16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The Good Old Days
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

From an old black and white photo with this attached to the back:
"Catching one on the wing.  Georgia...an excellent picture of a hunter nipping a marsh hen on the rise, at Sea Island off the coast of Georgia... A group of newspapermen, corporations chiefs and bankers hied themselves to the 60,000 acre hunting preserve on these coastal island and enjoyed an extended hunting session on the site where Spaniards 350 years ago established missions.  All sorts of game abounds here. 12-19-28"
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/60495_600x400/] [/URL]
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Gil, that's a great picture and note. You sure have changed your turkey firepower from then to now.

Dave, the guns went from 11 lbs. to 3.5 lbs. I on the other hand went from 175 to damn near a tenth of a ton. Gil

Last edited by Gil S on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Love these old pics. Every time I use one of my old Lefevers I think about the fact that the airplane hadn't even been invented when they were made, which gets you to thinking about who owned them, where did they get used, etc. Fun stuff. My 12 Lefever has someone's initials carved on the inside of the forend, with 1930 carved next to it. Pretty cool. It's also kind of depressing to read about the abundance of game then, compared to what it is now, and how they would ship barrels full of quail, or pile [now extinct] passenger pigeons in 15 ft tall piles after shooting them, and feed them to cattle, etc. Life goes on...

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:03 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

I agree each time I use the L.C. Smith and LeFever guns passed down to me I often think of the men and ladies that used them, it definitely was a lot different when they needed to supplement their everyday dinners with the birds and wild game they took with these old American Classic and Best German guns. I marvel at how well the guns were taken care of and how lucky I have been to own such a piece of history.

Times have changed and I can only hope the man who takes possession of these guns cares for them as the rest of our family has done. Each generation has kept these pieces of our family history safe and in great shape, it has become a family tradition.

The guns I have purchased along the way have been added to the family collection, along with the stolen guns I have recovered. Because our family tradition is Grouse & Woodcock hunting and Fly Fishing, both the double guns and Bamboo Fly Rods have been kept in almost perfect shape, for the next generation usage. Each and every year they are used and treasured, hopefully it will continue.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I also like the art work passed down thru the generations.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers