16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fedral Hulls
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a "Crimp Beauty Pageant." Smile (skeetx for the win!)

I have a good 3-4K once fired RGL's, mostly old stock, and another 1,000 green Rem. Express hulls, to go along with a mountain of Herter's and Federals.

Hey, I'm a professional!

No, none are for sale.

Twisted Evil
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Dave , I'm a hoarder also . I have about 5k rem hulls and about 10k Ched + type hulls.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:34 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Dave , I'm a hoarder also . I have about 5k rem hulls and about 10k Ched + type hulls.

Good man!

The 16 gauge is its own hobby. Definitely not for everyone, but I sure enjoy it.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I can't be a hoarder, I shoot too much!!.

I probably have 1,000 Federals, 1,000 Remingtons, 500 Cheddites, 500 RIOs, 500 2 9/16" Fiocchi new, maybe 100 Winchester CFs and maybe 250 or so Winchesters from Italy/Australia.

Some are OF many are not.

Dave I really enjoy the 16 also. A lot more fun the 12 gauge, but I reload and shoot a lot of those too.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Mark, I have a 12 ga. Grabber set for target loads, and I buy the occasional flat of factory. If you shoot a lot I think reality dictates either a 12 or 20 in the mix.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Dave

Right now I am shooting a fair amount of 16(flat a week), because there are no Sporting Clays events running in this area. I normally shoot 12 gauge from January until August 31, then I switch over to 16 gauge for the remainder of the year and all hunting.

I do shoot sporting clays year round. Probably 2,000 registered and the rest practice. I never really stop shooting.

I only reload 1 and 1 1/8 oz. for the 12, mostly 1 oz.

The only time I shoot factory new ammo is when a Sporting Clays/FITASC event makes new ammo mandatory.

If I could figure out a way to be competitive with a 16 gauge gun I would stop shooting the 12 altogether. I think the only answer is one of the 525 Sporting Clays guns with a 32" barrel.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Buncha goofy gun nuts, gettin all excited over nice crimps,,,,,

(few things are more satisfying that getting the stack height right!) Very Happy
double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Dave
If I could figure out a way to be competitive with a 16 gauge gun I would stop shooting the 12 altogether. I think the only answer is one of the 525 Sporting Clays guns with a 32" barrel.

Mark, this thought has also occurred to me. When so many top competitors shoot 1 oz. in their 12 gauge guns, why not a 16 shooting an ounce?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Dave I do shoot 1 oz. in my 16, but I am always about 2, 3, 4 targets behind with my 1100 - 16, from what I shoot with my 12 gauge.

Yeah it's OK, but those 2 - 4 targets kill you at the end of the day. While I am not super competitive, I am competitive enough that it bugs me.

I tried my 28" barreled Citori, but at 7 lbs., that is just too light and about 4" short. Lots of weight between the hands, but that is not the best for me. Barrel heavy is what I like.

The 1100 has about the same issue, too much weight between the hands, although at 7 lbs. 10 oz. it is heavy enough to smooth out my swing pretty well, just not well enough.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 am  Reply with quote

The other thing that bugs me about the 1100, is all those hulls on the ground and at a registered event you can't pick them up.

I get teary eyed just thinking about it!! LOL

double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 am  Reply with quote

That would hurt. Smile
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
megasupermagnum,

I like the way that 16.0 grains of 700-X fits with the DR-16 wad.

The closest are once fired Federals.

The middle row are Winchester , made in Italy hulls, with 4 firings on them.

The last row are once fired Winchester/Cheddite hulls.

All fit nicely, tiny bit of wad pressure, just enough to seat the wad on the powder. All exhibit just a bit of concave, which I will not address. They loaded really nice on my 9000G. Crimp depth is .060" to .065" (thickness of a dime).

Might send these off to Mr. Armbrust, but not sure why. I will chronograph them soon.

That pressure reading I posted was recorded with the Pressure Trace II system. I make no claims that it is perfect, but I trust it. I submitted the load to the 16 gauge low pressure group. I have no idea if they plan to send it off for proper testing or not.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

megasupermagnum,

I am not all that concerned with the pressure. It is a 7/8 oz. load in a straight wall hull using a small amount of 700-X, which is in line with some 1 oz. offerings.

On another thread I posted the velocities that I got today for 10 shot strings using two different hulls and testing each twice.

The thread is Chrono - choke - load

Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are a bad influence. I don't have any empty 16g hulls at the moment so, I loaded up some 12g AA grays with 7/8-8's over windjammers and 17.2-700X. I've never shot less than an ounce and an eighth out of a 12 in my life, but I guess I'm slowly coming around to the "less is more" side of things.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:30 am  Reply with quote

Hamishtheirishamish,

I am not a less is more guy when it comes to hunting,1 1/8 oz. always. Registered clays 1 oz.

But shooting clay targets with my friends on a weekday afternoon, the 7/8 oz. loads get the nod. It will surprise you at how effective they can be at 50 to 60 yard clays.

Those light loads also save the wood on the old shotguns.