16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  GSP Pup 2.0
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

I talked to John Prince today and my new pup to replace Rowdy hit the ground June 23rd. There are two male pups in the litter, John gets one (first choice) and the other will be mine. Both males are liver and white with liver heads and a light frosting of white on the muzzle just like Rowdy. Delmar Smith when asked how he selected a pup to train that would eventually become a national champion, would chuckle and say they were the leftovers after the litter had been picked over. I guess I'll be starting with the leftover pup too, maybe he'll become a national champ. Yeah, right, in my dreams maybe.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Good for you! Glad you got another and good luck national champ or not!. Joe
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Riflemiester,

Glad you got a new pup to replace the one that died. I am not acquainted with John Prince, however if your pup was in his care when it passed away maybe he should let you have 1st choice of the new letter. It's just the way we do business here at Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers. Hope all works out well for you this time. My brother has a real nice female GSP pup right now, and Bella is a fire cracker for sure.

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Riflemiester,

Glad you got a new pup to replace the one that died. I am not acquainted with John Prince, however if your pup was in his care when it passed away maybe he should let you have 1st choice of the new letter. It's just the way we do business here at Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers. Hope all works out well for you this time. My brother has a real nice female GSP pup right now, and Bella is a fire cracker for sure.

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave,
Rowdy was at Ronnie Smith Kennels near Pawhuska, OK when he died. They have been very concerned about losing my dog, but he was under a vets care at the time and I can't think of anything I would have done that they didn't do. As far as John Prince goes, he's a standup guy who is selling me a dog from a litter he bred specifically for his own kennel. I'm being moved to the front of the line ahead of a 6 month waiting list for pups, so I certainly can't think of anything more John could do. I just wish none of this had happened and I still had Rowdy out in my kennel, but that train has left the station. Time to move on and just concentrate on making the new pup my dog of a lifetime. At 79 years old I'm running out of time looking for that dog.
Rex

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Rex,

At 70 Plus myself right now and just got 2 new Setter pups, one Gordon from Clear Cut Kennels and one Ryman from Wyss Fireside Setters. At our ages a mis hap like you had really stinks. Really odd what happened in your case, it's one of the reasons I am so very careful when training clients dogs. Have had clients dogs get sick but noting like what happened to your dog.

I cut way back on our Grouse dog training program a year ago before I had open heart surgery, lost 3 of my fantastic Grouse dogs in one year from old age. Had to have a couple new pups, things here at home were just not the same. I can fully understand you getting a replacement pup. Be careful in the woods when you get your pup back home, at our age accidents can happen real easily while hunting.

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister, Hope springs eternal with a new pup and I can only hope I'm willing to take on a new pup at 79!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:46 am  Reply with quote

"Be careful in the woods when you get your pup back home, at our age accidents can happen real easily while hunting." Pine Creek Dave posted.

The last two years on the February Alabama hunt I've managed to have a mishap that had me gimped up for a few weeks. Two years ago I was working some cover with my dogs at the head of a shallow wash when a cut bank I had not seen collapsed under me trapping my right leg in a hole as I went falling to the right. As I was going down I really thought my leg was going to break, but the bank broke away before my leg did and I escaped with a badly torqued right knee. Hobbled around for a couple of days chasing bobwhite behind my dogs, but needed a couple of weeks rest when I got home before hunting again.

Last year I was getting Rowdy the pup out of his kennel in the morning before breakfast and hooked up a 10' horse lead to air him out. As he jumped down from the tailgate I noticed a knot in the lead and was trying to get it undone as Rowdy took off at the speed of heat. I tried to spin around to brace myself for him hitting the end of the lead, but only made it halfway around before finding myself airborne. I hit hard on my left hip and lay there in a mud puddle taking inventory for a while before trying to get up. I had a major bruise on the hip plus an internally traumatized hip joint that had me limping around all weekend chasing my dogs. Another three week recovery period when I got home.

This coming year I'm going to be extra cautious as you suggested, because I've come to realize I'm not 10 feet tall and bulletproof like I was in my younger days. Most of the falls I have in the field are more like a slow motion sit-down, with plenty of time to protect the shotgun and make an elegant plant on my bum. No harm, no foul.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

Actually you have been very lucky, except for loosing the pup. Hope all goes well from this point on. I would also get a hunting partner now that we have reached the over 70 age. Ken Graft and my brother Kurt became my hunting partners a few years back and although I Grouse hunt alone some times, it does not happen as often as it use to.
I am now extra careful in the Grouse woods!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Acquire a good hunting partner especially when over 70 years old.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

A national champion is only important if that is your goal. Me? All I want is a good little buddy who finds birds. I suspect that's really all that most of us truly need. Have fun with your new pup!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
A national champion is only important if that is your goal. Me? All I want is a good little buddy who finds birds. I suspect that's really all that most of us truly need. Have fun with your new pup!

You are absolutely right about National Champion caliber dogs. My 10 1/2 year old Bode was that caliber of dog in his prime. Prey drive off the charts, a nose for birds that was phenomenal, retrieved anything that hit the ground. The downside was he was too much dog for me, and he was never convinced that I was in charge. He would be perfect 9 times out of 10 and then just break it off in you. On field trials he would allow you three attempts at finding a bird that had buried up in cover and then he was going in to catch the bird no matter what you did. I had several nationally prominent and competitive trainers tell me if they owned Bode, that Bode would be a national champ. I guess it's back to being careful what you wish for. Rowdy had the potential to be that caliber of dog and I think I was working with him better before his tragic death. I would just like to experience working with a dog with all the attributes that was also biddable and wanted to please me. Being my buddy is a given.

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Glad you have a new pup on the ground and with a little time he will replace the hole in your heart.

Good Hunting,
Mike
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Well done getting a new pup sorted so quickly, that will help ease the pain of your loss , good luck with this one WJ.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:14 am  Reply with quote

I talked with John Prince yesterday and learned that he likes to sell his pups at 6 weeks of age rather than the 8 weeks I've done in the past. At 4 weeks the pups are on solid food (Pro Plan Sport the same as I feed) and growing like weeds. He said both males come to the front of the 20' kennel fence when you approach the kennel and he's really not decided which male he wants to keep, so sounds like either pup will be a keeper. Anyone have any experience with getting a 6 week old pup? Anything I need to be aware of other than it needs to sleep a lot, be fed small portions about 4 times a day and be ready to start scooping a lot of poop again? 4 August will be the day.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 am  Reply with quote

No experience with 6 week-old pups. It's illegal under Maine law to sell a dog before its 56th day of life. I suppose the cash can trade hands, but the dog can't go with the new owner until day 56.

Your states' laws may differ. Worth checking into.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
No experience with 6 week-old pups. It's illegal under Maine law to sell a dog before its 56th day of life. I suppose the cash can trade hands, but the dog can't go with the new owner until day 56.

Your states' laws may differ. Worth checking into.

Thanks for the heads up, I got with John and will pick up the pup on 15 August when he turns 8 weeks. I did get to spend some yard time with the pup and he's a dandy. Very bold, but attentive to what you're doing. I don't think he'll be quite as wild as Rowdy was, but should be a great little bird dog. Got a couple of pictures while I was there along with my puppy breath fix.

Full speed ahead, as fast as those little legs will carry him.

A little quiet time in the shade.