16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Model 37 Help.
flyfrod
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am  Reply with quote

So I've been looking to add a 16 ga to my gun cabinet for chasing upland birds. I came across an Ithaca model 37 on Gunbroker that has a polychoke on it. I'm not real familiar with polychokes and wondering if it's worth buying or should I wait for something else?
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:27 am  Reply with quote

I like them and they are effective
BUT many folks consider them ugly.

So if you are OK with the looks and the price is
right, get it.

Mike

good luck, I would say GET IT Smile

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867833128

Last edited by skeettx on Fri May 08, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanRepeaters
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Looks aside, I've found them effective and they tend to lower the price of the gun. My only concern when buying a gun with a poly choke is the POI. Around a quarter of them (including Cutts) I've had were off too far for me to shoot well.
Buy it, pattern it, and keep it if it hits where you want.
I'd take a Polychoke over a Cutts, though.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

The one in Bowie, TX looks okay, the forend looks right for that early of a gun but not sure about the buttstock---Cold Iron would know for certain and it sure looks original to the gun. That gun is listed with 25" of barrel behind the choke, so if the device wasn't to your liking and you only hunt in the woods and at close range it would be a candidate for shortening and a bead added to it.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hello AmericanRepeaters

WELCOME on your first posting Smile

Pleased to have you here.

And the POI is adjustable if you know how Shocked

Enjoy the day

Mike

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

That's a good price for a low numbered gun. I just bought a prewar R 16 gauge with a polychoke from the same seller about six months ago. It has actually become my favorite gun. He's good to deal with by the way. Buy it you won't be sorry. Oh and the buttstock is not prewar but the forearm is.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:05 am  Reply with quote

what skeettx said both times .... kinda ugly .... kinda work .... old master gunsmith here used to adjust your expensive trap guns p-o-i in a door jam - not to worry !!

drcook
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:30 am  Reply with quote

That gun is a bit pitted. Look real close.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, you can come up with a better example.

Look at this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868014075

The metal has lost a lot of its blueing, but doesn't show the pits the gun above does.

Look at this one, is a BIT more, yes a bit, but has choke tubes installed and is in really nice shape

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/ithaca-shotguns-model-37/16-gauge-featherlight-deluxe-40-beavertail-forearm-41-.cfm?gun_id=101421063

there is this one. you would need to ask about the LOP, if the stock has been cut, and what choke it is, but it is in good shape

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16903147

bottom line, with some careful shopping and a little patience, you can come up with a nice 16 to hunt with.

I have 3 Ithaca 37 20ga guns, 1 12 left (besides my Deerslayer 2's) and a stack of 16's. I only hunt with the 16's anymore. I haven't even took one of the 20's out. I let my grandson carry one once, but that is it.

16ga Ithaca 37's, especially the ones with the early 50's/pre-war buttstocks, handle and carry and shoot so nice.

drcook
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:31 am  Reply with quote

That gun is a bit pitted. Look real close.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, you can come up with a better example.

Look at this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868014075

The metal has lost a lot of its blueing, but doesn't show the pits the gun above does.

Look at this one, is a BIT more, yes a bit, but has choke tubes installed and is in really nice shape

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/ithaca-shotguns-model-37/16-gauge-featherlight-deluxe-40-beavertail-forearm-41-.cfm?gun_id=101421063

there is this one. you would need to ask about the LOP, if the stock has been cut, and what choke it is, but it is in good shape

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16903147

bottom line, with some careful shopping and a little patience, you can come up with a nice 16 to hunt with.

I have 3 Ithaca 37 20ga guns, 1 12 left (besides my Deerslayer 2's) and a stack of 16's. I only hunt with the 16's anymore. I haven't even took one of the 20's out. I let my grandson carry one once, but that is it.

16ga Ithaca 37's, especially the ones with the early 50's/pre-war buttstocks, handle and carry and shoot so nice.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I have to agree with Dave that pitting on the receiver and mag tube would bother me. Even if it were reblued.

I have nothing against poly chokes like others said they work, even if some think they are ugly. In NC Pa. Western Wa. and SE Mn. not uncommon to be grouse hunting with an open choke in thick woods and hear a pheasant rooster cackle in a field aways off. With a poly you just do a quick twist and your in business

And no choke tubes to mess with in the field. With that said the one Dave linked to

Is pretty decent IMO. 26" 16 ga. 37's are the sweet spot to me. And with a choice of SK or Mod chokes will handle any hunting or clay games you would want to do. He is asking $550 I'd offer $450 and he pays shipping. The good thing about 37's is they come up for sale often although 26" bbls are not that common. But take your time and you can get what you really want at a fair price. I don't need another 26" 16 ga. 37 have 3 of them already LOL, Cyl IC and Mod. But that one gun could replace all 3 of them.