16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  2020 hunting season 16 gauge attack, what's yours?
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:09 am  Reply with quote

It's time to talk about and disclose what 16 gauge guns we are going to carry afield this hunting season.

I've been a lifelong Mississippi River duck hunter beginning in the mid 1970's. This year, for the first time, I'm going to take a 16 gauge on opening day; my trusty and much loved Remington 11. Looking forward to seeing how the new bismuth loads from Backridge and Boss perform. Season here opens Oct. 3.

Grouse, woodcock and pheasant will be handled by my "Mark Larsonized" I Rizzini Iside, and an AyA #2.

That's pretty much the extent of my normal wingshooting year, but I'm planning on taking 16's west to Montana for sharptail and huns next September.

And you?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:14 am  Reply with quote

So far

02 Sept 20 15 doves, Remington 3200 16 gauge,
05 Sept 20 15 doves, Browning Citori 16 gauge Sk & Sk
14 Sept 20 15 doves Liegeous D’Arms A Fue 16 O/U, (1927) Herter’s #6
15 Sept 20 15 doves Belgian GECO (1945) 16 ga SXS 2 1/2" ammo
16 Sept 20 15 doves Krieghoff Drilling 16 ga 2 1/2" ammo
Under barrel is 8x57R .318, Sure is HARD to get used to side safety and not barrel selector

Emtymag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 am  Reply with quote

I still only have 1 16ga in the stable,a Winchester model 12

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:07 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to be training a new pup this year and when hunting him, I'll restrict myself to one of my older guns (the first three on the list) that I won't mind a few new dog nail scratches on. Hopefully when working with my older dogs, I can get them all into the rotation at least once.

16 ga BSA Classic 26" Briley chokes
16 ga TriStar Brittany 27 1/2" screw in chokes
16 ga CZ Ringneck 26" screw in chokes
16 ga CZ Ringneck 28" IC/Mod
16 ga Fausti DEA 28" screw in chokes
16 ga Parker Hale (Ugartechea 30) 26" IC/Mod
16 ga A H Fox special 30" .005"/.010"
16 ga Ugartechea 257 28" Briley screw in chokes & 28" IC/mod
16 ga Dickinson 28" screw in chokes

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Rem 1100 16 gauge & Citori 16 will do the bulk of the work.

Model 37, Model 12, 870 and a Hunter Special will pickup the slack.

1 1/8 oz. of lead 6's for most of the hunting.

1 1/8 oz. of Bismuth #5's for the areas that require non-toxic shot.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Mike,
Re your Krieghoff, how did you determine the under barrel was .318? My combo gun wasn’t marked so I had it cast and it turned out to be the .323 (aka JRS). There are some beastly loads available for the JRS.
B.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I'm down to 4 dedicated grouse guns, all in 16 ga. of course. They are all ± 2 oz. of 6 pounds. And within an inch overall length of each other. I know what I like in a ruff grouse gun. Sort of...

Less than 2 weeks before I leave for the tip of the Mn. Arrowhead for the month of October with the dogs.

FAIR Iside that I picked up this summer will be my starter gun. I shoot it well despite being straight stocked, double triggers, extractors, splinter forend, everything I don't like in a gun LOL. Maybe I have changed after all these years.

I always take 3 guns with me hunting not sure what the other 2 will be yet.

A5 Sweet 16 that I had Briley cut the bbl. down to 23" and Mark Larson shape the grip the way Browning should have will be one, it is money in the bank on ruffs for me.

The other torn between the FAIR NEA 500

and 26" IC Ithaca 37

Over the years I have killed more grouse with a 16 ga. 37 than all my other guns combined. But that is what I grew up with and back then there were a LOT of grouse around.

Couple more weeks and should have a picture with one of the dogs and a SxS 16 ga. finally. And purple shells.
calebg
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 am  Reply with quote

This weekend I opened things up with the 31L.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Will try my "bottom-of-the-duckboat special" for ducks and geese (pass shooting or wading -- I don't actually have a duck boat Laughing ). It's an older Model 12 16 ga., somewhat pitted on the outside of the action, and thus an uneconomical choice for cosmetic improvement, but its perfect inside. It has had its chamber and forcing cone lengthened and choke taken out to .010" by Mike Orlen, so I can shoot anything in the line of non-toxics through it, which I have and will again. Perhaps you've seen this ugly appliance at the S. St. Paul Rod and Gun Club 16 Gauge Shoots (it's a good rain gun, too).

Upland-wise, for 16's it will either be another Model 12, a Fox Sterlingworth, and an old FN straight grip, short-chambered A5.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
It's time to talk about and disclose what 16 gauge guns we are going to carry afield this hunting season.

I've been a lifelong Mississippi River duck hunter beginning in the mid 1970's. This year, for the first time, I'm going to take a 16 gauge on opening day; my trusty and much loved Remington 11. Looking forward to seeing how the new bismuth loads from Backridge and Boss perform. Season here opens Oct. 3.

Grouse, woodcock and pheasant will be handled by my "Mark Larsonized" I Rizzini Iside, and an AyA #2.

That's pretty much the extent of my normal wingshooting year, but I'm planning on taking 16's west to Montana for sharptail and huns next September.

And you?

I’ll be starting with my beloved Trojan 16 with barrels cut to 26” having cyl/imp cyl chokes. The next will be my Philly Sterlingworth 28” cyl/full.
Dave, what did Larson do to your Iside? I have one in 20 that I really like.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Number 1 gun is a Citori Superlight Feather 28” barrels with Briley extended tubes in SK and IC
Browning A5 Sweet 16 28” barrel with IC or SK tubes
A.H. Fox A Grade, 28” barrels with chambers reamed to 2-3/4 and chokes opened up to IC and LM from original mod/full.

All are +/- 1oz of 5 lbs 12 oz

Backups are Citori 525 field and Remington Sportsman 48 which mostly live in the safe during hunting season because they are both 7 lbs. I opened the choke on the 48 from full to SK II so I could shoot steel out of it for ducks. Killed a lot of pheasants over the years with it too.

Except for geese and ducks I use my 16’s for everything.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11,
Thanks for the question about the .318 bore.
Slug down the bore,and then slug measured with caliper,
followed up doing a ho-ho check of the bore with dial indicator,

I mostly use S&B 8x57jr ammo as it is cheaper than buying bullets
and reloading.

My Krieghoff is a Semper and has 2 1/2" 16 gauge chambers.
Made 4/28

Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

And you?

I’ll be starting with my beloved Trojan 16 with barrels cut to 26” having cyl/imp cyl chokes. The next will be my Philly Sterlingworth 28” cyl/full.

Swampy, my Iside hcame a little higher-combed than I like, so I sand fitted it for drop and cast. Then Mark came up with a different checkering design and recheckered/refinished and enhanced the grain. My stock had pretty decent grain, but Mark made it look much better imho.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pobH8ORbj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pl6mzojMj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnvHYAlFj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pluMgpEIj] [/URL]

Then I went all out and had James Flynn add one of his excellent leather-covered pads. No turning back now. Wink

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnXWRZf8j] [/URL]

I'm sure folks will say, "Why are you putting all that into a Basic Iside?" My first answer is it's a 6.25 lb. 30" 16 that I can feed any ammo, and it came with crisp factory 3.4/3.9 lb. triggers. My second answer is, it was fun, and I like the results!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Mike
Reason I asked is I slugged the barrel myself and got 318-319, then a machinist used bore gauge and got ambiguous results. Finally I took it to the gunsmith who did a cast and said “no question mate, it’s a JRS”, i.e. the 323. His fee was maybe the best $50 I ever spent on guns.

S&B has an 8x57 JRS load with 196 gr at 2487 FPS 2691 muzzle energy, not bad for a 6 1/2 lb 16 ga combo gun in case that herd bull comes around the corner when I’m walking the logging roads for grouse. And yes it’s quite affordable and the gun likes the stuff, very accurate and recoil not much different than stout 16ga round. I laid in a 20 yr supply.

B.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Swampy16 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

And you?

Swampy, my Iside hcame a little higher-combed than I like, so I sand fitted it for drop and cast. Then Mark came up with a different checkering design and recheckered/refinished and enhanced the grain. My stock had pretty decent grain, but Mark made it look much better imho.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pobH8ORbj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pl6mzojMj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnvHYAlFj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pluMgpEIj] [/URL]

Then I went all out and had James Flynn add one of his excellent leather-covered pads. No turning back now. Wink

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnXWRZf8j] [/URL]

I'm sure folks will say, "Why are you putting all that into a Basic Iside?" My first answer is it's a 6.25 lb. 30" 16 that I can feed any ammo, and it came with crisp factory 3.4/3.9 lb. triggers. My second answer is, it was fun, and I like the results!

Dave I think I saw that when you first did it. Looks awesome ! Did he enhance the grain?