16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  1940 Winchester Model 21
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've had this one for quite a while, it's been a pheasant/quail/grouse/woodcock gun at different times for me then I wound up using it for Hunt Tests. That's also become the fate for my Lefever so it's time to thin the herd.

1940 Trap grade 16ga with ejectors, two triggers and chokes of Modified in the right and Cylinder in the left of its 26" barrels. This gun is not original, in that it had a replacement stock on it when I bought it. It's also apparently been refinished at some point and polished to the extent the serial number on the frame is faded. It's still there though, and the barrel/forend iron numbers match. I have a factory letter for it that doesn't tell much beyond the grade and that the long-gone stock was 1/8" shorter than standard. After shooting it for a while I measured the bores and found that the right barrel had been opened to .003". My guess is somebody got tired of trying to remember which barrel was the open one. I wound up sending the barrels to Mike Orlen and he recess choked the Mod to .014" along with lengthening the forcing cones. I have a favorite handload of 7's and it shot 17% tighter in the Mod barrel than the Cyl at around 25-30 estimated yards where I'd set up a pattern sheet.

I'd bought the stock from Fajen as they were going-out-of-business, and got two forends with it. I had it fitted, finished and checkered by a former Bishop's employee who started working out of his home, the same gent who stocked my Remington 700 and who now has my Fox B grade. I asked for and got relatively high dimensions, it's a field gun but certainly stocked to shoot higher than most with 1.25" DAC and 2.25" DAH and a LOP of 14 7/8" to the center of the Winchester pad. The re-stock brought the gun up to 7lbs, I'm sure the BT helped as the gun came with a splinter forend so thin that the front of the latch was exposed enough to catch a glove. The bluing is somewhat worn, not as much as I'd expected with the amount I carried it in the early years of my ownership.
I have some images of the gun loaded up but will take a while to get more of them up to where they can be viewed here.

$5300 will include shipping.

Kirk

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

The images with grouse are from the closest I've come to a true double on them----but it was a report pair with the second taking off at the first shot. Used a Spred-R in the Modified choke.

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/53778_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/53776_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58746_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/58744_600x400/] [/URL]

fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun, and dog. The gun is not for me. But what breed is the dog?
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you, he is Beem our 14 1/2yo Gordon Setter male. He is 8 or 9 in that photo.

I didn't include in the description, but I detect no cast in the stock.