16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  mid-season load check
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Ammo-wise, how is the game shooting going? Any "Ah-Ha's" or "Ughs!"?

Once again the B&P 5's are performing extremely well on pheasants. The grouse and woodcock I've taken were all with Rem. Game Load 7.5's. I've got some hand loaded 7's that are next up for any further grouse hunts.

I took one duck with 16 gauge Boss bismuth 5's, but I was shooting my Remington 11 so poorly I shifted over to my 12 gauge BSS the afternoon of opening day and had good performance with Kent bismuth 5's the rest of the way.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Since everything I hunt with are handloads.....the 1 1/8 oz. of lead 6's I use are taking care of pheasants and sharptails and when I have to use non-toxic shot, Bismuth 5's have killed every bird I have shot at.

The more I use the Bismuth, the more impressed I am with it.

However the longer I shoot a shotgun the more inclined I am to believe that the ammo, choke and shotgun are about 5% of the deal the rest is up to the person pulling the trigger.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:15 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Since everything I hunt with are handloads.....the 1 1/8 oz. of lead 6's I use are taking care of pheasants and sharptails and when I have to use non-toxic shot, Bismuth 5's have killed every bird I have shot at.

However the longer I shoot a shotgun the more inclined I am to believe that the ammo, choke and shotgun are about 5% of the deal the rest is up to the person pulling the trigger.

Damn, that means I must be good. Very Happy
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

I don't doubt you are!!

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:28 am  Reply with quote

I've got a couple days of venison shopping this weekend and then I'm headed back to South Dakota. Life is short, and there are birds to be hunted!
df
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 am  Reply with quote

As usual, Golden Pheasant in #5 lead worked well for me, on pheasants. Actually shot a couple surprise bobwhites with that same load. They’re in the freezer.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Gent's- DF no surprise there the GF # 5 works great on wild Ringnecks in my 16's. I used them again in South Dakota as well. I've been using Federal Premium copper coated 8's for woodcock and early grouse in my 28, but I'm about out and they don't make them anymore I'm afraid. I've been substituting AA Super sports in 8's and 7.5's and like them as well.
For geese I use Federal Red Box 3" BB's, ducks I use same load in 3's. I still like the Kent Bismuth 5's for ducks in the 16. I haven't hunted ducks that muck this year shot a few at camp last few days Cooper likes to swim out to get them.