16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth shot
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all,
I was going to order some Bismuth from Rotometals to load up for the wildfowl in my 16 but they have been out of stock of virtually all sizes for quite some time now.
Anyone have an idea where I can get some 3.5mm and 4mm Bismuth from that will ship to the UK.
We are only a couple of weeks from the start of the season in the UK
Regards
Graham
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

No idea if Precison Reloading will ship to the UK but they show #2 Bismuth in stock. Cost is considerably more than RotoMetals.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=1

Last edited by Upland Carpenter on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
makintrax73
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

I’m going through this now getting ready to hunt prairie grouse on non-tox areas next month. Based on the prices they are charging I was better off by almost half to buy 12ga bismuth shells (Kent), then cut them open and keep the shot. It is almost $2/oz at precision reloading. Kent 1 1/4 12s closer to $1.20oz.

I guess you could make training blanks from the cut shells too. Or light off piles of powder which is always fun.
Emtymag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

https://bossshotshells.com/

Last edited by Emtymag on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:41 am  Reply with quote

If you are in the states, here are a couple of tips on purchasing bismuth shotshells at good prices.

Mills Fleet Farm
Right now, they have Hevishot Bismuth Shotshells for $32/box. In their fuel stations, they have popcorn for 25 cents or free with fuel purchase. The popcorn bag has a coupon for $5 off a $50 purchase. Buy a box of shells and pick up some household items to reach $50. They do carry 16 gauge bismuth. BTW: Their fall hunting flyer has coupons for $10 off a $75 purchase.

Cabelas
Cabelas carries Kent Bismuth. 2 3/4" sells for $32/box. Sign up for a Cabelas credit card. You get $25 off your first purchase. Pick up a box for $7.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:26 am  Reply with quote

I've been back in forth with roto Metals for a while . They had a sale thing , but only had 5,8,9's . They've been down on routine maint type thing and said I'll get a notice when they get back up . I'll pass it along . The 5's were 139 bucks for 10# - free shipping , so still a good deal .

makintrax73
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

I just noticed Ballistic Products Inc has Bismuth back in stock today....and on sale for $110/7lb of 4s.

Not sure if they ship to the UK for the OP though.
mcrewz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Rotometals has bismuth back in stock. Everything but 4s and 3.5s.

Mike
makintrax73
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 am  Reply with quote

mcrewz wrote:
Rotometals has bismuth back in stock. Everything but 4s and 3.5s.

Mike

The thing that kills me is you can buy a box of Kent Bismuth 1 1/4oz for $35 - which is $1.12/oz for 31 ounces of bis shot (Not to mention they have to provide you with everything else that goes with a loaded shell).

Rotometals is selling bismuth shot for $1.05/oz.

The reloading community is getting ripped off by the shot makers.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:32 am  Reply with quote

At least for me,reloading Bismuth is more getting exactly what I want then saving money. The choices are very slim in loaded ammunition at this point.Old guns need special treatment in regards to pressure,velocity,and recoil.Factory loads that cater to old guns are far from cheap.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

My numbers for a box of 1oz loads $27.00. YMMV. Last time I checked Kent Bismuth 16ga 1oz loads were $34.99 without taxes or shipping.

But as Ohio Wirehair posted the cost is not the main objective for those shooting vintage doubles who require lower pressure and prefer standard velocity. The only Bismuth factory option is RST at $65/box not including taxes/shipping and those are only 7/8oz loads. Ouch!
makintrax73
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

My point was that I'm reloading Bismuth loads for my 2 1/2" 16ga by purchasing fully loaded Kent Bismuth 12ga ammo, cutting open the shells, dumping the Bismuth shot out, and throwing away the rest of the shell........and I'm doing that for a couple pennies per ounce more that I would pay if I purchased a whole 10lb bag from Rotometals. We are getting hosed.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree. At this time, it is not a cost savings to reload bismuth shotshells. I can purchase commercial loads at12 gauge and 16 gauge at $1.09 to $1.20 per shot.

Now, if you require 2.5" shells of low pressure, the calculus is different.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

This is true about the current cost. The 16ga bismuth from BossShotshells.com really make it not worth my time to reload. 1oz #5 is $1.40 a shell.

However, they just sell #3,5,7 for 16ga. For ducks I want #4, maybe #4.5, and I have about 30lbs of each just sitting here, so... might as well use it Wink
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

makintrax73 wrote:
My point was that I'm reloading Bismuth loads for my 2 1/2" 16ga by purchasing fully loaded Kent Bismuth 12ga ammo, cutting open the shells, dumping the Bismuth shot out, and throwing away the rest of the shell........and I'm doing that for a couple pennies per ounce more that I would pay if I purchased a whole 10lb bag from Rotometals. We are getting hosed.

How much is your time worth?

Cutting open shells, etc., takes time and effort. Is your time worth only pennies per ounce?

I think not.

Moreover, you surely could dig up 7/8 ounce loads for bismuth, load them yourself and save maybe 15 cents per shell on shot. Which would be more than the difference between fully loaded 12 ga ammo and Rotometals shot, not even counting the value of your time in cutting the shells and harvesting the shot (and cleaning up the mess when one, inevitably, spills all over the floor). Your time to load shells is a wash.