16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  range report
sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Took the Ranger up to a local club (open to public on Sundays) - shot 2 rounds of skeet.

I'll say my shooting is consistant at best on the first round missing the first 18 or so straight - some advise and adjustments and some sh!t luck ended the streak.

Once I got a sight picture for a broken clay things started to improve - I got used to using the different chokes for each shot and thinking about what I was doing - only flicked the safety (or rather didn't flick it) a couple times.

The second round was much better and I broke more than half or about half including some unorthidox tactics - on the #5 station (right at the low house), double I called pull, broke the high incoming clay (smoked it) with the mod barrel and followed the low clay out with the full barrel and busted it cleanly.

Overall, I'm learning the gun's feel and reach - getting used to moving the finger for the second shot, the safety and I've got the sight picture pretty well for leads and such - at least for 5" orange disks. I hope to finish my duck season with it and need another box of bismuth soon. I'd still like to replay Friday a bit but what can you do - live & learn.

I've got 2 boxes of empties and a few more boxes of fulls - I hope to free some hulls next week too.

Oh yeah - I got the obligitory - you're shooting a side by side in what gauge!?

followed by the - Wow, that points nicely, how's the recoil?

aside from only bringing 2 boxes of shells, it was a good day
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Y'all shoot doubles on 5 during a regular round of skeet Wink Wink Wink Wink
jae
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a great day at the range. Good for you
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket: Nothing says you have to shoot standard skeet during a practice round if the rest of the squad is agreeable. My LC shoots 7/8 oz loads very tightly so I just do 2 high houses at both 1 & 2, then 2 sets of doubles at 3,4,& 5, 2 low houses only at 6 & 7, then at 8, take 2 shots looking at the high house but throwing the low house, then 2 looking at the low house but throwing the high house-excellent practice shots for pass shooting. And all the doubles help get used to the 2 triggers. Polywad Spred-R loads are another option but run $85/case Shocked

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket---to open that choke cut your petals off the wad and load as usual---this will save you a few bucks----more or less a 'brush wad"
sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

truthfully, I was guessing the numbers/stations as best as I could remember - the folks I shot with kept mentioning "this is how we play it here" and such so I figured the game may vary at other clubs.

They were very accomodating to my learning the ropes and my own gun at the same time - very low pressure, emphasis on fun and good shooting - I took some singles when it was doubles time to help get the shots down.

Now that I think on it, #1 is at the high house, 2 & 3, #4 must be in the middle of the half-circle, 5&6, 7 at the low house and 8 midway between the houses...

we did doubles at 1, 3, 5, 7 & 8 I think - I asked if I could kneel at the #8 station to simulate the duck blind stance and it actually helped me - it's funny - the shooters vs. hunters. The shooters know the game and how the targets fly - the hunters adjusted for wind playing with the clays and didn't flinch at the sun glare - it was pretty harsh on the #1 station.

I got some pointers on foot placement and body mechanics - started hitting better - getting the right sight picture was key though - the clay on what side of which barrel and by how far, compensate for angle/speed.

it's my 3rd visit to the club and I hope to join for the coming year. the facilities are modest but it really is the people I've met there that make it so nice. I hunt with one member and met another in my Jeep club.

I wish I had brought 2 more boxes and I definetly wish I had bought 2 cases at Dicks when I was there and so were the shells 'cause they were gone when I went back today...

Anyway, fun stuff and I've more "homework" to do yet - or would it be considered "lab work" and at the computer is homework?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a great group of guys to shoot with-enjoy your new gun!