16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite, Fiocci, hulls, steel vs. brass yada yada
Turkman
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Was trying to search the archive to understand this but couldn't get the results narrowed down. So I will ask...

In a recent discussion, it was suggested that neither fiocci nor cheddites were likely to work well in an auto loader. I was having problems with the Fioccis binding on the extractor.

In practice, the cheddites are working for me.

So my question, is it a problem with brass vs steel? Do any hulls, available for the 16, have a brass rim?

Sorry for the naive question. I've been reloading a long time and should know better.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:32 am  Reply with quote

There are no 16 gauge hulls currently made that have a brass metal head.

There is no reason that you need a brass metal head. MOST hulls haven't had a brass head since the 1990's. Just the target hulls made here in the US, and not all of them are brass.

I bought green Cheddite hulls from Graf's a few years ago. My son bought some of the red high brass Cheddite hulls shortly afterward. I have an 1100 he has a Sweet 16. Neither of us have problems with either hull in our semi-auto's. He reloads on a MEC 650. I use either a Sizemaster and a 9000G.

I would NOT lake this 'steel head shells are garbage' stuff too seriously.

Resize the hulls properly, use good reloading data and have fun.

Turkman
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:19 am  Reply with quote

Agreed. Cheddite are good to go in all my auto5. The fiocchi I have found to have cheap thin plastic and don’t load as well as the others. I load on mec 600 mark v. Yes still like the old single stage. I started with a mec 20 years ago and never had a reason to change. Matter of fact I just bought a new 600 for 28 gauge. Know I can load without problems. Gives good crimps and plenty fast for me. I never load for speed anyway. More of a relaxing thing for me.
4setters
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 am  Reply with quote

There are exceptions to everything, but my experience is that if you have trouble with modern steel hulled 16 gauge shells it will be with pump shotguns and not semi-autos (or SxS, O/U). I have had problems with some steel hulled shells in my pumps (see below), especially my BPS, but never in my Auto 5 or A-5 (or two barreled guns). I suspect that this situation probably has to do with the impact force of semi-auto bolt recoil (or barrel slamming forward in an Auto 5) vs. the weaker impact force of pumping the gun. I've never shot them in two-barreled guns with ejectors, as I only have guns with extractors, so I can't say whether ejectors do the job or not. Others may have different experiences.

I still shoot at game a good number of old Winchester CF hulls which mostly have brass metal heads, and have absolutely no problem with them ejecting from any or all of my guns. However, it is my belief that the brass hulls have little to do with that, while the thicker CF plastic near the base/powder burn area helps keep shells from expanding to fit the chamber much better than straight walled hulls--old ones or newer ones. Again, my opinions.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

Polish those chambers and keep them clean and dry of lubricants that can bake with the heat of shooting and become "grippy" -- that's my theory on the cause of extraction trouble on repeaters, anyway. Keep your ammo clean and dry of any lubricants, too. Check extractors on repeaters that seem to give trouble, they might be worn and a bit rounded on edges meant to keep a good "hook" on the rims of hulls.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Maximum. The problem with hulls are the shotguns not the hulls. Or there is a problem with your resizer.

You have to look at it this way. Every shotgun hull today has a steel metal head except for premium target loads from either Winchester or Remington.

Every action conceivable is out there in every gauge and virtually none have a problem functioning with steel head hulls.

If you are having problems, whether you want to hear this or not, it is either a dirty action, a malfunctioning action or your reloader is not resizing properly.

I have a Model 12, an 870, a Model 37, a Hunter Special, an 1100, and a Citori all in 16 gauge and none misfire or fail to cycle or extract/eject any steel head reloaded 16 gauge hull.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I do have problems with some 20 gauge loads using the resize ring on the mec 600. Simple fix, run them through super sizer. Problem fixed. I do believe the super sizer is superior with the collet instead of the resize ring. Haven’t had problems with any other hulls.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:56 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
I agree with Maximum. The problem with hulls are the shotguns not the hulls. Or there is a problem with your resizer.

You have to look at it this way. Every shotgun hull today has a steel metal head except for premium target loads from either Winchester or Remington.

Every action conceivable is out there in every gauge and virtually none have a problem functioning with steel head hulls.

If you are having problems, whether you want to hear this or not, it is either a dirty action, a malfunctioning action or your reloader is not resizing properly.

I have a Model 12, an 870, a Model 37, a Hunter Special, an 1100, and a Citori all in 16 gauge and none misfire or fail to cycle or extract/eject any steel head reloaded 16 gauge hull.

+1 I won't say I never have an issue , but its very rare and usually something odd .
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have had problems with NIB steel headed shells in a new 870 SuperMag that wouldn't extract, much less eject, RGL's, but ironically, had no problems with Winchester Promos. My 16 ga. M12 wouldn't extract Herters new shells. Had the same issues with Ithaca M37 16. To repeat, these were factory loaded shells. Polishing the chambers had no effect. Gil
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:30 am  Reply with quote

+1 Gil - some of them are pretty bad right from the box !!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 am  Reply with quote

If the fired hull will slide out of the chamber but the shell wouldn't extract, 10 to 1 the extractor has rounded edges or the extractor spring is weak or both.