16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rizzini Iside
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:33 am  Reply with quote

I saw the same article but bought the 16ga anyway. Either the guns are generally well regulated or I got lucky. Using 7/8 oz loads, C and IC chokes, it darn near ink balls skeet targets from every station. I never pattern a gun unless targets don't break and birds aren't killed cleanly. It hasn't been necessary to put this one on the patterning board.
4setters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hopefully, it was just a oddball gun with the 28 gauge in the magazine review. I do have 2 over/unders that are also poorly regulated, with one barrel shooting high. With upland game, that's not a disadvantage--if one is aware of it. I shoot the "high" barrel with an open choke first, as most game birds are rising on the flush, and the "spot on" barrel next as they are usually going dead away. Both O/Us have been bird getters for me.

A double with one barrel shooting 10 inches left and the other shooting 5 inches, or any shotgun shooting low, is another matter. I'll pass on them.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

I hear these barrel regulation stories about plenty of other brands. Not sure I believe all of it, but it can happen I suppose.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Ken Eyster was one heck of a barrel guy....at one point I was having a barrel worked on in his shop.
He related that day the story of a Purdey that came into his shop well out of regulation, one barrel to the other.

It certainly happens but I would first suggest considering that a % of many problems may stem from the procedure and interpretation by a shooter rather than one barrel pointing to Dodge and the other to Nashville.
Based solely on some published patterning efforts in finding issues of which to be concerned....issues of concern which often appear widely overblown, to me, once one feels the wind and sees the frost.
We all may be better off losing both pattern paper and a factorin' stick.....or not but maybe.

There clearly seems a disconnect between real world problems and those existing as problems only in the mind or on a balance sheet of best figures.
'Course that occurs more widely than with a scattergun.