16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Sweet 16 vs original
sneem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

dwr353 wrote:
I have two barrels for mine, a modified I hunt doves with and a full that my gunsmith opened up to Skeet 2. It produces an exceptional pattern on #4 steel shot at 35 yards. Swapping barrels is the only complaint I have. Not really a big deal. I have given up on finding a Mirikou barrel with invectors after years of searching.

You may also try Corsons barrels. I haven't checked but he has a big selection and may have one. Very reliable. I have dealt with him on several occasions.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

i bought the new Sweet 16 A5 as a Christmas present for myself last year. Liked it for preserve pheasants and used it on a tower shoot. I took it out one time this season for grouse/woodcock and found that what it all comes down to is I'm a double gun guy.

It's made well, the wood is pretty, lots of factory chokes available, it's very lightweight, and it handles well. I wouldn't give up a vintage A5 to get a new one, but I wouldn't hesitate to own both if autoloaders were my thing.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

nj gap,

It is very hard to beat a double gun with DT in the Grouse woods, the A5 is a great Pheasant gun however!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
dwr353
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

I love doubles also. I just have to really concentrate on my fundementals to shoot them ok. The hump backs just feel natural to me. I concentrate on the bird not the gun if that makes sense.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have several swt 16's from the 1950's and I like everything about these guns. I have handled and shot a friends "new swt 16" and it is light and shoots perfectly fine. The new gun does not compare to the old guns in looks or quality in my opinion. IF I was going to spend between $1200-$1400, I would be looking for a sweet sixteen from 1953-1961, and would not consider the new gun. I like old guns, old dogs, and old friends...

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Shot these yesterday at a beaver pond with the A5 and Kent 5 Bismuth. They are going on the grill shortly. I have the new A5 and my original Auto 5 like them both . [URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/61535_600x400/] [/URL]
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

There's a whole lot to like about both the old and new ones.
hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have both. Sometimes I shoot the old one, sometimes I shoot the new one. Sometimes I shoot a side by side. Blessed to have multiple. Shoot whatever the mood or game dictates. Life is too shot to shoot just one shotgun.
SweetAndNot16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 am  Reply with quote

Beagleman wrote:
IF I was going to spend between $1200-$1400, I would be looking for a sweet sixteen from 1953-1961

Why those years specifically?

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks wrote:
Shot these yesterday at a beaver pond with the A5 and Kent 5 Bismuth. They are going on the grill shortly. I have the new A5 and my original Auto 5 like them both . [URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/61535_600x400/] [/URL]

Nice! Do you like to grill the breast meat like steaks, at high heat with the skin on? I like to do that on the stovetop in a pan, with mushrooms, garlic, asparagus and onion thrown in, and let it caramelize. Yummy. The only problem is it creates way too much smoke in the house!
Confused

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:53 am  Reply with quote

I had a chance to buy a regular A5 16 recently, and shot some skeet with it. I couldn't get used to the feel of the action cycling. So different than a double. I haven't shot the new ones yet though. I imagine they are much smoother.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

I several of the old ones and a new one and like them both also . I shoot both equally well too.
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed wrote:
I have both. Sometimes I shoot the old one, sometimes I shoot the new one. Sometimes I shoot a side by side. Blessed to have multiple. Shoot whatever the mood or game dictates. Life is too shot to shoot just one shotgun.

+1 Hayseed.
From all of last pheasant season and so far this pheasant season,whenever I go I always take 2 sometimes 3 guns. The one that ALWAYS goes is the New A5 SW16. Its just that good for me. Just got back today from a run. The other gun I had along was my 1935 Ithaca NID that I got from another member this spring. Shot a limit with with each,different days.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Sweetand not16, 3 reasons: 1953 starts the speed load feature, rust blued, reddish wood. I own a 1952 that is an excellent gun, but no speed load. I also own a 1965 and the blond wood and the receiver finish is okay but not as desirable TO ME. I just think thoses years are the"sweet spot" for sweet 16s. Maybe '62 and '63 as well...

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Beagleman: You could always add speed load. Nice feature.