16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cedar at Charm School
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

The trainer I use sent me the picture below of Cedar on point during training this evening. I really like the lighting and setting. Cedar is off to Charm School with Jason Gooding in N.W. WI. He should be ready for pick up in a couple of weeks and I will send him back for his PHD next July.

It will be nice to have a dog to hunt with, because Birch is still laid up from the ACL surgery. He is going to need a third surgery because he had an allergic reaction to the filament they used for the repair and they had to operate again to remove the repair.
Good Hunting,
Mike
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Lovely dog
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Looking good, should be a keeper for sure. Nothing better than a young dog fulfilling your expectations and knowing you are going to continue your hunting behind a great dog. Keep us advised on the progress and more classic bird dog photos.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 am  Reply with quote

That’s a gorgeous picture, Mike. I hope Birch has a good recovery.
sbilson
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful dog.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike beautiful Blue Belton Ryman Setter Male, I have a female that could be his twin. If you want a big time Grouse dog do not over train your Ryman Setter. These words are directly from George Ryman. The dog will eventually be good enough to teach you how to properly Grouse hunt. Genetics is everything in a Ryman Setter Grouse Dog. He will train himself in the Grouse woods, all you need to due is become his hunting partner, and take him to the Grouse woods to hunt. Matching wits with a wild Grouse, he will learn in the woods, it can not be taught by a human. Don't let him drive the 4 wheel SUV, Ryman males are notoriously bad drivers.

Have fun with your Beautiful Ryman Grouse Dog! - Cedar is a great name for him, by the way.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
My Grandfather always told me it took a couple of hundred contacts to make a grouse dog and I think that is about right. These days that takes longer, especially if you hunt with friends that have dogs.

What I have the Pros do is introduce them to the collar and nail down yard/field work. They have a good foundation when I send them off. When he goes back for his PHD they will reinforce the earlier training and nail down steady to wing and drop and work on the retrieve. I usually do the PHD work myself, but Cedar can be stubborn, so my guess is he will go back to Jason.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago- Cedar is a great looking dog. Good luck and hope your other pup heals up properly. Joe
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments on Cedar. Looking forward to his return. Getting out today for pheasant with a friend and his Springers.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike your Grandfather was correct and it does take more time today, especially if hunting with other people and their dogs. Sounds like you have a good handle on how you want his training to go.

Good luck with your beautiful male Ryman Setter Grouse Dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Ryman Maggie Mae.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Gorgeous! Is that his natural posture on point, or does he sometimes have a more straight up and down tail? Just curious. I know setters used to be bred with tails nearly horizontal on point, and they would sometimes point laying down, hence the term setter. Beautiful.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get a pup next year. Must. Resist. Looking at puppy pics. Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

Most Ryman dogs point with either a half moon tail or straight across the back, however Pine Creek Ryman Daisy, our beautiful Orange Belton female had a 45 degree tail on Grouse and straight down the back tail pointing Woodcock or Quail. More than likely that is Cedar's natural tail position at least pointing released birds. Maybe higher on wild Grouse however.

Pine Creek/Dave

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan,
His tail position moves a bit depending on how close he is to the bird and the intensity of the scent. Ryman types rarely have a straight up tail like trial dogs, and most are in the straight out to maybe a 45. I had a Ryman named Drummer that was close to straight up with a bit of a sickle to it, but he didn’t display that on all points.

Good luck with your pup whenever you get it.

Good Hunting,
Mike
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
Uncle Dan,
His tail position moves a bit depending on how close he is to the bird and the intensity of the scent. Ryman types rarely have a straight up tail like trial dogs, and most are in the straight out to maybe a 45. I had a Ryman named Drummer that was close to straight up with a bit of a sickle to it, but he didn’t display that on all points.

Good luck with your pup whenever you get it.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Thanks Mike. That's really interesting. Most of the setters you see here out west have vertical tails, as mine does. Probably because Ryman's are known as great grouse dogs? Interesting regional variation.