16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Any DIY methods?
Emtymag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Any DIY methods to open up a few guns I’ve got that have fixed chokes?

I’d like to go from full to improved mod or maybe mod.

df
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I’d try Ahlmans in Morristown, Mn.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Spreader loads are possible as a diy for opening up tight chokes.

Off the shelf options are down to polywad (though since they sold there are question marks about them meeting orders) and that is about it.

In the past their were spreader loads from Orvis that featured flattened shot. I do not recommend them as they really chewed up birds and did not yield good even distribution in the Patterns.

For reloading you can do several things.

1. Polywad inserts into the load. The basic theory being start with 1 1/8 16 ga data, use the same wad, primer and powder, reduce the shot load to 1 ounce, and add the polywad insert.

2. X-stream inserts. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/X-Stream-spreader-insert-200_bag/productinfo/3220001/

3. Cutting away the cup petals on the plastic shot wad and using a higher velocity load, will open up the pattern.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

If you want to get the barrels opened, try Mike Orlen, he usually provides good turn around on choke work
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Skeets Gun Shop

Gun shop in the Woodall, Oklahoma

Address: 14007 US-62, Tahlequah, OK 74464

Phone: (918) 456-4749

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Another good source for spreader loads is RST shells. They produce an excellent spreader load that opens up the pattern from a tight choked gun very well.
As a reloader I use the extreme spreaders from Ballistic products. Although I have found the chokes on my LC Smith guns are not as tightly choked as I thought and the use of fiber wads rather than plastic wads with a shotcup produce good patterns.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Rst has spreader loads. I have tried the spreader disk and had no luck. I since have loaded some of the ballistic products spreader wads and it looks promising. The last ones I loaded were 12 gauge dispersor wads. They work in full choke on the skeet field, have not patterned them yet. Seem to have a little issue with stack height in my RST hull. I ordered the dx 12s which raises the shot column about 1/4” according to ballistic prod.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Get it done right by an experienced gunsmith who pilots the hone from the breech. Last thing you want to do is mess up your point of impact, or worse.

Mike Orlen is cheap and fast.

I use Bob Odenthal in Prior Lake, MN. Not cheap, but never a doubt and always perfect.
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

The OP is asking about DYI means of opening fixed chokes on shotguns.

Spreader loads do not appeal to me. Also, I have limited financial means. I hunt and fish with my limited disposable income. I understand the question.

I have opened fixed chokes on several shotguns. I often did so because I wanted to use these guns with steel shot.

I own two adjustable reams. They cost $25 to $30 each. I have a "C" size and a "D" size reamer. This allows me to open chokes on 12, 16, and 20 gauge guns.

I have often heard that one can affect the point of impact by reaming a choke. I find it impossible to change the point of impact of the gun with a reamer.

I have tried to change the point of impact on a 16 gauge double where the left barrel would not shoot to point of aim. The reamer naturally follows the bore, and the point of impact did not change.

I ended up correcting the point of aim of the gun by other means.

Here is an article about opening chokes:

https://www.gun-tests.com/accessories/adjusting-fixed-chokes-in-single-barrel-guns/

Mike Orlen wrote an article about this a while back. He may have written this article, I am not sure.

The best way to do this, is ream the choke and then fire a pattern. Repeat until you achieve the pattern you want.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

John, you may be right, but you're in the minority imho. I'll pay to have a pro do it.
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

I know full well that I am in the minority and that the best option for most people is to pay a professional to do such work.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 am  Reply with quote

What Skeettx said. Skeets is the best in the business. His name is Dean Harris. Oh, and he’ll answer the phone and talk to you. Some guys are very hard to reach. I’ve also not heard much good about some of the “larger” shops lately.
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Here is another article on how to ream a choke.

https://www.bevfitchett.us/home-gunsmithing/a-choice-for-chokes.html

I find it an interesting job. If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, don't. Hire someone to do it for you.

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:34 am  Reply with quote

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/reamers/shotgun-reamers/gilchrist-precision-choke-reamer-prod4974.aspx

This is the reamer you want, it works from the chamber end. The 20/16ga will work if you don't need more open than ~IC. Otherwise you will need the 12/16 reamer as well if you want cyl or skt. You will need bushings to pilot the tool. I recommend two in the bore and one in the chamber.

You'll want to have a bore gauge. I have the Skeets bore gauge and it works for both 16 an 12ga. You'll need cutting oil, and some way to polish the bore/choke when you're finished.

Once you have the above get good mmeasurements of the bore and chamber. If you have the means, turn the bushings yourself, or have a machinist make them. Aluminum, brass or delrin will be fine. If you're having them made, take the barrels and bore gauge to the machinist and let them verify the measurements.

Follow the included instructions for the reamer(s). It's a bit slow, but not too bad. You'll need some way to hold the barrels securely while working the reamers.

If your only needing one set of chokes opened in your lifetime, pay someone to do it. If you have two or more, are a tool slut, or just want to DIY, go for it!

As far a spreaders, Bench loading is also an option with Brushwads or Cards and/or spreader inserts.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 am  Reply with quote

Hats off to you skilled guys! Smile