16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Small Game opener in 90-days!
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Almost 90 here today and darn warm most other places (I looked). But....in a matter of a few months we'll be pulling out the hunting gear and planning the next covert to be hunted. Now is the time to prepare by taking the dog (& yourself) for more-regular and longer walks (in the evening when it's cool of course), accumulating the specific ammunition your favorite bird gun needs (like #5 low-pressure 16s?), & perhaps eating a scoush less to drop a few of those extra pounds you picked up over winter(?). Perhaps your eyeglass prescription needs a little tune-up? How about the boots, are they ready for another season? Half of the fun for me is the anticipation and the preparation. Is the gun ready, does it need a few tweaks to be spot on? Getting it to a proper gunsmith in time to have it back is always a challenge. Right now I'm guessing they might have a little time.

The reason I'm asking all of these questions is because you never know when it's your last season afield. This year will likely be bittersweet for me because there will be another silent 16 this Fall, one that I will dearly miss. There is no pleasure in what I'm anticipating now.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Wanted to make sure someone participated in your thread, I do understand about the missing entity. Every time I step into the Grouse woods I know my Father and Grandfather are not along with me in the flesh. I take solace in the fact they are watching over me and my brother, and our hunting partners, from above. It's not the same, however it's what I have. You definitely never know when it will be your last hunt, same goes for the dogs. Live it for all it's worth, you only get one time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:44 am  Reply with quote

This time of year I always start taking inventory, order things I probably don’t need and try and find some cooler weather to work the pups. My grouse gun is getting a new stock and my gunmaker tells me it should be ready in a month or two. I saw a light weight shirt on sale and I might order that up for the early season.

I used to go north every Spring to look for new coverts, but the Covid mess put the brakes on that program. It was also a nice time to work the pups in cover before the leaves come out. In the Great White North the aspen buds come out first in early May before the other trees leaf out.

Re: the silent 16 - Look forward to those you can hunt with and take the memories of those who have passed along on the hunt.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike good post buddy!

All the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers