16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  AYA #2 - a bird gun worth owning!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

My buddy Ken Graft just picked up a beautiful 16 Gauge AYA side lock double gun for his own gun collection. I happen to really like these #2 guns and this one will be a fine Grouse and Woodcock gun with DT.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I really like the wood on this #2 AYA 16 gauge double gun.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

YES
Great guns, what fun, what fun
Mike
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

There’s one of those in the safe, but I hesitate to carry it for grouse in case I have to use it to break my fall if I take a spill in the scree rock like I did with the CZ. It survived but sustained some ugly battle damage.
B.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
There’s one of those in the safe, but I hesitate to carry it for grouse in case I have to use it to break my fall if I take a spill in the scree rock like I did with the CZ. It survived but sustained some ugly battle damage.
B.

They were made to use. Why waste your money by not enjoying something that’s tailor made to hunt birds. I could never let a gun like that sit. I would buy it to use it and if it gets damaged a good gunsmith can fix it up. Besides, it’s very difficult if not impossible for a smith to give a gun that used “patina”d” look. Battle scars are part of a bird guns story. It takes a lot of work to make one look well used. Get that beauty out of the safe and stop worrying about it. You can’t take it with you.
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Brewster11 wrote:
B.

They were made to use. Why waste your money by not enjoying something that’s tailor made to hunt birds. I could never let a gun like that sit. I would buy it to use it and if it gets damaged a good gunsmith can fix it up. Besides, it’s very difficult if not impossible for a smith to give a gun that used “patina”d” look. Battle scars are part of a bird guns story. It takes a lot of work to make one look well used. Get that beauty out of the safe and stop worrying about it. You can’t take it with you.

Here here!!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

As most of you know I have a nice collection of L.C. Smith Graded guns and some Best Euro/German guns also. I can assure you that they are used to hunt birds each and every season just as the members of my family used them for many many years.

I agree these guns were made to hunt with and not sit in a gun safe or gun cabinet.
No matter the cost or what the gun is worth, they can always be repaired or restored if they get worn or damaged.

The better the gun the more it should be used. I remember hearing this from my Grandfather when I was just a boy. Of course proper use and cleaning are the responsibility of the owner also.

A quality gun is a tool like any other, use it properly and maintain it properly, and you will be able to pass the gun down thru the family, to the next generations.

Having good L.C. Smith, J.P. Sauer, Purdey, AYA or H&H guns in the family, it's the responsibility of the current owner to use the guns for their intended purpose and keep it them in perfect working order for the next generation.

This is a tradition in our family and it has been going on long before I was ever born.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:21 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

As most of you know I have a nice collection of L.C. Smith Graded guns and some Best Euro/German guns also. I can assure you that they are used to hunt birds each and every season just as the members of my family used them for many many years.

I agree these guns were made to hunt with and not sit in a gun safe or gun cabinet.
No matter the cost or what the gun is worth, they can always be repaired or restored if they get worn or damaged.

The better the gun the more it should be used. I remember hearing this from my Grandfather when I was just a boy. Of course proper use and cleaning are the responsibility of the owner also.

A quality gun is a tool like any other, use it properly and maintain it properly, and you will be able to pass the gun down thru the family, to the next generations.

Having good L.C. Smith, J.P. Sauer, Purdey, AYA or H&H guns in the family, it's the responsibility of the current owner to use the guns for their intended purpose and keep it them in perfect working order for the next generation.

This is a tradition in our family and it has been going on long before I was ever born.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Well said Dave, although I have made similar statements as to being “afraid to take that thing afield “, it’s more of a statement of appreciation than truth. And truth is, it’s a crying shame to not use a tool for its intended use.
hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:21 am  Reply with quote

Deleted. Double post.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:31 am  Reply with quote

I get the point folks. The AyA is going to get a workout this fall. It needs it.
Thanks
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

I was not trying gaud you into using your AYA #2 gun, it's your double gun you do what you have intended with it. I was simply relating what our family has done with our good double guns down thru many generations.

There are many collectors of fine guns that never use them to hunt with.

Because of our family tradition of Grouse hunting, our fine double guns are used every season to hunt many different kinds of birds, especially Grouse & Woodcock.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/potLQ2Fvj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pn5sBEjOj] [/URL]

Cool

A man can only take so much restraint.
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

I just sold this #2 for the widow of a long time hunting partner. I e-mailed AYA to get the specifics and one of the owners answered within a couple of days. I was impressed by the prompt reply.

Good Hunting,
Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

That's a beauty, Mike. 12 gauge?
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Yes it was a 12 ga and if it were a 16 I would have 1st offered it up here. According to AYA it had upgraded #1 wood and gold washed locks. I know very little about Spanish guns but they seem like a good value for the dollar spent, especially in the used market. That Holland & Holland action and lock design have stood the test of time.

Those 16’s posted look great.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

AYA makes some beautiful bird guns, the #2 guns is one of my favorites!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The AYA #2 16 gauge gun Ken just picked up is just fantastic! One serious Grouse gun for sure.