16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Sweet 16 vs original
dwr353
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I have reached the point of my life where I am finding myself culling the gun safe. I have a late 60's Sweet 16 that is my gun of choice. I grew up shooting hump backs and nothing works as well for me. I recently handled my first new A5 16. It pointed and felt good. Looking for opinions on if there is any reason/ advantage to getting a new one. Will be used for ducks and doves. Other than invector chokes, any thoughts? Thanks.
Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:26 am  Reply with quote

I've owned a vintage Sweet 16, and currently own a New A5 Sweet 16 - in my opinion the new Sweet 16 is F-A-R more preferable.

The gun is extremely light, has a nice feel to it, and interchangeable chokes offer a huge advantage.

In comparison, although I tip my hat to vintage Sweet 16's, they are bygone technology. They are not light weight in modern terms, and most of the ones I've seen have been compromised in one way or another. The one I owned was circa 1970 but somebody had put a Moroku barrel on it and it just didn't work for me. Would I consider buying another one ?, maybe - but it would have to be in original condition.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:53 am  Reply with quote

For your use the light weight of the new model will probably not be needed if you are not carrying it across fields all day. I would stick with the original and maybe have tubes put in the barrel for the steel shot, however Boss Bismuth loads work great as it is.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:09 am  Reply with quote

I'd only go with the new SW16 if you needed the light weight, and for your ducks and doves I don't see the need. Honestly, I had an "ick" reaction the first time I looked at the new A5 and saw the lovely engraving and screws were replaced with torx screws and non-engraved graphics. I bought one anyway, modified it to make it more comfortable, but in the end it went away.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:13 am  Reply with quote

dwr353 wrote:
I have reached the point of my life where I am finding myself culling the gun safe. I have a late 60's Sweet 16 that is my gun of choice. I grew up shooting hump backs and nothing works as well for me. I recently handled my first new A5 16. It pointed and felt good. Looking for opinions on if there is any reason/ advantage to getting a new one. Will be used for ducks and doves. Other than invector chokes, any thoughts? Thanks.

The largest reason for an A5 purchase appears to be in order to keep up with the Jones family.....new stuff sells.

Secondary reasons such as a 16 gauge, lightweight, modernity, the appeal of sawdust, etc. are not to be sneezed at either.
It's nice to have options...nicer still to not be swayed by marketing and must-haves.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:43 am  Reply with quote

I agree with dave, "ick" is exactly what I thought also. It feels cheap, but its not by price. Lots of issues with some of them. Have no idea why browning went with a benelli system. My sweet 16 carries and handles very well. Have second barrel with screw in chokes. In my opinion don't get any better, unless you just need(want) a new shotgun. I would suggest keeping the tried and true auto 5 very close, when the new one needs to return to browning, you wont miss a beat
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:45 am  Reply with quote

I've never owned either and won't but quite a few of my shooting chums shoot Brownings and those who shoot the older ones don't seem to have a very high opinion of the new ones. Just an observation.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
df
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:53 am  Reply with quote

I had one of the newer “old style” sweet 16s. Liked it, but I shoot lot of different shotguns and found that it took some getting used to, each time I took it out. Sold it five years ago. I now have the new SW16. Have not had it long and have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it. I shot it well, it’s quite a bit lighter than the older style. Frankly neither would be my “go to” shotgun, but of the two, I think I prefer the newer SW16.
dwr353
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am  Reply with quote

I have two barrels for mine, a modified I hunt doves with and a full that my gunsmith opened up to Skeet 2. It produces an exceptional pattern on #4 steel shot at 35 yards. Swapping barrels is the only complaint I have. Not really a big deal. I have given up on finding a Mirikou barrel with invectors after years of searching.
dwr353
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:38 am  Reply with quote

I have two barrels for mine, a modified I hunt doves with and a full that my gunsmith opened up to Skeet 2. It produces an exceptional pattern on #4 steel shot at 35 yards. Swapping barrels is the only complaint I have. Not really a big deal. I have given up on finding a Mirikou barrel with invectors after years of searching.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

dwr- there are barrels out there with chokes for sale. ebay or art issack. expect to pay north of 600.
dwr353
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Is art issack a smith or dealer?
dwr353
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

I found his site. Thanks
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yes sir your welcome. You will probably talk to brad or nick. Good guys.
sneem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I love my 1961 Sweet 16. It is solid steel and wood. Old School all the way. Handles well and functions flawlessly. It is lighter and quicker than my Light 12. Kills roosters just as dead.
I have handled the new so-called Sweet 16. Just an imposter. Does not have the solid feel of the original. Not being able to use steel shot is little missed. Plenty of alternatives. I don't feel there is any comparison between the two. Original Sweet 16 all the way.