16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  RBL 16 v B Rizzini BR 552 in 16 ga
Flyfishr
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

So after much searching, I have narrowed it down to two possible choices.

I have an RBL in 20, which weighs 6.5 lbs and I shoot it well. Very tight, well put together gun. Downside - engraving is a poor example of laser (I have rose & scroll) and the checkering is not particularly well done, even for machine checking. I could get the 16 in the mid 6 lb range (according to their folks), without the adjustable pad which was a huge mistake, in my estimation. I do like that it is US made.

The other option is a B Rizzini BR 552, which is laser engraved and hand chased side plates. It also is low to mid 6 lbs, built on a 20 frame. I have a 16 ga Rizzini RB O/U and find it to be a well assembled gun. I cannot find a 552 locally to handle.

Both are priced close enough to not swing the decision.

So, what say you?
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I give the same answer I posted over on the Upland Journal site.

The most important aspect of a gun is shooting it well. Everything after that becomes either academic or aesthetic.

if you find you shoot the RBL well, and by comparison the Rizzinni not so much you have answered your question.

The academic becomes SXS vs O/U, which you have answered, then to ejectors Which both your option have. I have to admit I don’t find ejectors all that important, but that is me. Another question is gauge, if 20ga is to your liking fine, but are 3inch chambers an option for occasional use in that one in ten situations, and non tox in particular?

i am a 16 guy, but believe if I had gotten the right 12 or 20 when I was young I would not be. Ammo is easier for the 20, but there are those who strongly argue this and that. Ultimately the measure is not the gauge, but that regardless of gauge your pattern is on the target. Once you become accustomed to a particular barrel width, length, overall weight and balance and it suits you as shown by shooting it well that becomes what you like best. Whenever I look down 12ga sxs barrels they feel horribly wide. I find 410 and 28ga disconcertingly narrow.

Onto aesthetics, the engraving is immaterial to function for the most part, but can stick in your caw. If you don’t like it, it is unlikely to go on you. If it only mildly bothers you, that will go away with time and successful use. Figure in wood is a bonus, and highly subjective in terms of which is best to you.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Do you guys actually see the barrels or bead? I shoot lots of different guns and gauges, from o/u to sxs, including hammer guns. When my eyes are on the target( bird) whatever it may be, the barrels become non existent. I think people get to wrapped up in all the particulars. If it fits it fits. If your an experienced shooter you should be able to shoot just about any gun that length of pull is correct, unless you have some eye dominance issues or some weird cast, and even if it don’t fit exactly correct, if you can shoot you should be able to adjust. Your not shooting 1000 yards nor a riffle. Swing, get in front of it and pull the trigger. Dead bird.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Flyfishr wrote:
So after much searching, I have narrowed it down to two possible choices.

I have an RBL in 20, which weighs 6.5 lbs and I shoot it well. Very tight, well put together gun. Downside - engraving is a poor example of laser (I have rose & scroll) and the checkering is not particularly well done, even for machine checking. I could get the 16 in the mid 6 lb range (according to their folks), without the adjustable pad which was a huge mistake, in my estimation. I do like that it is US made.

The other option is a B Rizzini BR 552, which is laser engraved and hand chased side plates. It also is low to mid 6 lbs, built on a 20 frame. I have a 16 ga Rizzini RB O/U and find it to be a well assembled gun. I cannot find a 552 locally to handle.

Both are priced close enough to not swing the decision.

So, what say you?

I lean toward the Rizzini. For whatever reasons all the Italian guns I own or have owned have shot well for me and have been reliable. They've earned my trust.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Do you guys actually see the barrels or bead? I shoot lots of different guns and gauges, from o/u to sxs, including hammer guns. When my eyes are on the target( bird) whatever it may be, the barrels become non existent. I think people get to wrapped up in all the particulars. If it fits it fits. If your an experienced shooter you should be able to shoot just about any gun that length of pull is correct, unless you have some eye dominance issues or some weird cast, and even if it don’t fit exactly correct, if you can shoot you should be able to adjust. Your not shooting 1000 yards nor a riffle. Swing, get in front of it and pull the trigger. Dead bird.

Yes I see the barrels and beads, however everyone does not change gun’s as easily as you do.

I agree fit is critical, but even fit is subjective and individual in nature.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Old colonel- not trying to offend you, but that can be corrected. It takes some practice and sometimes professional training, but if you see the barrels your eyes are not focused on your target and it is much harder to shoot where you look. You must train your eyes to look past the bead and stay focused on what you are shooting. If enough practice those barrels will disappear, like magic. When I started many years ago, I had to shoot many many rounds. As soon as the gun touched my check I had to pull the trigger. Hit or miss didn’t matter. I did that for what seemed like a life time. But it’s the beginning of training you to shoot where you look. Remember it’s a shotgun. Most shooters still shoot with one eye closed. When doing that you decrease your chance of a hit by like 50%. There is much more involved, but if your mount is correct and you are in front of the target your not gonna miss. Very few miss being in front. If you miss your behind 99% of the time.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 am  Reply with quote

I agree with Dave. Italian Guns have earned my trust for sure. I’ve not heard great things about CSMC’s service or their consistency as far as finish. I also much prefer the looks of the 552. I would imagine you can order the 552 so if you know your measurements you should be good.
As far as seeing the barrels I think Colonel is referring more too the overall girth of 12 gauge barrels which I only shoot clays with. Even a light weight English gun is just too bulky for me.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 am  Reply with quote

I've got a 16 ga RBL and although it is a great looking gun, it weighs over 7 pounds which I consider too heavy to put into the bird hunting rotation. Unless you're looking for a clay target SXS, I'd recommend the Rizzini.

Pretty gun, but too heavy for bird hunting.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:31 am  Reply with quote

I had RBL's in both 20 & 16. I only have the 20 now, which I like a lot.

The 16 was on the heavy side, but more importantly, I just did not shoot it that well. So it went on down the road to a friend who loves it.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am  Reply with quote

My 28-inch barrel, 20-gauge RBL Launch Edition weighs 6 pounds 3 ounces, exactly the same as my 1913 vintage 28-inch barrel A-Grade Ansley H. Fox. However, the RBL has a bit more weight between the hands while the tiny Fox frame makes for a bit more weight forward and I shoot it better.

My RBL-16 with 29-inch Improved Cylinder and Modified barrels weighs 6 pounds 14 ounces. Perhaps a bit heavy for some for the uplands, but I've shot a lot of Pheasants with it and it is my go to gun especially anywhere I need to use non-toxic shot.

All my RBLs are straight grip, slim forearm, double triggers.

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

I've had great service from CSMC. Sent my RBL 16 down for a recoil pad had it back in 4 days. Broke an ejector rod on my 28 they fixed it while I waited 20 minutes. There are other options on the receiver. I'm not a fan of the laser engraving either, think it was a smart move leaving it off the revelation.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 am  Reply with quote

One thing that bugs me a little about the Rizzini guns (and others) is they do not have a long trigger tang. A long tang won't make the gun shoot any better, but an extended tang, to me, is a sign of class and craftsmanship. On guns that push 3-5K and up I expect to see one. When I ordered my FAIR Rizzini I paid a modest uncharge to get a long tang included. i knew if the gun shot well enough for me I'd keep it, and in my eyes it would look incomplete without the long tang.
Flyfishr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
One thing that bugs me a little about the Rizzini guns (and others) is they do not have a long trigger tang. A long tang won't make the gun shoot any better, but an extended tang, to me, is a sign of class and craftsmanship. On guns that push 3-5K and up I expect to see one. When I ordered my FAIR Rizzini I paid a modest uncharge to get a long tang included. i knew if the gun shot well enough for me I'd keep it, and in my eyes it would look incomplete without the long tang.

I agree with you. When I ordered my B Rizzini O/U RB, I requested a long tang.

i am leaning towards the Rizzini BR 550 or 552 and will ask if they will do a long tang with a capped pistol grip. They are fairly accommodating, so i will see.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:56 am  Reply with quote

That's a tough decision, which means neither is a bad decision. I own a RBL 16 -- the gun is an absolute bird murderer on wild pheasants and ducks with 29-inch barrels. A little thick and heavy compared to the European 16s but it gets it done on both the clays course and in the field. I have found CSMC's customer service to be exceptional.

What I like most about the RBLs? They go "bang" every time. The Italian guns mostly go "bang" when there are not ejector problems or firing pin issues or locking problems or barrel selector problems or other little mechanical issues that seem to crop up and interfere with their functioning.

I'm a big B. Rizzini fan as well. I have an O/U 12 that is my day-in, day-out waterfowl gun. Takes a beating and never lets me down. The BR 550/552 are pretty nice though I've never seen one in person. I would lean toward the B. Rizzini -- just for the fact you will get a lighter, trimmer. more stylish gun likely as reliable as the RBL.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:

What I like most about the RBLs? They go "bang" every time. The Italian guns mostly go "bang" when there are not ejector problems or firing pin issues or locking problems or barrel selector problems or other little mechanical issues that seem to crop up and interfere with their functioning.

Your comments do not mirror my experiences with Italian guns.

Last edited by double vision on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total