16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  12 ga pheasant load for Elsies
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have a fave load, reload or factory, for "vintage" 12 ga doubles? I see Federals game load is 1oz at 1290 but thinking that might be a little peppy? The Elsie is a 1940 FW. Thanks

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Rst for factory.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know anything about LC doubles. But now you make me feel bad about shooting steel right up to SAAMI specs from my 1935 Model 12...

I've never been worried about the strength of that gun to shoot full up 16ga loads of any sort. Were the LC Smith guns made with more delicate chambers or barrels that you have to consider 11500psi an issue? I thought everything from that timeframe was built to essentially modern pressure specs?
Thx!
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
I don't know anything about LC doubles. But now you make me feel bad about shooting steel right up to SAAMI specs from my 1935 Model 12...

I've never been worried about the strength of that gun to shoot full up 16ga loads of any sort. Were the LC Smith guns made with more delicate chambers or barrels that you have to consider 11500psi an issue? I thought everything from that timeframe was built to essentially modern pressure specs?
Thx!

The issue is more often the effect of the recoil on the stocks of our LC Smith guns that we worry about. We try to keep the recoil level down to prevent splitting the stocks on our featherweight guns

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Ahh gotcha. I didn't think about the wood at all.

Savage, I bet PineCreek Dave has posted on this, he is all about vintage.doubles. I think he likes RST, but I bet if you search on his name you find some posts.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Ya,pretty much what Byron said. But then I worry about the wood on all the vintage doubles no matter the make. In the 16's Ive never shot more than 1 oz at 1200 for Phez. Probably should do the same in the 12.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I think a standard trap load of 11/8oz shot would work fine for pheasants. Just use 6's in place of 71/2.
Back in the day when I was using a light Mossberg 500 12ga I loaded up a bunch of 11/4oz loads of 6's at 1225fps, the old pigeon loads, and they worked great for pheasant and quail without ponding me with recoil and I didn't worry about changing shells when I got in to a covey of quail.
I also shot a lot of pheasants with 16ga and 20ga guns with 1oz loads

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Byron Whitlock wrote:
Dave In AZ wrote:

Thx!

The issue is more often the effect of the recoil on the stocks of our LC Smith guns that we worry about. We try to keep the recoil level down to prevent splitting the stocks on our featherweight guns

Concur, recoil is a major consideration, I try to load for 1100-1150. FPS on all my loads whether 7/8 or 1 oz. if loading for 12 I would start with 1 oz and go no more than 1 1/8 and keep them on the slower side.

Note the number of LC Smith with cracks on the back of their lock plates that can be attributed to heavy loads teamed with poor design, I think primarily the former not the latter.