16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Just call me Ahab...H&H 16
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

So, I've been looking for [my] great white whale of 16's for a long while now, in search of the perfect chukar/hun gun. Weeding through lots of clunkers, looking for a diamond in the rough. I've been looking for a round body 16 for ease of carry, back action for easy maintenance and shallow receiver, hammer or hammerless, ic/f or tighter, good barrels and mechanics, 6lbs or lighter, 28-30" barrels, straight stock, and something I can use as a platform for a "bird gun" custom gun concept I have in mind with gold and silver leaf vines, leaves and birds, without altering an original condition collectible. Then I saw this 1911 vintage 30" Holland & Holland Dominion 16 round body back action sidelock ejector on gunbroker, with a stock in need of much work. I figured, instead of looking for a diamond in the rough, why not just try to get a diamond?I had to stretch a bit financially to get it, but I made an commensurate offer, and voila! Here she is in all her glory:

She fits like a glove, is excellent mechanically, metal has been refinished, weighs 6lbs even, soon to be 5.14lbs after I'm done re-working the stock, choked im/xf, strong ejectors timed perfectly, self opening locks, tight and on face, and I can't wait to put her through the paces this weekend. I'm very thankful. This is a reward to myself after years of sacrificing to pay off debt, move, get a house in my hometown, etc. I'll post pics when I'm done re-working the stock. Happy [early] Independence Day everyone!

Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Great gun...Gil
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
Mark, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Great gun...Gil

Thanks Gil!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Yeee Haww
Great news, Great news
Thank you for sharing
Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, it looks better than the pics you sent during the scheming stage. I can't wait to see what you do with that lovely thing! It's a very fitting gun for you. Enjoy!
Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Happy you found "your gun ". Cant wait to see what you do with the wood.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 am  Reply with quote

That’s a beautiful gun ! Good luck with it. That’s some craftsmanship on the cheek piece. That can’t be too easy to do with all those little tacks. Looks very functional as well. I assume that’s coming off? I’m also very impressed by the weight.
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations, I saw that gun on GI a while ago. The sellers characterization of the comb gave me a chuckle... I’m glad the gun found its way to the right hands.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun. One of these days you're going to have to post some before pictures so we can see what your work has done.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'll be removing the leather cheek piece and removing the solid plastic extension after I dial it in and make sure it's shooting where I look. I have an Silver's pad I could replace it with, or I may add a wood extension to a hand carved and checkered butt, maybe with an custom gold leafed "H&H" logo, similar to this hand carved wood resin plate I made recently on my Husky 103A 12ga hammer gun, with my own "Larson" logo. Lots to decide. Fun with guns Smile

Last edited by UncleDanFan on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Beautiful gun. One of these days you're going to have to post some before pictures so we can see what your work has done.

These are the before pictures. Very Happy

3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:30 am  Reply with quote

That looks like a 1 on the top lever--could that have been part of a 2 gun set. My, just think of the possibilities if you could find that second gun.
I have a gun that I think would excite you,(but its not for sale). It is a little 20 ga back action, round body, hammer gun, by G Forrester and sons, Kelso, Scotland. It has 2 sets of 30" barrels. 30" Damascus cyl/cyl, nito proofed, making the gun weigh 5lbs 8 oz
and a set of 30" fluid steel, cyl/F, with 2 3/4" chambers, weighing in at 5 lbs 14 oz.
Has a straight grip 14 1/2" LOP and 2 1/2" DAH. The stock does have an extension-nicely done- but I bet you could make it "disappear". It has become my favorite hunting gun for grouse and took 6 pheasants with 6 shots.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 am  Reply with quote

3birddogs wrote:
That looks like a 1 on the top lever--could that have been part of a 2 gun set. My, just think of the possibilities if you could find that second gun.
I have a gun that I think would excite you,(but its not for sale). It is a little 20 ga back action, round body, hammer gun, by G Forrester and sons, Kelso, Scotland. It has 2 sets of 30" barrels. 30" Damascus cyl/cyl, nito proofed, making the gun weigh 5lbs 8 oz
and a set of 30" fluid steel, cyl/F, with 2 3/4" chambers, weighing in at 5 lbs 14 oz.
Has a straight grip 14 1/2" LOP and 2 1/2" DAH. The stock does have an extension-nicely done- but I bet you could make it "disappear". It has become my favorite hunting gun for grouse and took 6 pheasants with 6 shots.

Wow, that sounds like a beauty! Please post pics. Love seeing nice hammer guns. This H&H does indeed appear to be part of a 2 gun set. I might contact H&H for some history on it. I'm thinking about having the right tube opened up from imp. mod. to light mod (.012 - .013), otherwise it will need a steady diet of spreaders, which is doable, but also kind of a pita.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun , I'm sure even more so when your done with it.

How long are the barrels .

Oh ya I want first dibs when you decide to sell this one . Very Happy

Last edited by fn16ga on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Oh ya I want first dibs when you decide to sell this one . Very Happy

You're going to have to fight me for it! Twisted Evil