16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  2020 hunting season 16 gauge attack, what's yours?
Rick O
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 am  Reply with quote

...Looks like Canada is a No Go this October,so the Model 12 Duck will probably stay cold and my GoTo 16ga Mod. 12 will take care of the Duck Work,with some 16 ga Mod.21 and 870 mixed in...

Good Luck everyone!
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:53 am  Reply with quote

IDcut wrote:
I returned yesterday from a chukar quail and hun hunt. I took a 16 gauge N Guyot at 5 lbs 14 oz and a Ugartechea 16 ga model 30 at 6 lbs 4 oz. The Guyot got all the action, with a 1/2 dozen chukar put in the bag between my friend and I, an awesome whiff on a good sized group of huns that jumped up about at my feet in some knee high grass.

We were heading back to the rig and I was busy talking to my hunting partner when the huns jumped...startled us both! We should have been watching the labs a bit closer! He fired 3 shots and I fired both barrels on the Guyot, without so much as lifting a feather! Lots of quail were seen but most were still very young birds, so we left the quail alone.

You get to hunt chukars and huns already? Lucky you. Our season doesn't start until the 9th.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
IDcut
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Yes UncleDan Fan, it opened for uplands on Saturday the 19th. From what I saw, in the area we hunt, there was a good hatch of chukars and as I indicated in the previous post, the quail hatch was looking good on numbers as well!

Some folks complain that the season opens too early due to the immature birds and the heat. Evidently the Fish and Game listened to them at the time (3-4 years ago) to consider pushing it back to around the time it opens in WA. When it was all said and done, the F&G left it as it has always been...mid Sept! The majority of the quail we saw were predominantly young birds, where there was a mix of older and younger birds with the chukar.

I'm sure there is great anticipation with you for the Oct 9th opener and I hope you encounter a good population of birds this year!
Fortycaliberglock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 am  Reply with quote

For pheasant and chukkars it will be a Poli 16 gauge with 32 in barrels and mod/mod chokes. For bobwhites, a Bernardelli 20 gauge with 26 in barrels and IC/mod chokes. For waterfowl, the Model 21 with 30 inch barrels and mod/IM chokes. Mostly, I can wait to get afield!
df
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Will take either my new A5 SW 16 or 16 ga heritage Citori to Ks, but bird population is terrible. Hail storm killed the hatch.
win7stw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

These are going to get worked hard this year

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:21 am  Reply with quote

16 gauge RBL will see the bulk of duty in the uplands -- both for California and South Dakota wild pheasants. It will see a couple nice sunny days in the duck blind as well.

The 16 gauge Bernardelli will see preserve duty and may accompany me on a Nevada chukar hunt since the sling it features makes it nice to carry over long distances and heavy hiking.

The Fox Sterlingworth and/or LC Smith Field Grade may make a guest appearance for a preserve hunt or two -- but my supply of nontoxic RST loads is almost gone and we are prohibited here in California from ordering ammo online Sad.
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

A composed pair of Army & Navy 16’s and a couple of guns in another gauge. One of the 16’s is below and the stockmaker is putting the finishes touches on the new stock of its mate. He made the below stock last year.

Good Hunting,
Mike

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago, VERY nice !

I took my Browning A-5 3 shot dove hunting this afternoon

Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
A composed pair of Army & Navy 16’s and a couple of guns in another gauge. One of the 16’s is below and the stockmaker is putting the finishes touches on the new stock of its mate. He made the below stock last year.

Good Hunting,
Mike

A beauty and classic indeed. My AyA is getting its triggers and patterns tuned with Jin Eyster and should be coming back any day now. I've had to get requainted with shooting a game gun with my Iside which is stocked and balanced the same as the AyA. It took about 600 rounds of sporting clays with my Iside to fully get the heavy summer target guns out of my system, but the recipe for magic was rediscovered thankfully.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. He sort of missed on the teardrops but the stock fits like a glove and the inletting is tight.

I hope everyone enjoys the hunting and shooting this fall. I have read about a lot of great hunting trips by various folks.

Good Hunting,
Mike
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

win7stw wrote:
These are going to get worked hard this year

A lovely collection of A5's and what appear to be Klein screwdrivers!
win7stw
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Good eye on the Klein screwdrivers

nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:
Number 1 gun is a Citori Superlight Feather 28” barrels with Briley extended tubes in SK and IC
Browning A5 Sweet 16 28” barrel with IC or SK tubes
A.H. Fox A Grade, 28” barrels with chambers reamed to 2-3/4 and chokes opened up to IC and LM from original mod/full.

All are +/- 1oz of 5 lbs 12 oz

Backups are Citori 525 field and Remington Sportsman 48 which mostly live in the safe during hunting season because they are both 7 lbs. I opened the choke on the 48 from full to SK II so I could shoot steel out of it for ducks. Killed a lot of pheasants over the years with it too.

Except for geese and ducks I use my 16’s for everything.

I'm revising my list for 2020:

1. Browning SLF
2. Browning 525 Field
3. A.H. Fox A Grade

I decided an autoloader is a pain in the butt for anything other than preserves, tower shoots, and waterfowling and I much prefer doubles in the field.

The Fox may get bumped up to #2 if I can remember it has two triggers.

Now if I could only find an LC Smith that weighed in under 6 lbs...
AKDan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:17 am  Reply with quote

Ithaca 37,full choke. Ithaca NID, mod and full. Ducks and ptarmigan.