16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca 37 extraction/ejection issues
Lewis295
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a "well loved" 37 a while ago and it intermittently has extraction/ejection issues. Sometimes the extractor slips off the hull, other times it's a lot of force to eject the shell. Getting the stuck hull out varies also... sometimes it's and easy pluck with the fingers once the barrel is off, other times it takes some prying with a pocket knife.

Most of these issues are with cheddite hills, which cover a lot of the current factory options.... it has happened with RGLs also.

Anyone had this issue? I'm guessing it's a cheap steel headed hull issue, but wonder if replacing the extractors or trying to polish the chamber will help or be worth the effort?

Thanks for your insights!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Yup,a little chamber polishing is due.The older 37's don't like Cheddites or Fios as a general rule. Their absolute favorite is Federal. Another trick that helps a bunch is to loosen the barrel yoke screw and magazine nut and adjust your barrel so the extractor notch in the barrel and the one in the receiver are exactly centered.tighten the yoke first then the nut. Also make sure there's no crud between the extractors and the bolt.Adjustment and crud removal fixes almost anything on a 37,they're pretty bulletproof. 99% of my hunting is with a 16 gauge 37,I just love em.
John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Polishing the chamber will help. Also clean out any crud in the extractor notch in the barrel.

My son-in-law has a 12 gauge Ithaca 37. Hevishot shells use Cheddite hulls and give the same problem that you describe.

I can tell you too that Cheddite and Fiocci hulls give similar problems in my 16 gauge Savage 720 (Auto5 clone). Federal hulls never have failed to extract.

It appears that Federal hulls have larger and sharper rims that allow better engagement with the extractor.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

A well worn (worn out) extractor can also be part of the problem.

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:42 am  Reply with quote

I had troubles with Herters shells extracting. All others work fine.

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Steel heads are the bane of pumps--old and new. I posted this in an earlier thread:
"I had a 1957 16 and a 1959 20 that developed hiccups with steel headed shells. Les recut the barrel notches where the extractors fit which he said was the main problem. Whatever he did it worked."
Herter's shells are the worse. They jam my M12. My 870 Super Mag chokes on both Winchester and Remington promo loads. I long for the days of brass heads. Gil