16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2020 hunting season photos-- lets see them
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:29 am  Reply with quote

It's not bird hunting and definitely not 16 ga, but it's all I've got so far... Haven't seen a buck except on camera this season and we can only shoot anterless the first two weeks of the season so I decided to put some meat in the freezer.

Shooting a 1952 Remington 722, in .257 Roberts. My Granddaddy taught me to shoot a deer rifle with a Model 722 in .257 45 years ago. It took me all this time, but I finally found another one, just like it. This is my first deer since then that I've taken with this particular rifle, so it has a lot of sentimental meaning for me.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Remington 722's are great rifles. I have one in .222. Nice deer, I like your pulley system Joe
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I have 722s in 22-250 (was a 300 Savage), 257 Roberts, and 222 and a 6mm.

721s in 30-06 and 35 Whelen (35-06)

Fun and accurate guns

Mike

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

This was Marty's first ND limit. He is figuring out these wild pheasants and I am figuring out where we need to hunt. We did it right on 10/30/2020.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Above grandad reference reminded me of last years deer. Grandpa gave me this one when I was 7. I had her restored in my late 20s and finally took a deer ( first one since before WWII) last season. Just wanted to take any deer with it. Hunted rabbits and squirrels with it as a kid.
Poor squirrels never had a chance with that scope and full x exfull chokes.
Oh 16x16x 6.5mm

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 am  Reply with quote

Love the look on your dogs face MSM. Looks like you are liking the move you made to ND.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Soggy, Marty was not happy that I made him sit for the picture. Typical GSP big personality, and he wanted to pickup the birds.

As far as ND goes..... I am very happy that we moved here, for a lot of reasons. Peace and quiet and reasonable people go to the top of the list.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:51 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Soggy, Marty was not happy that I made him sit for the picture. Typical GSP big personality, and he wanted to pickup the birds.

As far as ND goes..... I am very happy that we moved here, for a lot of reasons. Peace and quiet and reasonable people go to the top of the list.

My oldest GSP, Bode, hates pictures too. All my hunting pictures of him are either him on point looking like he's king of the world or sitting by a pile of birds lookin like he's just been beaten. I envy those hunters whose dogs look ecstatic sitting for a picture. I suppose as long as you're getting birds, that's all that matters. Congrats on your limit of those long tailed rascals.

fallschirmjaeger
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Jta5er wrote:
Above grandad reference reminded me of last years deer. Grandpa gave me this one when I was 7. I had her restored in my late 20s and finally took a deer ( first one since before WWII) last season. Just wanted to take any deer with it. Hunted rabbits and squirrels with it as a kid.
Poor squirrels never had a chance with that scope and full x exfull chokes.
Oh 16x16x 6.5mm

Beauty of a drilling. Grandpa had excellent taste.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

16 gauge Husqvarna Model 51 built in 1912

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Rick, good to see your knees cooperating and back in the doodle woods. Gil
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

My buddy Galen came down from NY state to due a little Grouse hunting here in the Pa mountains. We had a great afternoon and evening together, walking the Grouse woods. Gahlen has one of the nicest original Westly Richards Drop Lock 16 gauge guns that was ever made, what a beautiful Best gun, wish I owned one just like it.

I was able to take a beautiful young 2nd year female Grouse from my lower West Branch covert, I really wish it had been Gahlen instead of me who got the shot on the bird. He however actually saw the bird go down after I instinctively gunned the bird with my newly acquired 20 gauge 00 L.C. Smith double gun. Man I really like this particular L.C. Smith 20 gauge gun, fits me well and swings perfectly with the 28" barrels. Deadly Grouse gun no doubt about it. Not an easy shot thru some thick trees and the Grouse went down. Galen located the feathers just on the other side of the small stream, then Shadow trailed and found the winged Grouse.
The nice bird got under the stream bank and I had to give Gahlen my gun so I could dig the Grouse out from under the bank. The entire time Shadow was right there with me, it was just fantastic.

Thanks to Galens sharp eyes I got a nice Grouse that I thought I had missed completely. Pine Creek Shadow is turning into a serious young Grouse dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

We had 5 Grouse contacts in 1 Hr and 10 min, only one Grouse set up for gunning. The only bird on the wet ground all evening, and Shadow pointed it, the bird then out foxed the puppy by moving thru the stream, Shadow then came back around to move the bird into flight at her original point location.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:33 am  Reply with quote

Great Story Dave. Did you ever get to go on your midwest hunt for grouse? I know you were looking forward to that before the Covid really hit. I had beautiful(mostly) dog work yesterday afternoon from Cooper. He pointed the first woodcock and I flushed and shot it and marked the bird down. Cooper started to go for the the retrieve and pointed another on the way. When I flushed it it flew over a horse pasture with an E-Fence. I did not shoot because I was afraid Cooper would get hit by the fence going for the retrieve. Anyway that lost opportunity evidently was all that was on his mind and I had to locate the bird the 1st one dropped by myself. We hit the last little patch of cover he got into the pasture and pointed in the pasture . He would not budge I crawled under and there was in fact a bird there, might have been the one from earlier. It went up and I shot a woodcock in the wide open. We hit the best looking cover of the day after and never saw another. Might be the last birds of the season but good way to end if they were.
[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/61636_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/61637_600x400/] [/URL]
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:53 am  Reply with quote

Soggy socks,

Very nice. It has been years since I have hunted woodcock. I used to love it, had special spreader loads made up and some Britts that were good at finding them. I lived in an area of CT where they did their peenting calls and flights and it was near my favorite fly fishing stream. I watched that crazy free fall they do many times. Woodcock make for a great hunt.

Unfortunately the State of CT thought that they needed a commuter parking lot and the town of Willington needed athletic fields more than the native woodcock needed a home. Then the powers that be decided to change the woodcock season dates in CT. That pretty much ended my woodcock hunting.

I was so fortunate that I had a good solid 15 years of woodcock hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

Great story buddy, glad your dog is coming along, looks like the Woodcock have moved off our mountains due to the 35 degree nights. We did not see one all day, even along the streams. The Grouse hunting was great however.

Ken and I made the UP trip, the weather really sucked, the pup learned a lot and pointed birds from 25 yards, she did some real nice work. Had very few birds on the ground due to the wet snow. Most of our usual coverts were so over hunted that I was ready to leave on the 3rd day. I have better Grouse hunting right here in Potter County, Pa than in the UP. Lotsof birds here right now, last evening in an hour and 10 minutes 5 bird contacts, 3 solid points one bird killed.

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers