16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody use this collar yet
win7stw
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Battery is going to hell in one of my collars. Hardly ever need to correct my dogs but when I do one dog barely needs any stimulation and the other one needs a bit more. I am liking the idea of separate dials and buttons. Also run beepers on my dogs so this thing looks like the real deal to me.

https://www.dogtra.com/products/remote-training/hunting/tb-dual-2-dog

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

I've always used TriTronics/Garmin, and I've had several over the years including their upland models. Currently I use a 550 Pro for training and field work, and it will turn on and off a beeper accessory remotely. You can't pre-set different levels for running two dogs at the same time, but I don't do that very often so it's not that important a feature for me. I can see where that is useful for your needs and it is a great feature.

Dogtra, DT, and SportDog have always seem to be trying to keep up with TriTronics/Garmin when it comes to training collars, so I will be very interested if you get one of these how it works for you.

Good luck with it and I'll be looking forward to the review Very Happy
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:53 am  Reply with quote

I really like my Dogtra Dual. Bought it from The Collar Clinic in Michigan. This is my 2nd season with it. I have 3 Eng Setters, and often run 2 together. I rarely use the correction/shock function. I never use the beeper function either, but do use the locator beep and my dogs will recall with the vibration mode as well. I have an older Dogtra collar alsso and it has lasted a good 10 years. It is still functional, and I carry it wth me as a back up or. loaner

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Win7,

The new Dogtra collars are good for medium to short running dogs, the beeper is pointed at the ground under the dogs neck. Dogtra did this to make more money, with the combo beeper/shock unit, however if you want the best Dogtra collars pick up a used Dogtra T&B Collar from collar Clinic. A 2000 or before model has the beeper separate from the shock unit, it sit top side behind the dog ears. You can then hear the beeper from a lot further away in the Grouse woods. The very early 1800 model is even better with out-board antenna and small controller, this unit is good for approx 2 miles in the big forest. Very hard to get one of these very early Dogtra T&B units now.
I have numerous older Dogtra T&B units we train with every day.

Good luck with your purchase.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
win7stw
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Dave PM coming your way

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Win 7,

Check you PM, answer given.

Pine Creek/Dave

If you do not purchase it I will!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

My concern about collars other than the Tri-Tronics/Garmin is the range. My old beat up Tri-Tronics has much better range than my new DT Systems 1450 RAPT.

I have GSP's, they do not run big and with the Tri-Tronics they are never out of range. Which means they are always within 100 yards absolute maximum. The DT collar cannot handle that range especially if the land rolls a bit. Too bad, because the collar has all the features that I wanted, vibrate, nick, beeper collar.

Not sure how the Dogtra collars are, but I would want to know.

For me, next year it is back to Tri-Tronics.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019

I also have a Garmin Mini 550 Pro GPS Tracking Collar that I use with my Dogtra Collars if I have a real big running Grouse Dog. Most time however I do not need it.

The older Dogtra T&B are still the best Collars on the market today IMO.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainer

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave,

What does 'big running' mean?

win7stw
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

They claim they have a mile and a half range

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:46 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

We regard a big running Grouse dog to have somewhere near a 400 yard Grouse circle (Swing), from where the master is standing. 200 yard circle medium and under 100 yards short.

Each Grouse dog trainer may have a different interpretation as to the big running, this is ours here at Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers, in our Pa forest.

Pine Creek Penny our incredible female Gordon Grouse dog had a 400 yard swing, and was one of the best Grouse Dogs we have ever owned and trained. I wish the Garmin people had invented the mini Pro 550 GPS tracking collar, when she was a young Grouse Dog, I could have used it when locating her on point many many times.

This is why it is important to have a beeper collar designed with the Beeper up behind the dog ears, so it can be heard from a long distance for locating a big running dog on point. I use the master initiated Beeper every 30 seconds or so when the dogs are way out on point, to locate them. Now with the addition of the Garmin mini-550 pro GPS collar I am able to keep the beeper noise down to one or 2 beeps and seldom if ever spook a Grouse with the beeper.

Some times a mature Spooky Grouse will only hold for 1 or 2 Beeps when the dog has pinned them, the real smart ones will start to relocate their safety zone just because of the noise. Long ago I wanted Dagtra to incorporate a hawk scream as a locator devise, it fell on deaf ears at that time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:26 am  Reply with quote

You folks must still have pretty even hearing to be using a beeper collar. When I was younger I used them and I could walk right to the dog when they were on point and I kept the beeper on point only, because I hate listening to the things. I still have good hearing but it is not the same in both ears and I find it difficult to determine the exact direction of the beeper, especially in the wind.

So these days I use the Garmin Alpha with a Fenix watch and once the canopy and understory thin out I can see my dogs 90% of the time. I actually use the unit more often when hunting pheasant in the switch grass or standing crop land. The silence w/o the beeper is a blessing to me.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

I agree the master initiated locator beep is the only way I use my collars, I never used the other modes at all. Love the natural sounds of the Grouse woods, the back up beeper is not a natural sound in the Grouse woods.

Lucky my hearing has not faded, some of my hunting partners are not so lucky and they miss a lot of what is going on in the woods.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Unfortunately that silence comes at a cost as we age. The Garmin Alpha units are not cheap so I understand folks using beepers - mucho cheaper.

For most of my youth all I needed was a bell on my dogs and I could walk right to the dog when it went on point. Then I had a shorthair with more range and I bought one of the first beeper units that came on the market and the darn thing beeped all the time. God bless some fellow in Michigan who developed one with a point only signal the very next year. I think I only had to use that beeper on one other dog and I am now working on my 14th pup.

I wish I could provide some insight on the Dogtra collars. A buddy uses them and has no complaints but his dogs are typically less than 75 yards away. All of my other hunting buddies use the Garmin units.

Good Hunting,
Mike
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have used the Dogtra 2500 T&B for several years now. I have no complaints. It is a very durable unit and I like the point only mode. I run my dogs with a bell and use the point only mode. My dogs never get more than 60 yards and the beeper makes it easy to find my Britt and my Shorthair in heavy cover.