16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Over pressure on some old data
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:
Best wishes on your hunt. Hey I shoot a lot of 28 gauge. Nothing wrong with that. I think most of us cheat on our 16’s. My auto 5 sweet 16 is a favorite. I too get tired of chasing hulls. My sweet 16 chunks them about 5 foot.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/28gasociety/viewtopic.php?p=34264#p34264

Well, just got 1, but nice.sunset...
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Here is the deal.

All these different "better" crimps are BS.

You are only going to get just so good with the crimp and then other variables in/with a shotshell kick in and overrule the crimp.

I have had loads that will do single digit SD's until you are bored to death.....fold crimped at 0.060" on a very common Sizemaster.

There is one load that sucks on this sheet (4th load), but a primer change fixed that. 3 loads, all loaded on a Sizemaster using a very everyday fold crimp, SD's are 2 - 10 - 7. Tom Armbrust did the testing. Look at the EV on the pressure side.

And this is an example of just 3 loads, there are many more!!

Yes the GAEP and other machines sure do put a pretty crimp on the shells, but in the end it won't make a better load.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,
Didn’t you know sir that when shooting birds or clays, you look better doing it with a pretty gun and now pretty ammo.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, you're not even thinking about the same things with crimp I am at all concerning the gaep. In 12ga, with 2.75in hull, 9/8oz 2steel is a max load. Everything fits perfect without fillers, 1450ish fps, perfect duck load. There tends to be some crowning when loaded with mec 600 or sizemaster, and attempting to adjust final crimp to fix results in crushed or buckled hulls usually, as there is no give in the column at all. This standard duck load is usually crimped with a brass or pvc ring slid over hull to avoid hull buckle. The gaep or rto die is merely used to give a good roundover to the crown and remove any bumps, to increase feeding reliability in semiauto. Duckhunting feed reliability is why, not trying to get some improved sd ev nums.

There are 3 or 4 threads right now at the refuge forums about various commercial duck loads being unreliable feeders in semiauto guns due to deviations from round at the crimps. Getting a good radius without bumps is a critical thing for SA hunters.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:53 am  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ,

I get that one load in the thousands might not quite crimp correctly and the GAEP crimpers smooth that out. However that is not what I was responding to. I was responding to culot saying that his loads were consistent.

I have rolled crimp some loads. I have developed roll crimped loads. But if I had to roll crimp loads so that they would run my SA, and I do shoot SA's most of the time for both hunting and clays, I would find another load. Of course that is only an opinion and my preference.

Another opinion concerning that 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. of steel.....I always liked that load in a 3" hull. Fits better, nice internal and external ballistics and it always fed well in Benelli SBE's. Of course these were reloads in the Federal 12 gauge 3" hull with the .090" base, not factory shells.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:34 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

Well that's for the beautiful folks of this world.

Me, I am that average 5'10" 180 lb. guy that shoots SA's. Nothing pretty about my stuff. Laughing Laughing Laughing