16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rizzini Iside
makintrax73
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
My wood wasn't too bad with fairly busy figure, but I had our creative wood artist member UncleDanFan enhance the grain, so I cheated. He also changed the checkering to my liking. Before I sent it to Mark I sanded the comb for drop and cast, so mine has been heavily customized. I'm thinking about adding a leather-covered microcell pad to finish it off.

Wow. Well it turned out looking great! I was worried about the drop - my best shooting gun (happens to be a 16) has about 1/4" more drop at heel and comb than what FAIR listed. Sounds like you licked that problem.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:15 am  Reply with quote

International Firearms Group imports the FAIR shotguns and I talked to James High there a few months ago about a custom combo order. He said the 12\16 combo would not be a problem as they are both on the "large" frame. Told me a 20 could be done on it also even though it is made for the small frame. He offered up that if mixing gauges it should be done as a custom order at the factory and not after the fact.

Lion Country Supply and Iron Cowboy on Guns International can both custom order FAIR guns including custom dimensions. Can add up in a hurry though. They do wood upgrades but only above the basic model. Start at $500 and go to $3K. Additional barrels are now $1500, not long ago they were $1K. And a couple decades ago $500.

NEA was the first to import FAIR guns in the US around a quarter century ago and I have a basic NEA 500 16 ga. with both 28" and 30" barrels. The 30" were after the fact and did not require fitting.

John talked to me about custom engraving you send a picture and they can engrave it, obviously laser engraving not sure if it is hand chased or not. A gentleman in Western Mn. just had a custom order engraved FAIR in 16 ga. O\U Prestige. He had custom engraving done with pictures of his dogs that had passed on done on both sides.

I ended up purchasing a basic Iside with double triggers and extractors, as a grouse gun I don't need anything too fancy.

My CZ Sharptail 16 ga. had the worst triggers I had ever experienced also. Both pull weight and a tremendous amount of creep. John Singer on here took care of that for me and now they are really good. He ended up working for the gunsmith in town and had to sign a non compete clause so is no longer an option Sad
rkittine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:34 am  Reply with quote

My Ringneck had really terrible triggers, over 12 pounds each and the gunsmith was only able to get them down to about 7. Sold it and got a Sharptail with the new trigger assemblies and different type springs. Much better right out of the box, but my Iside turned out best of all trigger wise, but my wood is pretty much plain unfigured lower grade.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve just purchased a Iside. Should pick it up at FFL in the next couple of days. Really looking forward to it as I have heard and read nothing but good things about them.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Good for you Hayseed. Which version are you getting?

hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Basic w/ 28 inch barrels, double triggers, straight stock.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:52 am  Reply with quote

hayseed,

Glad you like your new gun buddy, have fun with it! I just picked up another #5 L.C. Smith, it's out at the stocker to have a new leather recoil pad installed for my LOP. Like you I can't wait to get her home.

One of the things I am disappointed in, on the new guns is the lack of quality control on their trigger pull. Never saw an L.C. Smith, Purdey, H&H or Boss gun that had trigger problems like some of these new modern guns.

Yea I know I am old school.

Cold Iron,

Nothing wrong with nice engraving on a Grouse gun, Kraus and Spangler did great work on our family L.C. Smith Grouse guns, and some I just acquired also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Engraving on my #5 L.C. Smith Grouse Guns.

1901 #5 L.C. Smith

1910 #5 L.C. Smith

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Pinecreek, I would love to have a L.C Smith or other fine old shotgun. I must admit though, that I am very uneducated as to the purchase of said shotguns and do not wish to be someone’s sucker. Which is very possible with my budget. The Iside’s have good reviews and i won’t cry at it getting buggered up as I try to educate myself and dogs on grouse. I do still have my Hunters Arms Hunter Special that I shoot well and am very happy with. Please forgive me for being thrifty.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed wrote:

You'll appreciate the ability to shoot any non-toxic shot, even steel in your Iside. The triggers are excellent. My triggers are 3.5 and 4 pounds right from the factory.

Excellent and wise choice, Hayseed.
hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
hayseed wrote:

You'll appreciate the ability to shoot any non-toxic shot, even steel in your Iside. The triggers are excellent. My triggers are 3.5 and 4 pounds right from the factory.

Excellent and wise choice, Hayseed.

Love the feel of it but darn that thing is tight after setting off and resetting both triggers. Hope it loosens up.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

It will.
hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I think I’m trying to be like you, Cold Iron and Swampy16. Good thing for y’all that I’m several hundred miles away.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you'd fit right in with us. We are serious about our guns and shooting, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Wink
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,

Roger that he fits right in with the rest of us.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Dave Erickson,

Roger that he fits right in with the rest of us.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I wish. You guys have forgotten more about grouse than I'll ever know. I'm just riding your coattails on here picking up tips.