16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Over pressure on some old data
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:43 am  Reply with quote

If you visit the hodgdon site it states.055 crimp depth.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:18 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

I knew that Hodgdon stated it somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:25 am  Reply with quote

Mark
If you go to hodgdon site , select shotgun, education at top of page. Then select reloading for beginner's, then it has a tab on the left, effects of crimp depth. It states it all right there.
I load all mine to this standard, but i can see where people get confused cause not all manf. crimp their shells to saami spec. The big ammo guys have their own loads and their crimps are most likely within the spec for that manf. Sure would make it a lot more simple if there was just one spec and everyone wrote load data and loaded to it. Then again we would have less to talk about.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

So this is kinda nit pickin' but SAAMI doesn't have a crimp depth spec.

.055" is something Hodgdon and Allinat came up with.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Mark
I agree with you 100%. I guess each to his own. I know I just measured some Monarch 28 gauge shells and they are like .075. They get the job done, but like you were saying, unless you got the same things measured to a nats ass and chronograph at least 10 shells your pissing in the wind. I've never had a problem with crimp depth at .055 so I'm gonna stay with it. If it happens to be .060 then its getting pushed in the chamber and the trigger pulled. I typically don't load to the far end of the chamber pressure spec anyway. And if you do, not like your barrel is gonna go boom. Common sense is King
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Mark
I agree with you 100%. I guess each to his own. I know I just measured some Monarch 28 gauge shells and they are like .075. They get the job done, but like you were saying, unless you got the same things measured to a nats ass and chronograph at least 10 shells your pissing in the wind. I've never had a problem with crimp depth at .055 so I'm gonna stay with it. If it happens to be .060 then its getting pushed in the chamber and the trigger pulled. I typically don't load to the far end of the chamber pressure spec anyway. And if you do, not like your barrel is gonna go boom. Common sense is King

Shells vary more than that. It is just a plastic sleeve getting pinched shut after all, anything but precision. I kinda sorta average mine, but even on a single shell, it isn't unusual to find one side of the shell has a .070" distance from top of crimp to top or rolled edge, and then get .085" on the other side of that same shell. The plastic shells just are not that precise. Anyway, I crimp mine to .080", and that is a good depth for hunting ammo.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

megasupermagnum,

Finished shells are typically a lot more uniform than .015" around the circumference of the crimp. Normally within .005" at worst.

I won't comment any further as I think we are beating a dead horse.

Be well and good hunting.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mega- I hear what your saying and if it works for you then keep doing it. Me personally I like my shells to be as exact as possible, including crimp depth. To me just looks like a better put together shell. I have been reloading for awhile and never had a FTF or any issue, so I’m gonna keep on trucking. Do I think your loading is unsafe, nah, but you had opened the discussion with why things were amiss. I believe it has been explained pretty well, at some things that you could look at and do to compare results. It takes time and lots of dedication to look at this stuff, shoot, make changes or whatever.
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

That depends on the hull. Certainly some good hulls, these Federals for example are quite consistent. On the other hand, some others are like Cheddite can vary. I like mine to be as exact as possible as well, and I personally hate that BPI is pushing the lower quality components as hard as they are.

I do have a Pressure Trace II system, but I have not seen Federal 209 primers in so many years now, I'm not sure how I could ever run that test. No doubt deeper crimps raise pressure, no need to rehash that. Maybe I'll get out there one day and run some of mine with the Federal 209A just to see what they read.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Mega- I just seen federal primers today on line. Gun broker to be exact. And also 209A. As far as hulls I have pretty good luck with cheddite hulls. I’m In need of a chronograph, but from what I’m reading and talking to Labrador and megnetospeed I’m gonna need 2 to get the results I’m looking for. It makes sense to me how it was explained, but.......not sure those results would get me anywhere. I guess if you shot through two, with everything else the same you could compare and come up with a pretty accurate result. Not sure it would be any more accurate then shooting factory loads to get a baseline and then your reloads.
How do you like the trace II ?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

The best way to get a baseline without buying 2 chronos is to send Precision Reloading or Tom Armbrust a load that you can duplicate easily. Send at least a 5 round sample if not a 10. You get the results and now you have a very good reference load from which to correct your chrono readings to.

Make it a load with components that you can easily get and components that produce a nice solid 1 oz. load at 1250 FPS or so. Every time you setup to chronograph, run a couple of warming shots and then send 5 of those loads over the skyscreens. Now you have a correction from a known load and if you get a system like the Trace II you have a reference load from the pressure side also. It is cheap insurance.

You can use that load for years, regardless of different lots of powder and primers. Since you are the same guy loading it on the same equipment, they will be consistent.

Not sure how much you chronograph, but 100 rounds will last you quite a long time.

Trying to use factory loads as a baseline only increases the likelyhood of error in your readings.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Mark- learned something new today. This makes more sense to me. Thanks for sharing. I load for 5 gauges, would be nice to be able to check my loads. Do you have a recommendation on a chronograph. I have been looking at the oehler. I will probably add the trace II at sometime. What’s your opinion on strain gauges? I would like to know pressure also. I know the strain gauge isn’t what the lab’s use, but don’t have 20 grand to drop on test equipment.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:31 am  Reply with quote

RG - last time I used Precision , it was 50 bucks whether 5rds or 10 . If you have 2 loads , send 5 , if you only need 1 load , send 10 . They are enthusiastic about sending you the results !

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

16 ga-
Good to know. I will send them a load. I actually have 2 I would like to get tested.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

If you have the money the Oehler 35P is hard to beat.

If you want something that works for a very reasonable amount. Competiton Electronics makes the Pro-Chrono DLX. I think I have seen them for under $130.00

I use an older model Pro-Chrono with no issues.

Strain gauges are OK and they serve the purpose. I have heard good things about lead loads using them. Not sure I would get into steel shot or the hard non-toxic loads with them, without a test by Precision or Tom Armbrust.