16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Bought myself a New A5 Sweet 16
df
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Will get them to you, when I get the gun back. Wish I had taken “before” pics.
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Have either the first or second A5 Sweet 16 that made it to Arkansas when they first started shipping, and have been well pleased with it. While it certainly doesn't have the receiver engraving of the old Auto 5, its still a nice package. Even though the gun is very light at under six pounds, I have not noticed any increased recoil per se, and a lot of other early comments agree with that appraisal.

Have not read Randy Wakeman's article mentioned above which apparently dissed the 16 bore. To me, as an upland hunter, the bore is perfect, as the two most commercial offerings (in lead, "light" and HV) cover the spectrum of upland hunting in its entirety. Back in the day when moderate velocity 16 gauge shells were also available--1 and 1/8 oz at around 1200-1220 fps--the spectrum was covered even better. Of course, reloading can duplicate these and other offerings.

I personally find the comparison of a 16 gauge to a 28 gauge appalling (for a variety of reasons, for example are there any 28 gauge loads to approach the new Federal Upland or Prairie storm loads?). To those who make it, my reply is, "Sir, you are not hunting the same wild upland birds that I am hunting." A couple of years ago, a well known SE outdoor writer had a piece in QF bragging on the 28 gauge for wild bobwhites. I had several conversations with him, and he admitted that the only bobwhites he has killed in several decades were pen-raised birds. I asked him why he didn't use a .410 for a bird that one has to kick up with his shoe to take a 15 yard shot out in the open and straightaway? Come hunt the bobwhites I hunt and the public land pheasants I chase and you won't take a 28 gauge but once.

Woodcock and grouse? 28 is fine as these birds are usually shot at short distance and are usually not "runners" when crippled.

Oh, by the way, the 1425 fps new Federal loads with up to 1 and 1/4 oz of shot won't be in my pickup floor this winter. I'm perfectly happy with 1 and 1/8 oz 16 gauge loads at 1275 or so for pheasants, and others are happy with 1 oz loads at about the same speed. Hype and overkill.

But new shells or guns are part of what keeps the ammo manufacturers and gun writers in business.

IMO.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke