16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Got my Lee Load All II form CTD today!!
jig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Now just waiting for my U-Clays powder from midaway and my SG16 wads from BPI.Got fillers and Nickel Shot #6 and 7.5. Got filler too.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

I am a new shotshell reloader. I have been reloading rifle cartridges for years. One thing I ve found out already is that unique and universal are totally different in bushings required for the Lee Loadall. Though burn rates are similar - thats about it. As with any reloading, it takes a lot of study first to avoid trouble, double checking and then rechecking.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

I'm used to weighing every charge I throw in my rifle cartridge reloadings. Not used to relying on a bushing. Which begs the question: do you weigh each charge? Also, the bushing may throw 21.4 then next size up may throw 22.5 but what you may want is 22.0 how does one accomplish this. Weigh every charge? or what?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Fill the powder hopper --leave the shot empty---cycle it 5 times or so then weigh the charge---remember the bushing may not throw exactly what the book shows if your are close fill the shot hopper and let 'er fly---check that powder charge every box or so after that
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Jig,

You will often fid that shotshell powder bushings will throw lighter weights than listed and that you have to go with a larger bushing. You don't have to weigh every charge, but you will have to do some experimenting to find the right charge weight.

Here's a trick that I used with the bushings in my Lee Load-All. Take a 3X5 indexcard and cut it to the height of the bushing. Then cut it so it will fit all of the inside of the bushing when rolled up. Then weigh charges and cut the card until you get the exact charge that you want. Write the bushing number, powder type and charge weight on the card and keep it sotred with the bushings. It takes a bit of time to get it just right, but the next time you want to load that powder/weight combo, you just slip the card into the appropriate bushing and get to laoding.

Always check your loads before and during loading. I too m an old centerfire relaoder and anal enough that I still check my shotgun loads every ten rounds or so, even though I have found that it is not needed. Old habits die hard! Laughing

Also, with centerfire stuff, a tenth of a grain of powder can make a big difference. With shotshells, I have found that as much as three tenths doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

TMB
________
LOVE ADVICE FORUM