16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  A5, Rem 11, Savage 720 recoil spring characterisitcs
casebro
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 am  Reply with quote

I've got an assortment 4 of recoil springs, plus one shimmed.

I made up a tool to compress them to either 5 1/2" or 2 1/2" to mimic preload length (in battery) or fully recoiled. You can see the cross dowel in the PVC pipe to limit the travel of the 7/8" dowel/guide rod. Two cross holes for the two lengths.

Plus a pic of my hand written chart of the measurements. Maybe somebody could spread sheet it and make a nice table? Or does the 'list' function do that? I hate to type, I'll leave it up to youse.

The old square section spring w/ 3/8" of shims works well with my 7/8oz loads. Though I didn't try at 1/8" intervals. You want the least spring and friction set up that works with your loads. Start with heavier spring loads, enough to not latch the bolt back, then lighten it up. That will give just enough to minimize the barrel slamming into the receiver, causing a sharp SNAP! of recoil. You only have 1/16" between enough, and impact.

The factory only gave two options, 2 steps of the friction rings. That is not a wide enough range for light loads. It looks like the 20ga spring is quite a bit lighter than the new 16. It might work well for light loads.

Old standard spring with standard load will make with the SLAM!, probably the cause of the "kicks like a rented mule" reputation.
Pardon me while I learn to post mages- a pic of a stock I made,for practice.

Last edited by casebro on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Wonderful posting and pictures

Instead of posting the "Thumbnail link" post the other IMG and they will be larger

Thank you for sharing

Mike

casebro
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Wonderful posting and pictures

Instead of posting the "Thumbnail link" post the other IMG and they will be larger

Thank you for sharing

Mike

Thank you.

Fixed the size, I was just being stingy with the band width.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Ranges report: Works great w/ old square spring and 3/8" spacer behnd it, set for heavy loads. Loads of Fio/DR16,7/8, 20gr G Dot.

I can't hit no clays with it, pattern seemed tight. So off to the other range with a good patterning system. FOR ME, it shoots 80% high, and a gawdawful tight pattern of about 96% , 30" 40yds. So I went for a round of trap. 18, with six bloopers. Darn 3 1/2 miles of washboard road, I would have gad a great score on a smooth road. .

I need different wads, I thought DRs fit? But they also seem too long, shot comes up waaay high. Z16?

casebro
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I had the Auto 5 to the trap range yesterday, first time in month or so. The damper got gummy, pretty stiff. So bad it didn't eject. So I had a side-loading single shot. But with that maximum damping, recoil was lighter than a baby's breath. No slamming of barrel against the inside of the frame. Sweet 16, even if it is a Remington. Smile

A perfectly functioning spring/damping system would be soooo nice. But with only a 1/16" of freeplay and 75# of spring pressure, not easy.