is between 6-1/4 and 6-1/2 lbs.

Pre 1970s 870s of all gauges were all built on 16 ga frames, which made the 12s pretty light. In the 70s they introduced a small gauge from for the 20s and below.

The 2000s-era 16 ga. Wingmasters were still built on the 16 ga frame, just like 12 ga Wingmasters are and always have been, but the overly heavy weight of those modern 16s comes from the vent rib barrel (which is an ornament that just doesn’t belong on an upland gun) which was beefed up for steel shot, and the fact that the barrel on the newer 16 ga. Wingmasters is actually just a 12 ga. tube with a smaller hole, so overall more metal is left, and the newer 16s actually weigh more than the 12s.

A pre-1960 16 ga. Wingmaster is an excellent upland and small game gun. And they can easily be had for under $450.
flyfrod
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that I have purchased my first 16ga. It's a 1957 Remington 870. It's been well used but with a little love I'll have it looking good enough for the grouse woods. I still have my eye on a few others yet. How knew this could be so addicting.
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

870’s are good, dependable shotguns. Nothing fancy but reliable and just get the job done. Yours was born in 57 and you’ll still be lucky to be able to shoot and hunt enough to wear it out.

That said, beware, it’s a slippery slope and you’ve just taken the first step. 16’s are an addiction.