16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Best base layer for well below freezing temps?
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

After years of just “getting by” on the cheap stuff I’ve decided to invest in a solid base layer. There are lot of options out there and it can be somewhat overwhelming. I’m leaning towards something made out of marino wool as I’ve heard great things but have never owned anything made of the material.

What do you guys use/recommend for the most bitter of temperatures?

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Layers and layers

Regular underwear and then
Dupfold Thermax as the base.
Shirt and pants make all things easier, no unitogs

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Underwear-Duofold/s?rh=n%3A5888820011%2Cp_89%3ADuofold

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
silverbowff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Harris tweed field jacket, fireplace and three fingers single malt.😈

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:05 am  Reply with quote

Windstopper material, layering over a good layer of fat accompanied by movement and a flushed bird every 19 minutes.

Beyond that a good cap like a Stormy Kromer and gloves will help.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:14 am  Reply with quote

For truly cold weather I start with a base layer of Under Armour Compression.

It is very comfortable. It won't bunch up when you mount the shotgun. You won't need a bunch more layers to keep warm. It wicks away sweat.

My whole idea about staying warm and still being able to shoot is to use the thinnest layers possible. UA Compression is a good start.

goathoof
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I always use merino wool as the base layer. Even when wool gets wet, I stay warm. The synthetic polys are warm, but there is an accumulated stink factor as time goes on. Difficult to wash the smell out. The poly I wear playing hockey has a permanent reek to it.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:08 am  Reply with quote

I'm a Duofold fan as I don't like itchy wool on my skin, but love wool's insulating and wicking properties. I think most people overdress for cold weather, I like to be well on the cool side of comfortable when starting out behind my dogs, as the exercise will keep me warm. I do remember some mornings on the eastern shore of Maryland sitting in a pit blind where it was impossible to overdress, but I don't do that any more. On upland hunting I've spent many a morning with the temps near freezing hunting in shirt sleeves with a Duofold base layer and being quite comfortable. I do like my Elmer Fudd style Thininsulate caps with the Velcro chin straps on a cold morning and do like the Bob Allen Thinsulate leather gloves for their dexterity and warmth.

IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:32 am  Reply with quote

What do you consider the most "bitter" of temperatures; in the teens or well below zero?

As far as I'm concerned some of the modern lightweight long underwear, top and bottom, a decent medium weight flannel or wool shirt and a comfortable pair of pants, with a medium-heavy weight jacket and your good to go in temperatures in the teens to single digits. I have a variety of cold weather hats I wear, but mainly it will be a wool stocking cap my wife knit for me, if it's single digit or the teens.

If your talking real "bitter" cold like minus 10-40 below. I usually wear the aforementioned modern lightweight long underwear and shirt, along with a down vest and a pair of cold weather coveralls and some boots that will keep my feet warm in those temps, which I have a variety of pairs. as well!

I'm kind of old school, mostly, in my outdoor gear and still wear mainly wool and/or perhaps a pair of FIlson tin pants, along with the more modern underwear material.
Emtymag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Under armor compression is nice if not worn more than a day or 2 or it really starts to smell.

I’ll second merino wool.

My under armor is about worn out and I’ll be switching to merino wool from firstlite. I have some of there other garments and they are second to none.

Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

It is not cheap but Smartwool zip tees are great for cold weather (below 30). It comes in a couple of different thicknesse and I like the 250 weight for cold weather. I don’t think you will find it itchy, at least I don’t. For +30 check out their t’shirts.

Another option is Craft synthetic base layers. Being synthetic you wear it once and it needs a wash. I have used it for hunting, but I mainly wear it for XC skiing and if it is below 10 degrees I go to Smartwool 250.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-new-arrivals/mens-merino-250-base-layer-quarter-zip-sw016355?variationId=E65

Good Hunting,
Mike
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

I haven’t read any replies but will if it’s not scratchy.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:15 am  Reply with quote

Check out KUIU Merino wool I got a set for bowhunting this year. Its not scratchy at all cause I hate that for its weight (very light) its incredibly warm. Not cheap either but worth it IMO Joe
bbrown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:56 am  Reply with quote

I switched to Firstlite merino base layers a couple years ago and they are excellent. Very light, but very warm. They also dry very quickly when you sweat and keep your temp regulated even in warmer weather. Black Ovis also sells good quality base layers and if you watch a site called Camofire.com you can catch them on sale there quite frequently. Black ovis is an “athletic” cut for sizing, so I have had to buy a size larger than I normally would. Firstlite sizing has been pretty true to my normal sizing.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I bought BlackOvis/Camofire merino. They have 3 weight ratings. Don’t buy at full retail, can usually get it for 40% off it so. Reviews say it’s not as good as First Lite, Kuiu, or Sitka, but for the price it’s a pretty good buy.

For synthetic funk. Try a couple glugs of bleach in the wash cycle to kill the microbes.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:57 am  Reply with quote

oops, duplicate post

Last edited by Cheesy on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total