16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  federal 16SC100 shot cup
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

anyone know if there is a replacement for this wad? or if anyone has some they wanna sell, let me know please. Thanks
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:39 am  Reply with quote

There is no replacement for that wad.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. Didn't think there would be , but had to ask. Those are from the 60's load data
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 am  Reply with quote

I wish something like that was available. Think of the possibilities!!

The other wad that would be great to have are the old Alcan Kuik-Sert wads. More of a sleeve than anything else but.......

I have thought about trying something similar thin mylar sheets. The downside is mylar likes to drive up pressures......but it is a possibility. Just not sure making a die to cut the mylar makes good sense.

B & P 16 ga. gas seal + various thickness felt wads + shot cup or Kwik-Sert or Mylar wrap, a single stage operation for sure but very versatile. It solves the SP-16 powder migration problem in Federal, Cheddite, RIO etc hulls..

I developed Steel and buffered Bismuth loads using Steel powder, trouble is the loads have to be re-shot because Steel powder was changed. I just haven't gotten around to to sending them out. I used the B & P gas seal, 20 gauge .250 felt wad and a Mylar wrap.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I have thought about trying the gas seals, instead of the fiber wads. I have read good results with them. The problem is the hulls. I have about 100 old federal papers from the 60's, all loaded with fiber wads. Maybe my next order I will get some and give it a whirl. Not sure its real cost effective to have them tested, since I only have a few, most likely will only get 2 reloads if I'm lucky. I guess its more nostalgic then anything.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:27 am  Reply with quote

I have 50 brand new Federal primed paper hulls. I have had them for at least 15 years and I still haven't decided how I want to use them.

I am thinking 1 1/8 oz. #6's for some upland hunting in a Hunter Special that I have choked too tight and even tighter!!

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Mark:
Damn 15 years, that's a long time. I'm not sure I could keep them that long without trying some of them. I have all the fiber wads now, so gonna start this week hopefully. I need to decide if I'm gonna wax the filler wad. The ones that came in the shells were waxed. I know it helps on the leading, but a have plenty of bore brushes. Don't really see how it would make a difference in patterns with waxed or non waxed, could be wrong.
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:20 am  Reply with quote

My experience with waxed wads verses non waxed wads in the brass magtechs hulls is this: non waxed wads yielded at least 200 fps less velocity than waxed. It will be interesting to hear your results with the paper hulls using waxed verses non waxed wads. It should be an educational test for all.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:37 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971,

Well until recently, every 16 ga. shotgun I owned was a repeater and I just couldn't bring myself to use those hulls for hunting and lose them in the weeds. Now that I have a SxS and a Citori the hulls won't even hit the ground!!

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Mark:
Good point. I have chased lots of hulls, time you never get back.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 -- I just tuned into the site, so I'm late to this topic, but I just might have a bunch of those Federal shot cups! I do have a big box of Federal 16 gauge shot cups I acquired several years ago, but I don't know the part number. They are simply a polyethylene shot cup -- not in unit with any over-powder seal or cushion. If Federal only made one size/model of these, then the ones I have are likely the ones you mentioned.

Unfortunately, I am wintering in Arizona, and not near my stuff in Minnesota, and we'll have to wait till I get back there -- sometime in May or June 2021 -- to see whether I've got what you want.

Cheers!
Tony
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 -- I'm outa Quick-Serts, but I have seen them once in a while on eBay, etc. -- even 16 gauge ones, so keep an eye out and you'll find them. For a simple polyethylene sleeve, I duplicate the Winchester-Western Mark 5 sleeve with some strips cut from a rather robust poly bag that once packaged something I can't remember right now. Most simple plastic bags are only about 1.5 to 3 mils (thousandths of an inch) thick. That'll never do. I thought my plastic was in the neighborhood of 10 thousandths thick -- 10 mil. There are 6 and 8 mil plastic bags out there, and maybe they might work. Keep looking and sooner or later you'll find some kind of polyethylene sheet/bag scrap that will do.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:05 am  Reply with quote

Didn't read all this, but aboht what MSM mark was saying above. Starbucks coffee bags are the thickest mylar I know. I cut them up and use inside shot cups when I need to take up volume and small tss is used. Also thick is CrackerJack bags.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Maximumsmoke,

You can buy sheets of LDPE and HDPE of varying thicknesses on the Internet, even Amazon sells it.

The PITA part is to make the die to cut out the Kwik-Sert pattern. I don't have the equipment to do it and it certainly isn't worth having the die made.

I just like to mess around with this stuff.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Mark, Tony & Dave

Thanks fellas, for the good points. I'm always looking on ebay, lately just empty boxes, guess they are collectable.