16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1/2 packed - Russell bound Friday
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Starting packing shells 2 days ago along with vests, hats, gloves, brush pants etc... as I am Russell KS bound Friday the 15th for 3 days with my friend Stuart Young of Last Chance Wings and Labs. Finally, relief from the loooonnnngggg semester Cool

The good revdocdrew is joining me for quail/pheasant day on Saturday with Dirk the wonder dog to accompany the stable of pointing labs already in Russell. Wonder if I will get to see the running pumpkin Shocked Question I am betting that Addie, Hunter, or one of the other labs outruns the pumpkin Wink Kidding aside, I do look forward to meeting another 16 ga society member.

Was in Russell back in January and found it hot and dry and it looks as though this trip will be the same Confused Highs Saturday and Sunday projected to be mid 50s and Monday may be 60 - drat. I am going back again in January 2007 too. Can't get enough....

I am taking 16 ga sissytori (screwed in the briley light mod and light full chokes a few minutes ago) and 16 ga Ms. Elsie and 16 ga Ms. Sterlyworth - so revdocdrew won't get too confused (since he gave up the princess of wales for an elsie - fickle ladies).

This trip will (of course Wink ) have the requisite stop at Cabelas in KC on the way and on the way back.

If I can get wireless in Russell - watch for end of the day posts. I still have not had time to set up a pics page yet - coming soon.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you are ready for a good time. How are the bird reports from Russel? I have been hearing good reports from Smith and Osborne counties and will be making a short trip out there after Christmas.

What time do you expect to be passing through Junction City? Maybe we could have a cup of coffee at Sap Brothers.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Take your time getting to Russell Dr 16g-I'm likely to be asleep by the time you get there anyway Rolling Eyes And we've got all afternoon Sat. after the hunt to measure your bores, chambers and chokes Very Happy
I've been hiding anything orange from the dog for two days and he STILL knows something's up-hard to train setter dogs when they're smarter than you are Rolling Eyes

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Rev hate to break your bubble but dogs are color blind....even the really good ones.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

TB-now that's a good one. Every one of my bird dogs went nuts as soon as they saw any of my blaze hunting clothes or vests. And it turns out dogs are 'color limited' but not color blind; they don't see all the colors we do but can perceive different colors:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20020902.html
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/DrP4.htm
http://www.puplife.com/dogcaretips/howdogsseecolors.html

bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew:

I am still planning to leave here before 10 am on Friday morning the 15th. Must give a make-up exam at 8 am and then file grades. With stop at Cabelas I plan to be in Russell before 7 pm - too late for you rev Question Question Question (I will call your cell after I reach KC to give estimated time of arrival). Further, I hunt all day Wink

TB - not familiar with Sap Bros. Isn't there a Cracker Barrel at Junction City Question Can't remember what exit Question I think I ate there last trip about 4:30 pm in the afternoon....

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Close to starting off-somehow the dog knew we were leaving this am and has been WILD Rolling Eyes Hard to get mad when the pup's so excited Very Happy
Dr 16g-I'll have my cell on from the time I quit hunting tomorrow and am on my way to Russell. Expedition listing oddly from the cases of shells I'm bringing. Weather looking good (but warm) so far. Snow for New Mexico on my way home though Confused

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Rev, are you forgetting to phrase our canine friends' debilities in an approved politically correct form? Should not that be "color challanged" instead of "limited"? We should never label our fellow beings as limited. It's condesending and negative. This might seriousy damage Dirk's self esteem and sense of self worth, which might limit his full developement into a complete individual. Tsk Tsk! Rolling Eyes

Have a good trip. Knock 'em dead you two. Very Happy
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Actually, after reading some of the links Rev posted, I think dogs see colors better than do I (being unabashedly color BLIND). <L>

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill